Best poweramp for bedroom volume?

• Hi everyone!
    I'm looking for a poweramp to use with my kemper at bedroom volumes, and I'd like to have some advice. The most important thing to me is that it shouldn't have fan noise (ot at least it should be unnoticeable). I've tried one of those Matrix hi-quality poweramps, but regardless the quality of the sound, the noise produced by the fan was too much for me.

So the option I'm considering is the EHX Magnum 44, which seems pretty affordable. At home volumes, do anyone knows if there's so much differences with the expensive ones? I don't care about how it sounds at high volumes, cause I'm not going to use it on that context.
    Another options I've seen are:
    -AMT Tube Cake - It seems to emulate tube sound, so It seems that it's not a great option for Kemper.
    -ISP Stealth - Is it noiseless?

Thank you very much!

• Hi
    I was in the same boat as you, looking for something for bedroom volumes. I bought my Kemper head last month and have bought a Camplifier studio to go with it:

http://www.shop.ritteramps.de/…PA/Camplifier-Studio.html

So far, so good! 25 watts that can be used at 4, 8 and 16 ohm's, so it can be used with a variety of cab's and speaker combinations. It doesn't have a fan either, so is perfectly quiet and its very reasonably priced.

I have been trying out direct profiling this week and it sounds great up against a Rocker 30 into the same cab!

• Carvin DCM200L is a solid, light weight. Fan-less, transparent sounding 1U power amplifier. It put out plenty of volume for gigging too if need be. Did I mention that it's light? Like just a smidgen over 4 pounds light.

• I think you can't get a good bedroom sound with a 1x12 box, because it needs power to sound good and bring you bass and treble. I tryed it with a 18 watt hughes€ kettner and a 1 x12 box. Not my cup of tea. I just bought a frfr from rcf, its an rcf 10" nx sma that you can use at a stage monitor also. This little thing is awesome. On bedroom level it has sound like from a dvd. You feel the pressure but you didn' hit your neighbours. If you crank it up, it blows you away. I have testet it on thr trade fair in frankfurt in the kemper bus and after that i bought it directely. The best sound you can imagine.

• Thanks everyone for your answers :) That Carvin looks like another great option for me, I'll check that Quilter powerblock, I hadn't heard about it! If Magnum works fine it will be probably my first choice since it's the easier to find here.

Eltzejupp you're right and I know I'm not getting the best of an 1x12 at bedroom level, It's just I'm used to that sound and I like it. I tried my Kemper through it with my tube amp power section and, regardless the poor bass response at low volume, I got very nice results. Anyway I'll try to try a FRFR to see how it works, I think I saw one of them on a local store. Studio monitors aren't my cup of tea for everyday playing or practice, just because that feeling of sounding like it was an album.

• @AlvaroQB i know it's an old tread but i am considering various options and a 1x12 with magnum is one of them. What did you choose at the end? how does it eork at low bedroom volumes? Thanks

Ale, just grab a Yamaha DXR10 and you good to go. You can play at low (bedroom) volumes just fine...plus you have the capability to really crank it, if you should get the opportunity. Since the Yammy DXR10 is an active (powered) monitor, you do not need a separate external amp.

Cheers,
    John

• I kinda wanted to try with a regilar 1x12 altrough in both cases the problem is alqays the same.. moving air at low home volume. I hardly do it with one yamaha 5 inch monitor..

• I use the Koch ATR 4502. I only play at home with 2 1x12 thiele cabs with beamblockers.
    The Koch works great on low volume and can go really loud. Before i use solid state power amps. The Koch gives better dynamics.

Edit: i use Eminence delta pro speakers and leave the speakersimulation on. The beam blockers works makes the sound more equal across the room.

• @AlvaroQB i know it's an old tread but i am considering various options and a 1x12 with magnum is one of them. What did you choose at the end? how does it eork at low bedroom volumes? Thanks

I finally modded my Roland Microcube to use its poweramp (I'm in a budget and it was the cheapest solution). Tone-wise I guess it may not be the best option (I haven't compared it), but it sounds good enough for me.

• Hi there,

I use an ISP Stealth poweramp in the practice space/studio, at home as well as at gigs (if there is no board to directly plug in).

It is really small compared to a 19" rackmount unit, a plus especially because you can fit it in any backpack. It does not affect the Kempers sound at all whilst it provides up to a whoping 180 watts of power in "bridged" mode. Add to that the fact that it is considerably cheap (you can get a new one at around 350$ at Musicians Friend/Sam Ash/Thomann - or buy a used one at half that price on Ebay) and you get yourself a really good way to power up your KPA.

Since you´ve asked about a poweramp for "bedroom" use - at home I have a Mesa Boogie 1x12 loaded with a Celestion Vintage 30 - even at low volumes the sound is crispy clear and you can hear every single note.

Little tip on the side here - if you make use of a "high tech" piece of equipment like a Kemper - don´t go the cheap route when it comes to cables - I´ve noted a 100% change in both tone and clarity (to the better obviously) ever since I changed from a noname cheapo brand to Monster cables - bit on the expensive side, but my tone is worth it....

Cheers

• I kinda wanted to try with a regilar 1x12 altrough in both cases the problem is alqays the same.. moving air at low home volume. I hardly do it with one yamaha 5 inch monitor..

I use apair of krk rookit rp6 g3 because :
    They are cheap (ebay is your friend)
    They have a cool range from 38 hz for bassy feeling up to 35 khz. The rp5 are from 45 hz up to 35 khz and not so bassy.

You can turn the volume down i reach a fat and awesome tone.

I dont recomment any kind of frfr for bedroom lev el because you need to much power to reach a good sound exept you buy a hifi like frfr .

I bought my pair with stands included for 280€ on ebay. 3 month old with full warranty.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/381865641180
    Cheers
    Frank

• Palmer Macht 402 is a great choice.

I've been running a 2x12 with v30's and it sounds great, definitely get the amp like thump out if it. Plays great at bedroom volumes and gig levels. Plenty loud enough and half the price of the matrix amps