Kemper A/D converters.

• Hi all. I am new to this forum, but not new to using the Kemper, or recording. I am using the Kempers digital out into a VS2480, and have been for about 3 or 4 months. I've only recorded about 3 hours worth of guitars so far, but I've notice the digital out is not warm, or fitting into the mix well. It's got a very "midrangy" feel and sound to it, that I can't really eq out, even on track channel eq's. I've tried dropping the mids on the Kemper, and still then get a very.... ticky tacky, over compression type sound, that just isn't right. I have a decent RME converter that I really don't want to use, because I don't want 2 conversions on my front end, if I can help it. Honestly....my POD xt live sounded and seated better in the mix, than my 2000 dollar Kemper, and it's kind of pissing me off. Has anyone else experienced this, and can anybody help? I'm Pat, by the way, and I'm glad to be finally a part of this forum. Thanks

Edited once, last by pcerrone ().

• .....should also say...I am using the factory programs. I have a couple of my own that I juiced just a little, but for the most part have that same mid range sound. I actually had other guitars recorded from a Marshall 1987x plexi, into a Palmer pdi 03, but hated killing my head like that, so bought the Kemper. I actually inverted my phasing on the Palmer recordings, and that helped a little, but still, the Kemper recordings stand out, and not in a good way.

• Hey Paults. Thanks for responding. Yes. It has to be. Gets clicks and pops if it isn't set on vs. It sounds good....don't get me wrong. Just not "great." And it stands out in the mix. Any special tricks you use to sort of "blend" it better? Without using effects of course. I'm talking about basic crunchy rythm tracks here. If I want to add effects later is great. I just want good, clean rythm tracks that don't have that mid rangy tone. Thanks for welcoming me, by the way. Glad to be here. Actually looking to be schooled on our really cool device.

• Hi Pat, and welcome! It's the wee hours in Europe, so that could be why no response from anyone there. Also, Memorial Day here in the states ...
    I'd like to help you myself, buy I've not experienced your particular problem. There are many knowledgeable guys here, so be patient :D

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Welcome Pat. Since this is the forum to introduce yourself, you may want to leave this here and open a question in the troubleshooting section (private forum). I think you'd have a better chance of getting folks to respond.

• Welcome.

Does the xlr outs sound better for you?

I use xlr all the time - they work fine - and I don't like the KPA to be master.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• There's nothing 'warm' about a digital out. Nothing cold either and in fact, temperature has very little to do with anything.

It's a digital out, mate. Regardless of product, it's cleaner than an analog out.
    If you absolutely must have the sound of filters bandpassing your signal a-la analog out, you can try emulating that in your DAW but at the risk of sounding dismissive, this sounds like placebo effect if i ever met one. :thumbup:

Either way, the Kemper is a digital product. The only ADC is on the input, not the output.
    If you do hear a difference, it can only be the lack of a DAC.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• You should try an other audio system for the input and output then send the signal using the spdif into the Kemper and get it back with the spdif out.
    It will set the Kemper's in/out out of the equation.
    That's how i work if i think i have bad inputs with a gear.

• over compression type sound, that just isn't right.

I don't think it's the converters. I notice it but I think it's the core sound

the Profiler has no 'core sound'.

please post recordings of the tones you find problematic, along with the rigs used to produce them.

make sure you have the levels (input & output LED) set correctly
    and that the noisegate isn't set to an extremely high value.
    use the latest OS and check that you didn't accidently activate the parallel path feature.

thread moved.

• what mode are you using when recording with the vs2480? IIRC it only had one mode (Master?) that was uncompressed. all the other modes used compression. (mtp?, live etc). I always used the analog ins in the 2480 because of the "warmer" sound.

• The core sound is exceptionnel IMO, just you don't get it at 100% because you loose dynamic when you switch to the browse mode.
    As i said if you think that the input is not so so, take an high level interface, plug your guitar in it, send the signal using spdif, get the result in spdif and monitor on your high level interface.
    Believe me you will have no more doubts about the core.

• The core sound is exceptionnel IMO, just you don't get it at 100% because you loose dynamic when you switch to the browse mode.

What?..

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."