New from Wymondham Norfolk...Should I Dive In??!

• Hi all,
    Slightly off point but are we able as 'registered' members to send individuals private messages on this forum??
    Niall

PS: sorry should have said this bit....if so how do I do it!!

Yes, private messages are possible. Got to top of the page and to conversations.

• Hi I don't see conversations at the top of my page, I'm only logged into public account, not private as I haven't had my kemper delivered yet so cant register it, perhaps this is the reason?

• I only got the conversations icon after i had registered my kemper on the site.

Additonally, if you are in the uk. I am considering selling my other powerhead, so might be an option for you if you deicde to get one.

• Hey Niall, welcome from Down Under, mate.

Great decision on your part; I like the way you thought it through too.

Look fwd to touching bass with all you guys soon...
    Niall

This is funny to me as a base player. LOL

Again, wuddun, mate, and go you good thing. You'll be wrapped IMHO. I also suspect you'll be tweaking a whole lot less than you appear to be ant-titty-pasting...

• Add me to the Norfolk Kemper owners club please! Based in Fakenham I'm currently in the process of transitioning from a huge Mesa Rectifier rig to a powered Kemper head. First rehearsal due this week with it, fingers crossed I will like it as much as I do using it at home.

OP, you'd be more than welcome to come over and have a go with the Kemper if you're in the area.

Paul

• Add me to the Norfolk Kemper owners club please! Based in Fakenham I'm currently in the process of transitioning from a huge Mesa Rectifier rig to a powered Kemper head. First rehearsal due this week with it, fingers crossed I will like it as much as I do using it at home.

OP, you'd be more than welcome to come over and have a go with the Kemper if you're in the area.

Paul

Hi Paul, I'm sure rehearsal will bring a big smile to your face :)

• Hi guys,
    Waiting for my refund from Andertons which will happen, they are very good like that..but cant stump up two lots of £1800 just b4 Christmas!! before i buy another one.

Thanks for the offer Pauljoy, I might take you up on that offer, (Fakenham just up the road from me) if you don't mind (is that a Dave Grohl Trinnie Lopez in your pic..lovely!)...but let me know how you get on with it at rehearsal first. Been reading a few 'issues' on this forum of late re: frozen screens, and software bugs...with my first one arriving very much dead from the off...I am a little worried about how robust they actually are??!!

I really need to be able to depend on it, I cant afford two nor do i want to be taking back up amps to gigs 'just in case' the point of this is to cut down on stuff come gig night!!

Cheers guys.
    Niall

• I might take you up on that offer, (Fakenham just up the road from me) if you don't mind (is that a Dave Grohl Trinnie Lopez in your pic..lovely!)

Hi Niall. You're welcome to have a go anytime, let me know if you're heading over this way. Yes it's a DG-335, had it around year now. I got it as an investment as the previous batch made silly money after a few years but I tried it once and loved it so now it's mine to keep and enjoy :)

I have a feeling that the road ahead is going to be quite tricky with the Kemper. I've been spending a lot of time and some cash trying out rigs looking for a few basic tones that I like. I'm not looking to have loads, I tend to use three or four basic sounds and then a few speciality sounds for distinctive covers. Having worked my way through two TAF bundles I'm now totally confused lol. It's a funny thing, I'll find a sound that I really like and spend hours enjoying it, but then next time I switch it on it doesn't sound as good and the magic is gone. I'm sure it's all in my head but it will be interesting to see how it fares with bandmates joining the mix.

Regards

Paul

• [quote='Niall182','http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/25865-New-from-Wymondham-Norfolk-Should-I-Dive-In/?postID=269973#post269973'] I'll find a sound that I really like and spend hours enjoying it, but then next time I switch it on it doesn't sound as good and the magic is gone. I'm sure it's all in my head but it will be interesting to see how it fares with bandmates joining the mix.

Regards

Paul

Classic case of ear fatigue Paul, your ears can get used to a sound quite easily. When mixing I always use a ref mix and keep swapping between it and my mix so I don't for get what a good mix sounds like.

• Yes that's likely Raoul, although I think the bigger issue for me at the moment is just having too many options! I'm finding myself reverting to what I know and comparing sounds to my trusty Mesa Roadster so that I'm starting from familiar place.

My Kemper came bundled with the TAF Bundle 1 and I really like the Recto (vintage), JCM800 and TSL profiles in it. Yesterday I added Andy's Bundle 10 in to the mix after reading great things about it being improved over the older bundle however compared to Bundle 1 the same amps sounded more flubby and not as dynamic to my ear, although as you say that could just be fatigue. As you say, its very difficult to keep track of what a good sound is, especially coming from an amp with 6 knobs per channel to something with endless amp options and tweakability.

Edited once, last by pauljoy ().

