Kemper failing to boot… any ideas?

• Ladies and Gentlemen, my KPA Rack has been failing to boot properly, recently. I've had this problem once or twice (on earlier firmware too) but it seems to be almost every time I try to boot it now. Basically, as soon as the boot-progress-bar completes, the display goes to a darker shade of green and just stays there. I can then turn the KPA off and when I turn it on again it usually DOES boot successfully the second time. But as I gig this thing, I am a bit concerned... I have tried a memory/init and restore from backup but that doesn't seem to have fixed the issue. You guys have any ideas what I could do to fix this? I'd really like to avoid sending it in.

You can see the behavior here (at about 0:35):

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

MANY thanks in advance! <3
    Jan

• Gents, thanks for your replies!

Yeah I've had this problem with 1.8something and some Beta version I can't remember. But it's more frequent now, I'm on 2.5.... didn't want to upgrade yet because of the new profiling algorithm in 2.7 (wanted to wait a bit first) but will try with different firmware again and report back.

• Basically, as soon as the boot-progress-bar completes, the display goes to a darker shade of green and just stays there.

Hey Jan, how long do you use to wait? I have this as well specially when I update the OS, and it can last 1' at times. Have you tried just waiting indefinitely and see what happens?

• Guys, thanks again for your input so far! I have updated to the current firmware 2.7 today. Worked well for a few times (i.e. booted without problems), then the same problem popped up again and now it's like before, pretty much all the time. Just like in the video. Will open a support ticket now and report back...

• Hey Jan, how long do you use to wait? I have this as well specially when I update the OS, and it can last 1' at times. Have you tried just waiting indefinitely and see what happens?

Trying it again as we "speak"... I am now at 4 minutes, no change, still stuck. Had it in the studio once without noticing (I was actually checking everything else because of no sound) and that was probably longer than 5 minutes with no change... turned it off and on again and it worked. ?(

Edit: viabcroce, so does it just go away for you? Or do you turn it off and on again as well? Thx!

• Odd that it fails to boot and then boots up normally. Have you created a support ticket? Might have to send it in.

I created a ticket yesterday. Let's see what Kemper support says, will report back!

could you try to delete your rigs (Backup first)
    and load only a handful.
    Do you have more than 1000 rigs in your kemper? This could be a Problem.
    If not it´s a case for Support.

I have 140 rigs on there, that shouldn't be the issue... if I have time tonight I might try deleting all rigs but 1 or something though. However, I wouldn't want that to be the solution as I'd like to use more than 1 rig haha. Contacted support as well, so we'll see! Thanks!

• Trying it again as we "speak"... I am now at 4 minutes, no change, still stuck. Had it in the studio once without noticing (I was actually checking everything else because of no sound) and that was probably longer than 5 minutes with no change... turned it off and on again and it worked. ?(

Edit: viabcroce, so does it just go away for you? Or do you turn it off and on again as well? Thx!

Mhhh... I think it's something different then, when it happens I just wait, no more than a minute.
    Pretty sure the ticket will provide a solution, hopefully via software :)

• No this couldn´t be the problem.
    Have you tried to make a complete restore of the unit?
    Eventually a Corrupt OS or a false bit in Memory?

Mh, not sure what you mean with complete restore, I did do a memory initialization. No change. Also, installed new firmware so I hoped that would take care of any OS problems. So yeah, not sure. I'll see what support says...

• Update:

I received an email from support and have, based on that, done the following.

1) Created a backup on USB
    2) Flash memory erase (as described here: http://www.wikpa.org/Emergency…r_does_not_start_any_more)
    3) Booted a few times into the only rig ("initialized rig")… Seems to be OK now!

As far as I could tell (from booting a few times) that seems to have worked so maybe one of my rigs (or, the main one) was corrupted? I've sent the backup to Support... will report back on what they find.

Until then I'll try NOT restoring the Kemper from Backup (which is what I did before, which didn't solve the problem) but rather to see if I can work with the copies of my profiles I have saved in Rig Manager a while back... maybe they are not corrupted. Will keep you updated!

• Thats great to hear! I hope the Kemper Team can figure out if the problem was a corrupted rig or anything else!

• Alright, after some more contact with the Kemper support team (who have been very kind and helpful, by the way) they didn't find my rig to be corrupt. They suggested doing a specific reset ("pushing and holding the RIG button while you start the Profiler"), but I still have the problems I mentioned. So I guess I'll have to send it in after the current recording project. Thanks anyways for all your help, guys!!

Thats great to hear! I hope the Kemper Team can figure out if the problem was a corrupted rig or anything else!

Thanks man... the rig wasn't corrupted, according to support. Not sure what IS going on, actually...

That´s it what i mentioned.

Reset memory and don´t Restore from Backup.
    Glad to hear your KPA is working at the moment.
    Hope it keep on working and you could put your BU from RM.

Ah, gotcha... didn't get the part about not restoring from backup before ;) Thanks!