Annoying frequency on ALL (???) amps physical/digital SOLVED!!!! (sort of, at least)

• Exacly, as you say; it's in the gain structure. :thumbup:

It's not any damaged hearing path, 4x12" cabs or picking technique no matter how some people seems to wanna claim that :S

That means you hate the gain structure of ALL (as you said) amps, profiles, modelling gear, most pro recordings, utube videos... ??? I think you really have a problem, no one here can fix!

You are a very talented guitar player, drummer and singer (!), but the way you work yourself up into crises is unhealthy - really, man. And how you react to peoples helping hand (even if they maybe are wrong...) is pathological, sorry. And respect and manner is missing. In germany we say: Der Ton macht die Musik ;) (and the way you write is way too "dissonant" for me...)

Edited once, last by Ibot39 ().

• But as I said in another post;

Steveness's JCM800 Merged Profile is one of the cleanest profiles I've heard; there's barely any noticable "windtunnel" noise in his profile.

When I've purchased other commercial profiles, I noticed that the "windtunnel" noise was different from each profile;
    and it wasn't always the most "bassy" profiles that had it, sometimes thinner sounding ones had it as well.
    Too bad one of my favorite sounding profiles tonewise, also is one with the worst "windtunnel" noise I've heard...

But the JCM800 Merged works well for me, and I might use it as a main profile when I'm using EQ Matching in my productions. :thumbup:

• Cedericks social skills stink. Mine are not the best either. So maybe that's why I get along with him.

He has posted clips where it is less noticeable. So he's trying to figure how is it possible? My theory is, the heads were modded in the recordings he prefers. It's a matter of him figuring out what head and mod he likes. And hopefully someone has one to profile.

But this is not the best forum for this type of search. Contact the band and or the studio which recorded the songs.

• Is this similar to comb filtering?
    So Cederick could parallel bus and boost certain EQ to mask the sound?

assuming it would work (i haven't tried with any of the examples) you'd have to add another instrument or sound which has a frequency spectrum in the range of the artefacts we're discussing here. if the instrument is louder than the artefacts in this particular range, you would not hear it.
    here's a silly example to bring the point across: if you have a track with prominent recording noise (from e.g. a cheap tape recorder) and you layer a recording of breaking waves on top, you will hear much of the noise anymore.

so, in theory, this could mean that you boost frequencies in another track to mask the problem. comb filtering is probably to narrow banded.

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

In this example Cederick posted is it possible it's a parallel bus with 2 different reverb settings to mask the sound?

• Cederick, please stop referring to folks' "insistence" that your hearing might be a problem. It's obvious I'm the only fool who asked if you might've experienced "recent" damage, something you jumped all over me for.

I apologised, explained why I made the mistake, edited my original post to exclude the possibility from my much-sweated-over list and informed you that I'd done so.

You didn't acknowledge my humble apology, and have continued to bring it up as if it's a view I "insist" upon (that your hearing might be damaged). I figured I'd just let it go unanswered, but I see that you've mentioned it yet again. Dude, it's simply not true. I even stated after my apology that in fact I believe you've got very-good hearing.

So, please do me a favour and stop mischaracterising my position. You should be happy about this - it's "one less force against you". Besides, I've been nothing but supportive of you through your troubleshooting issues and clip postings here on the board, something I'd hoped you might've taken into account.

Thanks mate.

• Dude, I'm sorry! I should have let it go when you apologized but the thing is I'm so worried of someone bringing it up again I think I have to be over-obvious on "DO NOT BRING IT UP AGAIN!" because if I dont do show how much I dont want it to be brought up again, someone else might come and suggest it and I would fire up

The problem has been identified:

It's in the gain stage
    And nothing else.

And I either have to live with it or find profiles/amps that in certain settings does not produce this noise.

If the physical tube amp has it, the Kemper is going to snap it up perfectly.

That's the blessing and curse of the Kemper :love:

• Dude, I'm sorry! I should have let it go when you apologized but the thing is I'm so worried of someone bringing it up again I think I have to be over-obvious on "DO NOT BRING IT UP AGAIN!" because if I dont do show how much I dont want it to be brought up again, someone else might come and suggest it and I would fire up

Ha! I understand, of course.

Ceddy, the first three words made my day. Thank you! :thumbup:

• I'm glad we're on the right side again.

And this is 100% the last time this noisey thing comes up, because I've understood the problem now.
    Thats good, I dont have to be upset every time I find a profile I like and then suddenly starting to hear that noise.
    Then I just know "well, its there, nothing to do about it, please proceed".
    Either by accepting it, or looking for a nother profile/amp or something.