• Yes that's likely Raoul, although I think the bigger issue for me at the moment is just having too many options! I'm finding myself reverting to what I know and comparing sounds to my trusty Mesa Roadster so that I'm starting from familiar place.

My Kemper came bundled with the TAF Bundle 1 and I really like the Recto (vintage), JCM800 and TSL profiles in it. Yesterday I added Andy's Bundle 10 in to the mix after reading great things about it being improved over the older bundle however compared to Bundle 1 the same amps sounded more flubby and not as dynamic to my ear, although as you say that could just be fatigue. As you say, its very difficult to keep track of what a good sound is, especially coming from an amp with 6 knobs per channel to something with endless amp options and tweakability.

Profile saturation comes in to play a lot. I have everything Andy has done, but always have my go to set of profiles from TAF which I know well and sound good for the music im recording/producing. Kemper gets rid of the I cant afford every amp GAS thing but provides you with another problem with collecting profiles lol. It took me over 2 years to realise this lol

• I have a feeling that the road ahead is going to be quite tricky with the Kemper. I've been spending a lot of time and some cash trying out rigs looking for a few basic tones that I like. I'm not looking to have loads, I tend to use three or four basic sounds and then a few speciality sounds for distinctive covers. Having worked my way through two TAF bundles I'm now totally confused lol. It's a funny thing, I'll find a sound that I really like and spend hours enjoying it, but then next time I switch it on it doesn't sound as good and the magic is gone. I'm sure it's all in my head but it will be interesting to see how it fares with bandmates joining the mix.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

Have you spent some time and read through the KPA "Basic" and "Reference" User Manuals? If you haven't, I would highly recommend that you review this material. Have you played around with the parameters in the "Amp Menu" Section? IMHO, tweaking the powerful settings in this menu are absolutely key in tuning and tailoring a particular rig/profile, and sculpting it into something that speaks to you. For example, a few tweaks to the "Definition", "Clarity", "Compressor", "Pick" and "Tube Shape" parameters can result in an utterly epiphanic moment. Beyond that, you might also explore the radical changes that can made to a given rig, by swapping and auditioning the rig with different Cab presets/profiles.

Cheers,
    John

• Please let us know how you go at rehearsal, Paul, and good luck mate!

Well, first KPA rehearsal complete and overall I think it went well. Sound wise things were good, I stuck mostly to some free Mesa MK3 profiles I found on the Rig Exchange which just sounded the most like my Mesa. The only negative thing really was that somehow while there was plenty of volume using the powerhead in to a Marshall 1960 cab the sound didn't seem to punch through quite as much as my normal amp. I'm sure it's just going to require some tweakage.

Another issue that I had was with feedback, My master volume was around 65 - 70% and with a mid distortion drive rig my guitar was howling whenever I let it go. I don't normally have feedback issues like that with my normal amp even at much higher volume levels so I need to experiment and see what was happening there.

All in all though, very pleased... looking forward to the next one!

Oh, and one other impressive feature... one trip from the car!

[Blocked Image: http://www.pauljoy.com/images/kpa_carry.jpg]

• my guitar was howling whenever I let it go

So if I'm getting you right this only happens while you're not muting the strings, doesn't it?
    How are you listening to the Profiler?

You might try this (apart from moving further from loudspeakers and\or aiming them differently if possible): lover the volume, engage a PEQ with a very high Q value and maximum gain, and sweep through the frequency domain looking for the triggering band (chances are there's a specific and narrow band of frequencies that triggers feedback). If you find one, set the gain to the maximum negative value. This should fix it.

Of course, 335-like guitars are much proner to feedback, but you already know this :)

HTH

• Hi Guys, been a little while but have read every ones posts (with excitement)..would love to pop over and have a chat Andy (and44) if that were possible, as your so close, literally 10mins away. (and guys I think we should form a Norfolk circle of Kemper!!)
    My broken Kemper has gone back to Andertons and as promised instant refund...so frustrated at present as I cant get a power rack and foot switch anywhere until end of Jan!! I'll just have to be patient. I'll probably wait till Andertons get a new batch of stock in and go with them again.

Interested in Pauljoy's first rehearsal impressions...you sound like you have the same idea as me in terms of set up...I used to have a an original Fender Starcaster and that used to really feed back, I play a Greco LP with EVH pick ups but I also have TWO noise gates on the 5150iii to try to tame it all via the L6 500X HD...it works so try playing with the positioning of the gate (if that's possible)...I don't have a Kemper so I don't know if you can move them or have more than one...I expect you can. (lots of metal players use two gates if you set them right it wont choke your sound or tone) but will stop the dredded squeeeel!

Cheers for now guys....I feel slightly fraudulent as I don't actually have a Kemper yet...not for lack of trying though...I hope someone isn't trying to tell me something! :)

Cheers all, Niall