New from Wymondham Norfolk...Should I Dive In??!

• Hi All,
    Asking for some genuine advice from all Kemper users. I'm on the verge of spending serious sums on a power rack & footswitch...plus rack case, wireless...the list goes on but before I do I thought I would ask some of you experienced guys (& gals) what you thought.

I would be using it mainly to play live with. I play in a local classic rock covers band (the Guilty) here in Wymondham Norfolk (its on the map just!!...its in the UK)...mainly pubs/bars. My current set up, EVH 5150iii 50watt head, Marshall 4x12, Line 6 Pod HDPro X on the floor 4CM into effects loop doing noise gate and effects only..oh and midi switching of the amp. Absoloutely LOVE the sound of the amp...we play mainly straight back line, no micing up...we are quite loud...but only as loud as the drummer but he hits quite hard.

Dilemma...love the look of everything that a Kemper does and has to offer just not sure if i'll regret letting go of my EVH 5150iii. I'm fairly good with tweaking stuff, I've had all the L6 stuff from Vettas to Pod XT, to POD HD PRO Digitech 2120's..the lot...so I guess my question is:

1) Power Rack or Un-Powered Rack + separate power amp.
    2) FRFR passive cab or stick with my 8ohm Marshall 4x12 (cab sims off on the Kemper)

Ideally I want to plug the Kemper into my cab and enjoy backline as normal (I might go 2x12 as the 4x12 is starting to seem heavy now!)...and on the rare occasions we get to do bigger stuff, keep it the same but also go to front of house desk out the back of the Kemper as well as cab onstage.

Will I be loud enough to get above the drummer...once he starts 'going for it'.

If on the absolute off chance there is anyone out there close to me, (Wymondham Norfolk UK) who is using this stuff in a live band/gigging situation then I'd love to have a chat (or just come and watch) and see for myself. I know I'll probably dive in anyway, I'm not an expert with tekki stuff but I managed to get a 2120 to sound half decent...but it was nothing compared to the EVH...that just rocks...I'm not looking for loads of different patches for 'live' just the usual, clean, crunch, killer rhythm patch (ala EVH red channel) and solo...we play mainly rock covers so I like to keep it fairly the same all the way through the set. (very dull I know but I'm a simple lad)

Anyway, seriously great forum and some great people on it...read lots of very interesting threads and posts so sorry if my post is a bit light weight, I guess I'm just trying to see if its the right move...I like it coz its less gear to cart around BUT can it sound as good as a EVH5150iii through a 4x12??

Any thoughts at this stage appreciated.
    Thanks
    Niall[*][*]

• IMHO, the Power Rack (which I own) gives you the most flexibility in terms of sound reproduction...

That is to say, you can use it either with an active FRFR monitor (using the Monitor Output), or with a traditional guitar cabinet (using Speaker Output) without requiring an external power amp.

With that said, only you can determine if the flexibility and "all-in-one" integration of the powered version is worth the additional, incremental cost. For me, the answer was affirmative.

Good luck with whatever your decision.

Cheers,
    John

Edit: The built-in power amp has enough power to blow the speakers clear out of your guitar cabinet, and into the next county. So, yes, it is loud enough, and then some.

• Thanks John, all advice at this stage is gratefully appreciated, so thank you for yours. Ultimately its down to me to make a choice, I'll just take as many words of wisdom as I can at this stage before I do though!
    Cheers for now Niall

• Niall, to make the transition easier for you, you could buy a powerhead first (see I'm a fan of the head) and use it with your Marshall cab. It will look just great on your cab and will sound even better.
    If you want to seriously make your rig smaller and more lightweight without compromising sound quality you should think about investing in a decent FRFR monitor (Yamaha DXR 10 class or better (i.e. Atomic CLR) but it takes a while to do the paradigm shift for some people so you better try this for yourself.
    Welcome to Kemperland!

• Hi Niall welcome from Caister on sea :) I can't advise you on what powered version to buy. What I do know is that whatever kemper you choose you will not look back. I haven't since I purchased my first one 3 years ago. I'm using mine in the local band the floating greyhounds. We are playing at the Sole and Heel at Rackheath, Norwich on Saturday if you want to come down and see what this beast can do :)

• Ciao Niall, welcome here!

I'll second Ingolf re: transitioning from a guitar cab to a linear one. You might not like it, if you are accustomed to a traditional backline and are "a certain kind of guy", so to speak ;)
    Many say that the linear cabs "don't push air" etc... While this is not true, they are accustomed to that kind of response both in space and in freq. I'd go with the Profiler into an audio store and would ask to try any expensive PA they have: that way you'd feel it by yourself :)

As for the powered version, there are no advantages with buying a third-part power amp if not saving some bucks in certain cases, and having the possibility to buy it in a second time.
    You might follow this route, and use the return of your tube amp to begin with.

Note: consider that the Kemper poweramp is rated @ 600 W @ 8 ohm, chances are that your cab's impedance is different. Check it!