• There's another option I've not seen mentioned Ceddy, and it applies only to recorded guitar, which, when you think about it, is IMHO where it's most-important anyway:

Use a noise-reduction plugin on it. I'm talking about a decent one that allows you to capture a fingerprint of the noise in isolation (you select a noisy section where no notes are playing). It's then a simple matter of dialling the noise out with a knob / slider to taste. You'll probably find that taking out half to 2/3 of it will more than suffice, and there should, in theory, be little discernible "damage" to your tracks.

I'm not up with what's out there right now, but I'm pretty sure iZotope's RX software (expensive!) does this. Back in the day, TC's PowerCore had an awesome real-time plugin that worked this way too, and I used it extensively for AM radio recordings, cassette transfers and whatnot. Logic dictates that there'd be many options out there these days, as that was 12 years ago or more.

Finally, and this is to all in this thread:
    Cederick went to the trouble of contacting me personally and humbly apologising. He was contrite and genuine. This kid gets major brownie points for this in my book, and I wanted you all to know 'cause it's all-too-easy to misjudge him. We've seen this before in another thread. The bottom line is that beneath that hell-for-leather exterior, our Cederick has a heart of gold. Kudos to him!

• You're kidding, Ant!

Geez mate, I figured this sort of thing would be fine as a last resort.

To be clear: You used the full noise-print feature and not an adaptive, clean-up-as-you-go implementation? Just not sure if the plugin bundle has this, whereas logically, the full RX Suite (the $1000+ one) would... should...

• Yeah, thanks for the suggestion Monkey_Man (and kind words on the end too!), but as Shreckmusic states; this noise needs to be dealt with before it's recorded... Which means, the amp itself needs to not have this noise.

If the physical amp has it, the Kemper will pick it up and it will be there.

One of the biggest obstacles to make people understand this problem, is that it's sometimes really hard to 100% describe a sound in words.
    That's why so many have either:

A) misunderstood the issue as being related to 4x12 (thining I'm talking about boomy sound... yeah, I used that term a lot before... my bad!)
    B) not heard it at all, because they listen for something else.

This is an issue where it would have been so much easier if everybody was in the same room.

• You're kidding, Ant!

To be clear: You used the full noise-print feature and not an adaptive, clean-up-as-you-go implementation? Just not sure if the plugin bundle has this, whereas logically, the full RX Suite (the $1000+ one) would... should...

I'll check later on today as I was only using the free trial.

• Michael_DK asked me a relevant question on my profile wall:

"Hey Ceddy. I saw you liked that particular merged JCM800 profile, as it doesn't have the "windtunnel effect", right? Have you tried using that cab on another MERGED profile and see if that helps? And vice versa? Just to narrow it down to AMP or CAB section. I think that's a very important distinction."

Even tho we have already established that the noise comes for the amp, I could as well try out what he suggested. :)

Here's a few audio clips, according to DKs idea:

JCM800 Merged with stock cab (however, profile is not 100% stock, I have tweaked the treble/presence EQ a little, but ignore that)

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The noise level is pretty low on this. In THIS case, the profile is pretty low-mid heavy so I would use dynamic EQ in 250hz to tame the low end anyway, but as established; the noise cannot go away post recording, no matter what. But in this profiles case, the noise is so low it doesn't matter.

JCM800 Merged with different cab! No difference in noise level. Still good!

Here's a profile called "Alright" which is notorious for the "windtunnel" noise.
    However, the cab itself is voiced pretty mid-trebly, so it doesn't show the noise too well... But it's definitely there, and it's driving me crazy because the sound itself is really nice rock sound.

And here's "Alright" with different cab! This cab exposes more low-end than the stock Alright cab... And this is where everybody should be able to hear this noise clearly. It's truly a windtunnel effect, and it's a constant nonmusical range of frequencies than doesn't change even with different chords. That's a clean sign it's in the amps electronics, and not in the cab itself (or any other factors)

• You're kidding, Ant!

ok I went back and tried de-noise and de-hum. Neither did absolutely anything.

My impression is still that this is an amp mod
    or
    an amp that is not pushed too hard in the master and gain is added in the mic preamp.

Masking only works in a full mix and what do you do when the guitars are solo like in the Hammerfall example? I've always known about masking but never knew the name. For years I notch out on guitars prominent EQ points of the snare dominant parts. Same goes for bass and kick,etc. I guess you can call that de-masking?