Issues with profiling a non master Plexi

• Hi,

I just recently purchased a new KPA rack and I'm having issues with profiling my non master Plexi's(68' Metro-Friedman and 68/69 Scumback Plexi) using direct out from the speaker output. I'm using several DI boxes(Behringer GI100, Countryman type 85 and a custom made unit made by Aracom) The amp profile sounds muddy and when I turn down the volume of my guitar, I don't get the nice sparkling clean tone that I get with my Plexi's. I was successful with my high gain amps(PT100,BE100, Recto and ENGL Powerball 2).If anyone has any tips on how to profile a non master volume Plexi, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Friedman BE100, Suhr PT100SE, Mesa Boogie Dual Recto,EVH 5150 iii S, 68' Metro/Friedman Plexi, Vox AC30 (2) Marshall 1960B, Port City 2 x 12 OS Wave, Scumback speakers (4)BH75,(4)M75,(4)H75,(1)H55(1)Celestion V30 Fryette PS attenuator, Mesa Boogie 2 90, Kemper Profiler amp and tons of rack and fx pedals
    ProTools 10.3.5 HD5 , Logic Pro 10.1,Ableton 9 Live. Dynaudio BM6a with BM9S sub and Focals Alpha 80

• I have the volume at 8. But it looks like I might have to use my Fryette Power Station or a dummy load that was built by Aracom to bring the volume down. They're quite transparent. I'm also trying to make a profile with my Plexi's at lower voltage. It will be a lot easier profiling my Plexi's the regular way using mics. I did a bunch of profiles using my Power Station attenuator, cranking my high gain amps quite loud and it sounded great!

Friedman BE100, Suhr PT100SE, Mesa Boogie Dual Recto,EVH 5150 iii S, 68' Metro/Friedman Plexi, Vox AC30 (2) Marshall 1960B, Port City 2 x 12 OS Wave, Scumback speakers (4)BH75,(4)M75,(4)H75,(1)H55(1)Celestion V30 Fryette PS attenuator, Mesa Boogie 2 90, Kemper Profiler amp and tons of rack and fx pedals
    ProTools 10.3.5 HD5 , Logic Pro 10.1,Ableton 9 Live. Dynaudio BM6a with BM9S sub and Focals Alpha 80

• It actually worked great with the Fryette Power Station attenuator making a profile the usual way. It sounded practically the same! My PB attenuator was modified by taking out out the low pass filter. I profiled my Plexi full up and when I lower the volume I got a great clear clean tone, just like I do when playing through the real amp.I also profiled the amp at 80 and 90 volts with excellent results! I'm going to try using the Beheringer to make direct out profiles with the PB and see how that works. Thanks for you response.

• It actually worked great with the Fryette Power Station attenuator making a profile the usual way. It sounded practically the same! My PB attenuator was modified by taking out out the low pass filter. I profiled my Plexi full up and when I lower the volume I got a great clear clean tone, just like I do when playing through the real amp.I also profiled the amp at 80 and 90 volts with excellent results! I'm going to try using the Beheringer to make direct out profiles with the PB and see how that works. Thanks for you response.

Well, I'm glad to stand corrected!! :)

• Sure! Once I get a system perfected I'll be glad to upload. some Profiles. The way I'm profiling my amps is the way I record my guitars in my studio. I use a 4 x 12 custom 4 x 12 cab built by Scumback with 70's specs, loaded with BH75,M75,M75 and a V30 and each speaker has a SM57 place in the same position in each speaker and a Royer 121 on the BH75. All the mic's go into a Chandler Limited TG2 mic preamps and an SSL Eq's compressors. I mix the mic's through a patch bay then into an SSL mixer and then into the KPA.
    I mix different combinations of speakers when I make a profile of each amp. I honestly didn't think it would sound as good, but boy was I wrong! I use the Fryette Power station with all my amps , but mainly the Plexi's because they have no master volume. The Fryette PS is quite transparent, so I was able to capture a great tone from the Plexi's. When I use the cabinets which were made by my profiles in stock profiles or the ones I purchased, I like them much better with my cabinets.
    I don't know if it makes a difference if I use all my gear to make the profiles or not because I haven't tried just using a mic into the KPA, but I like the tone I get mixing different speakers when I record with my amps.
    I'll keep experimenting, but my peoples are getting better as I do more trying different settings.

• Thanks I love the sound of those Metro 12000 series amazing amps. Have you ever tried dialing/profiling everything on 10 with the plexi ala Van Halen and the voltage dropped to 80 or 90?

Yes I have! I use the build in "Variac" and also a voltage regulator which can gives you different tones between 70 to 90 volts.It was modded by Dave Freidman to sounds like the Metro/Freiedman they released some years ago with 6ca7 tubes Here is a VH track I did with the last year.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Here's another one

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• an SSL Eq's compressors

sounds great, but please be aware that it is recommended to profile setups without any additional compression.

from the Profiling Guide:
    "Other effects should be bypassed during the Profiling process because they will adversely affect the result, making
    it sound less natural, and different to the original amp tone. These include: compressors, noise gates, and
    time/modulation/reverb effects such as delay, reverb, chorus, and so on."

hth

• [quote='eljodon','https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/28873-Issues-with-profiling-a-non-master-Plexi/?postID=308039#post308039']an SSL Eq's compressors

sounds great, but please be aware that it is recommended to profile setups without any additional compression.

from the Profiling Guide:
    "Other effects should be bypassed during the Profiling process because they will adversely affect the result, making
    it sound less natural, and different to the original amp tone. These include: compressors, noise gates, and
    time/modulation/reverb effects such as delay, reverb, chorus, and so on."

Yes I'm aware of it, thanks for pointing it out. Everything is set on flat with no compression. I do use the eq just for carving out certain frequencies depending on what tone I'm going for. I know I could use the eq from the KPA later on, but I like the SSL eq better because it's more flexible.

• Here's my setup.

Images

• Wow :) you've got lots of love for the marshall !

I hope you'll take as many direct profiles as possible ! if you ever merge them with you own cab profile the result might be really surprising in terms of 'lifeness', and may also solve the cleaning issue

But I guess the studio profiles are great with all the signal chain & speaker options you described