Need some help/advice on taming a few woofy, booming profiles -- Low Pass filter? EQ??

• Hello fellow Kemperites,

I have a couple of profile/rigs that sound very flubby, boomy and strangely distorted on the low E string. I realize I could switch Cabinet profiles and that certainly can make a huge difference in tightening up the low frequency response. However, everything else considered, I really like how everything else is sounding on these couple of rigs.

So, I was hoping for some guidance and advice in adding some type of EQ to cut or reduce the flub and boom on the low end. What is the best way to go about this? I am not sure where this should be placed...that is, before the stack (in a Stomp slot) or after the stack. Also, I would appreciate any recommendations as to which parameters to tweak in whatever EQ effect might yield best results.

I realize this is a very general question, and I have provided limited information. However, the Reference Manual doesn't really get into details as to how to set-up such a solution. I did look into the WAH-Low Pass effect...but I am not clear as to what parameter does what, and how.

Thanks in advance.

John

• I'm terrible with EQ...that's something I really need to learn

But what I often do in these situations is go into the Cabinet menu and raise the Low Shift parameter. Conversely I'll lower the High Shift parameter to help tame spiky treble.

Im not certain but I think those parameters control 'where' the bass and treble frequencies are most pronounced.

• Try putting the studio EQ after the stack first, and then boost one of the bands by a healthy amount and sweep that back and forth through the frequencies till you find what you don't like (the flubbiness is accentuated). Then pull that frequency down a bit.

Try using the same settings before the stack and after the stack, and go with the placement that gives the best effect.

• I'm terrible with EQ...that's something I really need to learn

But what I often do in these situations is go into the Cabinet menu and raise the Low Shift parameter. Conversely I'll lower the High Shift parameter to help tame spiky treble.

Im not certain but I think those parameters control 'where' the bass and treble frequencies are most pronounced.

Try putting the studio EQ after the stack first, and then boost one of the bands by a healthy amount and sweep that back and forth through the frequencies till you find what you don't like (the flubbiness is accentuated). Then pull that frequency down a bit.

Try using the same settings before the stack and after the stack, and go with the placement that gives the best effect.

Thanks Calaban and Michael,

I very much appreciation the suggestions, and will experiment with both methods.

Cheers,
    John

• Just for the record, a low pass filter lets the low frequencies pass and attenuates the highs, so it would actually be a high pass filter you'd require (although they have yet to be implemented in the KPA @ckemper ;) )

• also consider your monitoring setup:

do the monitors have bass reflex ports? (what speakers are you using?)
    are the bass reflex ports facing a wall, how far away are they?
    are the speakers in direct contact with a hard surface (table)?
    worst case - are the speakers located in a corner?

drastic EQ to adress acoustic problems you have in your room obviously won't translate well into another location, be it live or in a recording.

• Just for the record, a low pass filter lets the low frequencies pass and attenuates the highs, so it would actually be a high pass filter you'd require (although they have yet to be implemented in the KPA @ckemper ;) )

LOL...shows you how much I know about EQ terminology and applications. :P