:)

• Niall, my setup is exactly the way you are describing, with the difference that I am in a death metal band (thus i have to be really loud!!)and have a diezel hagen instead of the evh you have.
    I profiled my diezel into the kemper and blow out the s..t of the audience! Its plenty enough loud despite of having a berzerker as a drummer. I stick the kemper into my 4x12 box, have a clean, a rythm and then some delays and thats it.

So very straight forward and i really can say tvat this was the best purchase i ever did in my life!
    Remind, the kemper has no own sound, it has the sound you give to him!

• Hi Guys,

Thank you all (Tritium,Ingolf,warlus1,Raoul23,viabcroce,Richy) for your great responses, really appreciated...it seems quite clear to me that there is only one way to go. Kemper here I come! I'll enjoy the journey and chatting with everyone on this forum, just seems like some really great people on here.

Raoul, I know and have seen Floating Greyhounds many times, one of the best bands in East Anglia full stop and Caister is only just up the road!. I will if ok with you get over to see you guys play soon (i'll look at your upcoming gig list, cant make this weekend unfortunately) if you have some time maybe a quick chat (though gig set up times are fraught!) at a convenient time. You always had great sound when you played the Vetta so the Kemper must be cutting it live for sure!

Once again thanks for all your posts (so far) I'm a grown up (48 going on 16) and can easily make decisions but its always helpful just to get a few ideas/thoughts of others before diving in..but diving in I will be...I'm sure the waters fine!

Cheers for now guys (i'm sure I'll be posting/reading/replying) once it arrives and the fun starts!
    Niall

• Thanks Niall thats very kind of you. :) Yes alot of people used to always say i had a good sound with the Vetta i think thats why i had it for around 10 years lol. It was only when it broke that i had to find something new and i stumbled on the KPA which was the best thing ever. I couldnt live without my KPA thats why i have 2, one for a backup which i use in my studio. Yeah make sure you pop to a gig we have a lot of new songs in the set and you can let me know how the KPA sounds out the front, be great to chat KPA face to face since having the KPA has cut down on my set up time :)

• Hey Niall,

My situation was very similar to yours--50W EVH, Line6 effects, cover bands, etc.--and I haven't regretted the Kemper purchase at all. I ended up keeping my EVH, partly because I didn't think I'd be able to sell it for much more than the difference in price between a powered and non-powered KPA. For every gig so far I've gone direct to the PA and been very happy with the results. Playing in cover bands I like to have a wide variety of tones and it's important to me to be able to leverage the Kemper's cab modelling.

But, if I ever want to use a real guitar cab I can run the KPA into the effects loop of the EVH and it sounds awesome. If I'm already hauling a guitar cab to a gig the little 50W head isn't that big of a deal (and it looks cool).

There's no right or wrong way to do this, I just wanted to throw out another way to go about it. Admittedly, part of it is an excuse for me not to get rid of the 5150--even though I never use it anymore. :)

• @OP

Im new here too and I live in Attleborough haha. :) so I know exactly where you are in Wymondham haha. My family's business is in Wymondham too.
    I too have the HD Pro and literally just upgraded to a non powered Kemper for my band. No power for me or cabs, I go direct to the PA. So far Im loving it after a few days of jamming.

• @OP

Im new here too and I live in Attleborough haha. :) so I know exactly where you are in Wymondham haha. My family's business is in Wymondham too.
    I too have the HD Pro and literally just upgraded to a non powered Kemper for my band. No power for me or cabs, I go direct to the PA. So far Im loving it after a few days of jamming.

Close to me also in Caister on sea :) welcome

• @OP

welcome!

• I think we might have to form an East Anglian Regional Branch of the Kemper appreciation society! Lol.

I have listened to everyones thoughts/opinions/advice and it seems clear to me to stick with what I have.....NOT!

Kemper Power Rack & Footswitch ordered yesterday from Kemper direct as no one in the UK has one (ie the package) so it will arrive in the next week or two hopefully...CANT WAIT to get stuck in. I'm sure I'll have a few frustrating moments (I seem to remember a few sleepless nights with the Digitech 2120, not so much the POD PRO HD) but am really looking fwd to seeing what this can do for me, even if I dont delve into it as much as some are..I just want to enjoy it live.

Look fwd to touching bass with all you guys soon and exchanging tips and tricks...not that I'll be exchanging much to start with, I'll be more sponge orientated but i can clearly see from the many posts on here that people here are freely willing to hand out all there hard earned work in terms of advice (not cling onto it like its a secret), which is what makes us musicians lovely people!

Cheers for now guys
    Niall

• Kemper Power Rack & Footswitch ordered yesterday from Kemper direct as no one in the UK has one (ie the package) so it will arrive in the next week or two hopefully...CANT WAIT to get stuck in.

Congrats, Niall :thumbup:

Let us know when you receive it, and your first impressions.

Cheers,
    John

• Hi all,
    Slightly off point but are we able as 'registered' members to send individuals private messages on this forum??
    Niall

PS: sorry should have said this bit....if so how do I do it!!

Edited once, last by Niall182 ().