My appreciation for Kemper is increased as learn Axe Fx 2.

• To be fair, Im still in a large noob learning curve with the Axe. And the latest FW 15 has the most realistic amp & cabs Ive heard so far for that device. Older FW versions sound less realistic.

But I find its easier to find things I like (as is) with the Kemper. Of course after using it for 6 months I am very familiar with it now and this makes everything easier. And the tones seem a little more "ear friendly" .

Im bound and determined to enjoy the Axe FX 2 for what it has to offer. Really love the foot controller, Axe Edit software and current amp/cab selections.

I just have to be more patient at this stage of my learning process.

Edited 5 times, last by lasvideo ().

• Guitartone, I rephrased my post to more clearly express my intent.

My point was NOT that the Axe had the best amps & cabs. But the most recent Axe FW version created better sounding ones when compared to earlier Axe FW versions which weren't as realistic. :)

Edited once, last by lasvideo ().

• I wish i could afford to own both for an extended period before making up my mind.
    Eventually, though, i think trying to enjoy both would just complicate things further. Then again, i only own one main guitar. I might just be weird myself :whistling:

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• I heard on youtube the last FW15 Axe-Fx II version.

It's true that it seems to sound better than the previous version.

But it remains still synthetic in clean and crunsh tone.

Kemper sound seems to me very similar to a analog amp sound.

For me there's a very big difference between Kemper and Axe-Fx II sounds (in clean and crunsh tone).

• Sometimes You Tube isnt the best place to hear a true representation of audio :)

Ive heard a few patches on the actual Kemper that sound synthetic and some very analog. Ditto on the Axe Fx 2.

I like them both

(Really like AF Foot controller and Axe Edit software.) ;)

Edited once, last by lasvideo ().

• As I see it, I feel no need for trying another device. Don't take me wrong, I'm not among those who state "I don't see how I cold get better tone with X", this is a nonsense to me. It's rather that I don't feel I'm missing anything. Heck, I was happy with a tube amp and some boxes... now I've got hundreds of them and the best cabs in the world! It's time to improve my skills as a player.

Not blaming anyone of course guys! :thumbup:
    It's just that GAS is over for me ^^

• I sold my Axe II after owning it for about 18 months (I was on FW14). I spent that entire time tweaking it and never was fully satisfied. Bought a Kemper and did some recordings to compare the two units because sometimes I feel my ears play tricks on me if I try to evaluate tones while I'm actually playing. Listening back later works better for me. IMO, the Kemper won hands down for raw amp/cab tone and I feel it is immensely easier and quicker to find great tones. I don't see the point in owning both unless you just want to use the Axe primarily for effects.

Ultimately, I feel that the Axe's weak point was dependence on IRs (which make up a massive chunk of your tone). "Profiling" with the Kemper just results in a more natural and realistic tone vs IRs in my opinion.

Disclaimer: I have not tried Axe FW 15 or "ultra-res IRs" and most of the profiles I use with the KPA are commercial.

To the OP, if you're bound and determined to get on with the Axe, expect to spend a huge amount of time with it. First, there's the learning curve (which never really ends) and then there's hours and hours tweaking. I have no regrets selling mine. Now I can actually play my guitar vs. twisting virtual knobs on a computer editor all the time!

• I am the OP and I own both the Kemper and the Axe FX 2 FW15.

I love learning and using new hardware so thats not an issue. The tones in FW 15.02 hold their own with Kempers. And Ive not found the need for lots of tweaking. I start with an amp and a cab then maybe add a few fx, just like I do with the Kemper.

So your warnings about what will happen if "I am bound and determined" to use the Axe are pretty much unfounded in my experience. 8)

PS - Loving the MFC-101. Amazing foot controller. As well as Axe Edit. Great additions to the Axe FX 2. Wish Kemper had something comparable.

• Loving the MFC-101. Amazing foot controller. As well as Axe Edit. Great additions to the Axe FX 2. Wish Kemper had something comparable.

A 719$ (800€ in Europe) foot controller for the KPA? Not for me...

Enjoy both you Axe and Kemper. One almost perfect device it's enough for me as I don't have enough time to play with two of them and learn how to play the guitar, or how to adjust the pickup heigh of my strat or whatever.

I'm sure FW16 will sound even better and closer to a real amp :evil:

Edited 2 times, last by pacocito ().

• As I see it, I feel no need for trying another device. Don't take me wrong, I'm not among those who state "I don't see how I cold get better tone with X", this is a nonsense to me. It's rather that I don't feel I'm missing anything. Heck, I was happy with a tube amp and some boxes... now I've got hundreds of them and the best cabs in the world! It's time to improve my skills as a player.

Not blaming anyone of course guys! :thumbup:
    It's just that GAS is over for me ^^

I am playing kind of in the same ball park - except that these profiles sometimes make me think about amps I would have never known nor even thought of otherwise.

90% of the game is half-mental.

• Interesting...

"The tones...hold their own with the Kemper", yet in your first post you wrote "I find its easier to find things I like (as is) with the Kemper" and "the tones seem a little more "ear friendly"".

"I love learning and using new hardware so thats not an issue", yet originally you spoke of a learning curve with the Axe and "I just have to be more patient at this stage of my learning process".

Also, the title of your thread is "My appreciation for Kemper is increased as learn Axe Fx 2".

So, basically your thread starts out with some praise for the Kemper over the Axe in both the areas of tone and ease of use. Myself and others agreed with you. Now, you defend the Axe.

Whatever. If you like the Axe...great. If you like the Kemper...great. Have fun.

• Everybody breathe. It's a thread with both the Kemper and Axe FX. The world is not going to spontaneously combust, though Michael Jackson's reappearance as some kind of well-fed steroid junkie is a bit disturbing.

If someone likes them both, no harm done. I'll leave you with a short poem ^^

There are two kinds of people in this world
    The people that eat meat
    And the people that don't
    The people that eat meat like to sink their teeth into something
    The people that don't eat meat like to sink their teeth into something else
    If you believe any of these words
    You are lost

• Always nice to have a level head around, Nightlight. :thumbup:

PS - Im really enjoying the ability to block out rabid fan boys and sad obnoxious folks who hide behind the anonymity the internet affords them. Suddenly...they do not exist :)