Stutter/kill switch/slicer effect

• I thought this might be an interesting addition to the FX set (or maybe not even the effect set, just a button) of the Kemper.

Stepping on the button should cut out the guitar signal a la a kill switch, with the option to set how fast or slow the staccato effect is.

If we go a little further into this territory, you could have something like a slicer to cut up a sound and reproduce it in fabulous ways.

• If the stutters / slicing could be synced to MIDI clock, a feed from, say, the drummer's MIDI click laptop or other event generator used live (DAW sequence or MIDI file player), or in the studio, the MIDI-clock stream from the DAW, it'd be an awesome tool for creating realtime EDM effects.

IMHO.

• If the stutters / slicing could be synced to MIDI clock, a feed from, say, the drummer's MIDI click laptop or other event generator used live (DAW sequence or MIDI file player), or in the studio, the MIDI-clock stream from the DAW, it'd be an awesome tool for creating realtime EDM effects.

IMHO.

Yes, this would be a great feature.

• I meant whilst playing the guitar, of course, nightlight, but it occurred to me after re-reading the post today that it could have been taken to mean that I was proposing a purely outboard effect. As I don't have a stutter plug-in or a point-and-shoot, "loopy" or "fruity" DAW, this sort of outboard FX use could sure be handy too.

• I meant whilst playing the guitar, of course, nightlight, but it occurred to me after re-reading the post today that it could have been taken to mean that I was proposing a purely outboard effect. As I don't have a stutter plug-in or a point-and-shoot, "loopy" or "fruity" DAW, this sort of outboard FX use could sure be handy too.

I was assuming you meant a guitar-based effect. Something like midi timecode-based slicing of a section once you hit the button. I used to have a slicer on my old GT-8, it was pretty cool if you were feeling like playing techno or other electronic music. With a midi synced slicer, things might be even more interesting. Going back to the idea of an outboard effect, it would be cool if we could use midi note messages to further manipulate the slices based on the notes received - not that I'm sure how that would work, perhaps attaching the slices to a certain key.

• Yes! I would have some use for a rhythmic stutter/slicer for sure. Brought it up in a thread some months ago that I was trying to get a smilar effect using dramatic tremolo and delays, but never got anywhere near a classic tight slicer sound, so I abandoned the idea. Something that has 20 or so preset patterns to chose from and can be set to a bpm would be fine. If you could make your own patterns, that would be amazing (but probably overly complex for most uses and not really a critical feature IMO)

• Agreed. The more complicated it becomes, the less folks will employ it for live playing.

I was assuming you meant a guitar-based effect. Something like midi timecode-based slicing of a section once you hit the button. I used to have a slicer on my old GT-8, it was pretty cool if you were feeling like playing techno or other electronic music. With a midi synced slicer, things might be even more interesting. Going back to the idea of an outboard effect, it would be cool if we could use midi note messages to further manipulate the slices based on the notes received - not that I'm sure how that would work, perhaps attaching the slices to a certain key.

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant, mate. All we'd need is a MIDI-clock feed and we'd be away.

On the MIDI-note thing, they could be used to trigger pitch variations, so that, for instance, each slice could play a successive note in a scale or one could construct short melodies a la an arpeggiator. Just a thought.