Annoying frequency on ALL (???) amps physical/digital SOLVED!!!! (sort of, at least)

• One more thing...

A lot of this can probably be handled by suitable placement of mics when recording a real amp (or making a profile, for that matter). That's where you decide which of the frequencies (including those that are just "part of the game") will be attenuated and to what amount. As far as it is within the realm of possibility of course.

The best advice I can give you is find suitable profiles that come as close as you can get, then adjust the KPA from there - and then mix accordingly (or have someone else do it of course). And then to stop worrying about what can't be changed.

Obviously, these sounds have always been there - but it's only now that you've started to notice them. So the vast majority of people will not hear them as separate from the rest of the sounds, and even those who register them will do so on a lot of other recordings as well.

Get as close as you can - and forget about the last X %.

• I dont think a different mic placement will solve the issue, sorry.

It's a constant white noise.

• I think Michael meant more that you should do so when recording and in combination of best possible mic position and eq (and all stuff that helps). In live situation the sound engineer will take care of it and I'm sure he'll make any miced cab sound great.. most can do so.

• I think Michael meant more that you should do so when recording and in combination of best possible mic position and eq (and all stuff that helps). In live situation the sound engineer will take care of it and I'm sure he'll make any miced cab sound great.. most can do so.

Hmmm. I dont make my own profiles ||

I'm not sure how a live engineer can deal with this in any better way than I could at home... Which is not super possible... :rolleyes::/||

• Hmmm. I dont make my own profiles ||

I'm not sure how a live engineer can deal with this in any better way than I could at home... Which is not super possible... :rolleyes::/||

I don't do it myself either, but I found some profiles, with sometimes very very explicit frequencies, that I like and that fit into the mix very well. If you listen to them alone they also sound a bit strange but nothing to the direction of your clips.
    Well at a live-venue the mix is most of the time done quite different. More boomy and with a curve similar to a loud setting and therefore some frequencies might disapear (I can only talk about hardrock and metal of styles I use to see live though).

• I dont get why I shouldn't showcase the noise in it's worst?

Why try to cover it up? Then it's just harder for people to understand the problem

Who said anything about covering it up?

You're on a totally unproductive path here, I think.

I'm talking about that if those bands were playing the stuff you played in those clips, maybe the noise would ALSO be present on their recordings.
    I'm talking about simple troubleshooting and comparison.

I think you're on a path to constant dissatisfaction. Best of luck - sincerely. If you do get to the bottom of it, I'd love to hear what you found out. Until then, I'm signing out.

• Pete Thorn just uploaded a video and I can hear it on his distorted tone later in the video, especially on B-chords, for example at 7:21
    When he plays the B the "windtunnel" white noise starts popping up.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• This is pretty much how a 4x12 is supposed to sound. And it is exactely the reason why engineers routinely dial out everything below 100 Hz or even higher. Anyway, it's typical für a 4x12" to have a resonance in bass and/or lower mids. It just the cab moving a lot of air and partly it's the wood resonating when the cab is not built really stable. Many people like 4x12s for exactely that sound which is also what moves your trousers when you stand in front of such a cab driven by a 100 Watter.

There is no point in looking for a solution because there ain't one. It's the nature of it. Simple as that.

• This is pretty much how a 4x12 is supposed to sound. And it is exactely the reason why engineers routinely dial out everything below 100 Hz or even higher. Anyway, it's typical für a 4x12" to have a resonance in bass and/or lower mids. It just the cab moving a lot of air and partly it's the wood resonating when the cab is not built really stable. Many people like 4x12s for exactely that sound which is also what moves your trousers when you stand in front of such a cab driven by a 100 Watter.

There is no point in looking for a solution because there ain't one. It's the nature of it. Simple as that.

No, sorry but I don't think you understood the issue || other's have already understood and made me understand the issue more too.

The problem isn't massive bass buildup, it's electronic white noise

I can hear this in a 1x12 AC30 too (physical tube amp, not kemper)
    I can hear this in a 2x12 Gallien Krueger
    I can hear this in a 1x8 Roland Microcube

A certain type of cab does not suddenly produce white noise. That has to do with electronics inside the amp :rolleyes:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

And yes it's not just me either look in the above Pete Thorn video

• @Cederick - You know, os there a chance that you just don't like distorted guitars that much?

I mean, the trouble is that 90% of guitar amps are basically the sa,e fender circuits. They have inherent characteristics. Distortion is inherently not about beauty, it basically takes a signal and clips it which produces harmonic frequencies and intermodulation in all sorts of horrible ways that aren't harmonious. Either you love that or you hate it.

Now there are amps that follow different designs, have you checked them out to see how they behave? Also some pickups and guitar bodies resonate in ways that produce wolf notes and frequencies. Couple that with standing waves in an untreated room and you will end up with boominess and all the rest.

I guess the real question is, do you have examples of what sounds right to you, not just what sounds wrong?

• This has nothing to do with "wolf notes".

Yeah, here's a perfect guitar sound in my opinion. Very distorted and heavy.
    But there's no audiable rumbling noise.
    I have no idea what amp they used on this album tho!

• I have also EQ matched another Grave Digger guitar sound with Izotope Ozone EQ Matching.

I used a profile that didn't have much of the windtunnel noise

Original > my match > original > my match etc etc etc etc etc

External Content soundcloud.com

But when I did EQ match with a profile that HAD windtunnel noise then that stayed in the mix.

Thats why I'm saying you CANNOT EQ or process out the noise after recording, it has to be fixed at the source.

Steveness's JCM800 Merged profile is pretty clean from that sound, so I think it's a good platform to use EQ Matching with!

• But when I did EQ match with a profile that HAD windtunnel noise then that stayed in the mix.

Thats why I'm saying you CANNOT EQ or process out the noise after recording, it has to be fixed at the source.

Yes it is not frequency response. It is in the gain structure. Cederick as I suggested before there are prob more suitable forums for this question.

Or

Track down the studio owner who recorded a guitar tone you liked. Ask what equipment they used. I have actually done this and they responded. So it's worth a try. Good luck and let us know what happens.