How to make more headroom on cleans!?

• Its a long story.. I have used the Kemper with a TC-G-Force in the loop. It give me the reverb and dely i want and are familiar with. I latly have spent hours to get a dely from the Kemper that work ok. Hoping with the new updates that delysection will be even better.. The thing that i miss is some more headroom on the clean rigs. I guess when i use the loop/G-Force it works like an atunuator, and lower the signal. I like the effect and seems like the tone are more natural and softer. without loop the wolume jumps and the tone get more harsh! it dont break up, but seems hard. I have already adjusted the clean sence a lot down. The pickups are not especially hot. Tom anderson pickups on my guitars different type of singlecoils and HB the same in both Andersons i mainly use.
    Its not a very bad sounding, but I am always searching for the perfect clean amp tone! My reference is my lovely Koch, and Fender super reverb that i realy like. To me it seems like a lot easyer to get destorted sounds better than cleans!? Maby I am asking too much to get a nice fat sharp twangy clean tone as on my Koch!

So the question. Is it any other ways to make more hedroom on clean rigs, then using the clean sence. I am talking about gig level..I usa a DXR8 and it can play realy loud, dont need to push it much.

All in all I realy like my Kemper setup in live settings.. i play 95% live. very nice and easy the get a nice sound trough PA, but for me who are used to a simple tube amp It is to much parameters on the Kemper, and a lot of things i dont have any klue about!

• You can change the level of the signal at numerous points in the Profiler. Every stomp has its own level, the amp and cab offer a level parameter and last but not least you can use the rig volume to set the level of the rig.

• You can change the level of the signal at numerous points in the Profiler. Every stomp has its own level, the amp and cab offer a level parameter and last but not least you can use the rig volume to set the level of the rig.

Already found it! Dont seem to me that it make more or less headroom..mastervolume and rigvolume just react in the same way. You get naturally more hedroom at low volumes, but the difference in destorted rigs and clean rigs is to big, so my cleanrigs have to be set very high to match! maby I am doing something wrong!?

• You need to set the clean sens parameter correctly and use the rig volume to match between clean and distorted rigs.
    There is a video tutorial on the Kemper website that explains the concept of the clean sens and how to set it correctly.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Headroom at giglevel volume! Headroom as I see it its not the same as volume. I want to hear a sharp twangy fat clean tone at gig volume level. compared to a tube amp. I want that feel when you set volume quite high but turned down on the mastervolume! not pushing the amp.

Think i have to start all over again and set volume levels in a different way, but because its so many parameters its difficult to know where to start!

• Sounds to me like you haven't found the right profiles yet. I have absolutely no trouble with cleans and headroom at gig level, but then for cleans I play a mix of The Amp Factory, MBritt and more recently Bert Meulendijk profiles. There are literally hundreds of options in amongst those three vendors.

• Sounds to me like you haven't found the right profiles yet. I have absolutely no trouble with cleans and headroom at gig level, but then for cleans I play a mix of The Amp Factory, MBritt and more recently Bert Meulendijk profiles. There are literally hundreds of options in amongst those three vendors.

Its tons of destorted good profiles out there, but its not many who talks about good cleans here.. I find it difficult to find!
    I like "Fendercleans" If you recomand good cleanrigs it would be fine!! my reference tone is Mark Knopfler 80s-90s tone! I know the 2290 does a lot, and thats the reason i love my G-Force, but I fant to create some good toned without it..
    I have based my cleans on Superreverb and Hot Rod. 80% of the cleans i have found is dull sounding on the wounded strigs, and almost no twang, so when i compensate this with EQ and volume the overall sound become to hard with little headroom..

• [
    I always have a touch of compressor in the amp section! all tubeamps have natural comression. but i love tho open sound![/quote]
    have you tried the Power Sagging parameter?[/quote]

yes, powersagging, tube bias, clairity, definition

• I just downloaded a Vibrolux-esque profile (from Tim Kreider, actually a Cybertwin), added a stomp compressor and got a pretty good Knopfler sound right away - even with a P90 339 (middle PU position, as in two pickups together, and the finger picking is key).
    Gain is @ 1.5 btw.

• Let's forget the loop for a moment, let's say have just a clean rig.

• Disable all the stomps and fx.
    • Set Gain to 0
    • Set Clean Sens so that the input LED doesn't stay long in the red area when you strum hard.
    • Set Distorted Sens to 0 for now.
    • Check that the Output LED doesn't stay long in the red area when you strum hard. If this happens, lower the Volume (not the Master volume) until it stops and resave the rig.

Is it still distorting?
    If yes, you're clipping the loudspeaker or your headphones. Lower Master volume (not the Volume) until it stops.

Follow the above step-by-step, and let us know whether this helps. If not, feel free to report back!.

PS, NB: as you may have noticed, Volume and Master volume operate at two very different levels: the former before the D\A conversion (and takes care of (not) clipping the output), the latter after the conversion and before the power amp or the mixing desk, and and takes care of (not) clipping the latter.

• The solution on my problem was easyer than i tought!! I love my Super Reverb profile, but wanted kind of more headroom! I did not think about switching to an other cab!! so i made a preset with 4x12 Mars cab, and it realy sweetned the sound, and i got beutiful breakup sounds.. It was not bad with original cab, but now it sounds much better! :thumbup:

• I'm thinking you use the term "headroom" wrong... I can't quite grasp the concept of using the term in this context. If anything, I would consider what you're asking for to be less headroom. More loudness. Twangy stuff, Knopfler stuff...those are quite compressed sounds, meaning limited dynamic range (less headroom).