Bias Head

• I haven't been the least bit impressed with any of the offerings from Bias. In my opinion it's barely on the level of the first Line 6 POD. I don't get the hype around their stuff.

Husband, Father, Pajama Enthusiast

• The KPA does everything i need so i'll stick with that

But they have an editor. :D
    The song has not knocked me down.

Well it was just a matter of time that competitors will arrive the market.
    As we said when I was young.
    Also other mothers could have nice daughters, but I can not try all. ;)

• The saga continues to dethrone the KPA. To each his own sword, whatever that choice may be. Your ears should steer you in the right direction not lights, bells, and whistles.

• I'll tell you where Bias and most other modeler/amp simulator fails = clean and low to moderate gain tones. In fact, anything that isn't high gain. Whatever it is, these things simply cannot capture or reproduce the clarity, chime, and dynamics of a real amp. They just sound fake, harsh, and processed.

I've owned, gigged, and recorded a lot of classic and boutique amps. I have never heard a modeler or other simulation that ever came close until the Kemper arrived on the scene.

Husband, Father, Pajama Enthusiast

• But they have an editor. :D
    The song has not knocked me down.

Well it was just a matter of time that competitors will arrive the market.
    As we said when I was young.
    Also other mothers could have nice daughters, but I can not try all. ;)

Yeah an editor would be great but for me this does not deter me from knowing how great the KPA is. What i hear and how user friendly the KPA is keeps me from looking at anything else

• For the price, the Bias head is a lot cheaper than the KPA (you have to compare it to the powered version of the KPA). For the rest, i was quite impressed by the BIAS amp and FX, very good result (but only on recorded track, never tried to play live). the FX version offers a lot of good fx, and the PEDAL one allow to built/modify your own distortion/overdrive pedal.

I never tried a lot their amp matching, but it seems to be more a tone matching (linear EQ) that a real profiler like the KPA does.

Note that on their web site, they use the term of "amp profile" :)

• Woops...

I didn't see that there was already a thread posted on this, back in September. Mods, feel free to delete, at your discretion.

I was just fascinated by Positive Grid's rather questionable appropriation of key Kemper hallmarks, such as;
    -- physical hardware is curiously similar to the Kemper lunchbox format
    -- integration of solid-state amp with exact same power specs as the Kemper power head/power rack
    -- use of the term "profiles" in their marketing efforts.

However, with that said, I was surprised to learn that the Bias Head has no built-in effects...at least from what I can tell from their published information.

Edited 4 times, last by Tritium ().

• IMHO the key "feature" here is so-called "tone matching", which for me translates simply to "the generation of an EQ curve for a sound and its superimposition onto another one".

Perhaps I'm being unfairly simplistic, but if this is just more of the same "EQ-match" technology that's been around for at least 10 years in the form of DAW plug-ins, the BIAS has absolutely no hope in Hell of getting anywhere near the Kemper.

Here's the thing: The Kemper reproduces a whole lot more than "matched tone". The subtle and not-so-subtle responses to playing dynamics and gain settings replicate those of real tube amps closely enough that many a die-hard "tubie" has had to eat humble pie. Simple "tone matching", even if implemented at all possible dynamic combinations of picking strength and gain settings, is still only what it says on the tin - an EQ curve or set of dynamically-assigned curves that is / are superimposed upon a "model" (not a profile!) of some sort. I don't care how great your curves are (unless you're my dream babe); the artificially-generated baseline sound (synthetic) cannot be magically transformed into something truly authentic through the use of EQ alone. I'm reminded of the concept of polishing the proverbial, and we all know what monkeys do with said proverbials - we fling them at chimps... I mean chumps who'll swallow anything. :D

Cripes, even if I'm climbing up the wrong tree here (I can't bark so cut me some slack), I like the way that last paragraph magically came together if I say so myself.

• Well said, MM. :thumbup:

• What BIAS has always done with its matching is just applying a matching curve to a model.
    Basically it's the same thing that AF2 delivers with its matching.
    The difference will be in the accurancy of models and the FX.
    Nothing to do with the KPA, besides marketing and form factor :)

• This is another example of attemping to suggest that 'tone matching' (like described by the monkey, @Monkey_Man) equals profiling Kemper style.
    This has been attempted by Fractal before.
    Sadly a few users think it's the same (which of course it is not).

That said, I like BIAS on my iPad or iPhone in combination with my Apogee Jam. It makes a great rig when traveling.

• This is another example of attemping to suggest that 'tone matching' (like described by the monkey, @Monkey_Man) equals profiling Kemper style.
    This has been attempted by Fractal before.
    Sadly a few users think it's the same (which of course it is not).

That said, I like BIAS on my iPad or iPhone in combination with my Apogee Jam. It makes a great rig when traveling.

Fractal always used the term of "tone matching" which is correct...and even in their explanation, they described an eq matching like ozone stuff. Their fan boys claimed that was the same feature of the kpa profiling.
    My concern is pg bias uses the term of amp matching and amp profile... this is what disturbs me