FRFR wedge solutions and cost comparison

• So I'm looking to eventually get a FRFR (ish) wedge to go with the Kemper to jam at friend's houses or eventually with a band. I know rather little on the topic which is why I'm asking for advice here. I primarily enjoy metal music, so I THINK I'd need something that can keep up with the low end - ie a 12" vs. a 10". But I want to know people's experiences. 10" vs 12". active vs. passive.

I'm not looking for the ultimate in quality and I don't need stereo seperation. I would prefer to carry a single wedge vs. two. However, if getting 2 of a cheaper model will sound better than 1 more expensive one, I am open to the idea.

• Alto TS112a ($300) - I am initially attracted to this option because of the cost. Of course, I don't want to end up with more unused gear to hock because it didn't hack it and had to get replaced later anyway. But it seems like I could get 2 of these guys for the price of one of most of the others.
    • Yamaha DXR10 ($600) - Seems like it hits the sweet spot for the money! Might be the winner here. How's the 10" for the low end?
    • Mackie SRM450 (~$500?) - looks new, but any reviews?
    • Mackie HD1221 ($800) - don't know much about this guy at all.
    • QSC K10 ($750) - I know the K series initially had some very nice reviews. If I can find a good deal on a used one, maybe this is the way to go?
    • Atomic CLR ($1,000) - Obviously I would jump right on one of these, but the price is rather high. I'm doubting I'll be able to find them for cheaper than street prices considering their popularity.
    • RCF? - I have heard good things about this brand but there are a few lines and they seem real expensive...
    • EV ELX112P ($600)
    • others?

Thanks in advance.

• Yamaha DXR 10 seems to be a perfect fit for the KPA, looking at the enthusiastic user's reviews here.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I have a RCF NX-12 SMA. It sounds very good at stage volume but lacks high end and gets kind of mid-rangy when used at low volumes. This is giving me a hard time when I try to tweak profiles at home. But again, on stage it is a great sounding wedge

• I have 2 JBL PRX 635 active 15" 3 way. They sound pretty huge man. I got a good deal on them the pair new for about $1300.Before I bought them i did a lot of review searching online. There were people that had some overheating problems....I have had none AT ALL. So don’t believe all the hype you read on the internet. I would recommend these

ampanddrumsamples.com

Edited once, last by Nims8582 ().

• see that's my thought - why SHOULDN'T I get 1 or 2 Alto's? The price is a PRO, not a CON, especially when I just spent some big bux on the KPA. I intend to read some reviews, but of course I'm looking for some descriptive comparisons, not fanboyisms and uninformed snobbery.

• Don't dismiss the altos because of their low cost. I love my TS115A's. I tried the 12" versions and they sounded great as well. I recommend taking your kemper into your local guitar store and trying out a bunch of speakers.

Here is my current setup:

[Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/hQPpoSH.jpg]

Very cool setup. I especially dig the rack mount.

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

• Nothing beats Matrix IMO. CLR and RCF gets very close though.

But they are expensive.

I also read alot of positive about Alto. Should be very good for the price. I would go to a shop to try out as many as possible before you buy. Even if it would take you a day, it would deff be worth it.

Only you will know what is good to your ears. Make sure you get a 30 day money back guarantie, no matter what you buy. Alot can sound different when other instruments blend in.

• I've had the Alto TS115a's and now the TS112a's.

The TS115a's are obviously bigger and seemed a bit more 'woofy' when using lots of gain/bass.

I sold them and bought the TS112a's as they are smaller, lighter and just as loud and seem a little bit tighter soundwise.

I had the 12's and the 15's at the same time so was able to do A/B comparisons. It was only very very small margins and the 15's are still great speakers. I basically sold them as the 12's were smaller and lighter.

Either is great and everyone who's heard the kemper through them has been blown away.

I should imagine the Yamaha etc are better, but whether they are worth twice/three times the price is debatable.

• Nothing beats Matrix IMO. CLR and RCF gets very close though.

Well, while personal taste is personal taste, and one may want a less accurate but (to them) more appealing tone, nothing beats the CLRs for what they're designed to be: a linear, phase-coherent, transparent loudspeaker device. You're are expected to spend three times the price for... beating them.
    As for the rest, it depends on what you're after :)

• I have a couple of QSC K10's, they sound great for vocals but not so great with modelers and profilers. I'm currently using an EV ELX112P or a pair of ELX112 passive cabs powered by a QSC GX5, to me the ELX series is much better than the K10 for guitar.

I've been wondering how the DSX10 compares to the ELX112P. The only problem I have with the ELX is that the dispersion is not the best, it really makes a difference how you position the speaker where you stand. I'd really like to get a CLR but the price is holding me back.

• Well, while personal taste is personal taste, and one may want a less accurate but (to them) more appealing tone, nothing beats the CLRs for what they're designed to be: a linear, phase-coherent, transparent loudspeaker device. You're are expected to spend three times the price for... beating them.
    As for the rest, it depends on what you're after :)

I guess we can agree to disagree then :) A lot of choises = Good.

• To be honest I use a CLR and really like it. I play all styles live and I like the way it reproduces different cabinets (open and closed) better then anything I have tried. That being said If I only played one style and needed/wanted to save some money, I would buy the DXR10 which I allmost kept over the CLR. I think the DXR10 is probably the biggest bang for the buck.