Different Cabinets Give Amps New Life

• It is a pity there's no way to swap cabs in the Rig Manager

Absolutely right and a great pity.
    A little help not to lose track is to make a backup, change the suffix to ". rar " and unpack it.

With this you get at least a list of the CABs you have in the KPA.

• yeah, cab is the secret, I definitely agree on that. Too bad that presets are so uncovinient to manage. I have tons of them but can't get through the hassle of tying them all. An upgrade here will be an upgrade for the tone as well

I agree. It's especially a pain to have to name the cabinet you are saving, as the name it has doesn't carry over and you have to type it out...if it fits. I would welcome a better way to manage cabs.

Back at work and having little time to do much else until the weekend, I did manage to checkout those TJ Engle PBall profiles I downloaded. First impression was fizz city. Once again, a different cab saved the day. I believe a cab called "NORMALS" saved the day. I have two of them saved, and one of them sounded a bit more balanced and up front. From there I used the same EQ with a bit more mids and trebel...and a touch of extra bass (no number change...just pushed it up a bit). With slightly less gain it tightened up and still sounded full in the lows and mids. Definitely not a Marshall, but more "in your face". Full frontal assault blunt force trauma! X( Starting to build some higher gain tones. Josh Middleton has some interesting high-gain profiles. I might want those. And now I need to go back and see if I can resurrect a Rectifier profile with the right cab. Too much exploring to do...not enough time.

Time for work! I'll answer as many posts as I can when I get back home later.

Phil 8)

• As long as we are talking about the challenges involved with using Cabs/IRs...

Lets not forget about the name length limitation, and the need to to alter commercial IR names for use on the Kemper. Not to mention the loss of helpful metadata that happens when converting IR's to cabs.

• Another little tweak that I have been using lately is:

once Ive got the amp/cab/effects down pretty much where I want them, the last 1%
    of tone I get from adjust the "character" parameter in the cabinet section.
    I find this much more subtle than using the High/Low shifts and can really add
    that final bit of magic to the cabinet/overall tone of a profile.
    cheers

• As long as we are talking about the challenges involved with using Cabs/IRs...

Lets not forget about the name length limitation, and the need to to alter commercial IR names for use on the Kemper. Not to mention the loss of helpful metadata that happens when converting IR's to cabs.

I just ran into this a couple days ago. 32 char filenames was the norm in 1987, not 2018.

• Why are you guys bothering with using IRs in the first place?? Kemper Cabinet profiles are superior. I bet if we took a poll, you could count the number of people who use 3rd-party IRs with their KPA with one hand.

I even believe the Kemper CabMaker utility has actually been collecting dust, in their Downloads section.

So, we have Ben and Flyingheelhook...that leaves three more fingers.

Yes, I am a cheeky bastard.

:P:D

EDIT -- Woops, looks like I spoke too soon. I just visited the Kemper Downloads section, and noticed they have updated the Cab Maker software (ver 2.1.2) on February 14, 2018.

Edited 2 times, last by Tritium ().

• Why are you guys bothering with using IRs in the first place?? Kemper Cabinet profiles are superior.

I think it's a matter of not finding kemper cabs with the right sonic profile. I'm sure that if you took an IR and a profile of the same cab and mic setup in one session, the kemper cab would be superior - but if you compare a cab profile with the "wrong" mic setup (for the purpose) with an IR with the "right" one, the latter would win.

• I agree, we shouldn't need to touch the cabs. And it all can be a bit maddening at times. However i have discovered, that some of the profiles i really like can be made slightly better with a different cab.Or i might find a profile i really like and save that profile with different cabs to just get slighly different tones. I am an addict i will admit it.

• I agree, we shouldn't need to touch the cabs. And it all can be a bit maddening at times. However i have discovered, that some of the profiles i really like can be made slightly better with a different cab.Or i might find a profile i really like and save that profile with different cabs to just get slighly different tones. I am an addict i will admit it.

Hello IronWord,

I am not sure if you read this full thread, or my earlier post #20 in this thread. I wasn't questioning the benefit of trying out (auditioning) different Kemper Cabinets with a given amp profile...I was questioning the use of 3rd-party Impulse Response cab sims, which are an entirely different kettle of fish.

Cheers,
    John

• The discussion would probably be obsolete if we had reasonable opportunities to manage and catalog Cabs.
    There is no doubt that with another Cabs the sound quality will be changed significantly.
    My experience is that you can't define quality generally valid (also tastes are different) and it depends a lot on the guitar whether it causes an improvement or a deterioration.

BTW: There's nothing wrong with using external IRs for me.
    But it's too much unwieldy for me to experiment with CABs.
    External IRs would not improve on that. ;)

• Exactly my scenario, Tritium. And yes, maybe I should have researched previous posts. But nice to know I'm not alone, and in good company on this topic. Back in my old Line 6 days we did everything we could to try to get something that sounded "real". Now we have many choices that "are real", and just need to find what we like for speaker types and mic placement. I'll take that any day! After all, with real amps and cabs, we do the same.

And yes, I'm going back and trying new cab discoveries on old profiles I previously locked in. The "favorites" selection list is HUGE now (not a bad thing), but it's cool to go through each profile version with different saved cabs to do a "shootout" of sorts to see which one(s) works best. The "Mars" cabinet that inspired this thread actually works on lots of amp profiles. This cab would be the "heavier" track in a typical darker/brighter double-track recording. That works well. But I'm already seeing a couple of others being constant winners for lots of amp profiles. Eventually I'll have to do a cleanup with all these experimental versions. But I can see this "experimenting" will continue for quite some time.

Phil 8)

• YES, these are nice alterations that can really put the polish on the tone. We are so spoiled having these tools at our disposal.

I have not even tried to "tune" these settings on the last umpteen cabs I saved and used. When I have time I'll go back and try those tweaks. No doubt it may improve my final tone some. Cool that you can quickly A/B those changes from the original. It's a "Was it all in my head, or is there really an improvement made here?" reality check. :huh:

Phil 8)

• I have to get to work soon, but I'll leave this final thought for the morning...

Mic placement is what "works" or doesn't work for my likes. And amp EQ was either done "right to my likes" (subjective) or not. Everyone has there own likes, but once in a while the majority can agree on "legendary" artist recorded tones.

So as I'm discovering with all these experiments I've been doing, the commercial amp has to win my ear first, then I have to adjust the Kemper tone controls to balance the sound the way I like it. That seems to work on any cab I use, and sometimes that EQ (or something close to it) works on other amps, as well. Finally, some cabs can work on all my amp profiles once the tone controls are locked in. I couldn't ask for a better outcome. But the kicker is ALL of my guitars work with these finalized profiles once all the tweaking has been done, and the guitars still have their own character. No need to readjust anything for different guitars. That's as good as I could hope for if I were actually using real amps...and we actually are using real amps, aren't we?. Cool! :thumbup:

I love this box! :thumbup:

Phil 8)

• Hello IronWord,

I am not sure if you read this full thread, or my earlier post #20 in this thread. I wasn't questioning the benefit of trying out (auditioning) different Kemper Cabinets with a given amp profile...I was questioning the use of 3rd-party Impulse Response cab sims, which are an entirely different kettle of fish.

Cheers,
    John

Hi John, yes sir I read the whole thing
    I was referring to 3rd party cabs. I have used the ones from celestial and ownhammer with spectacular results.

Philbert great post!

• Yes there is a thousand of tweaks and different approaches for getting a better tone with Kemper

It is kind like an university, you have to study and adjust with many, many tests but in the end you got the power...

That's as good as I could hope for if I were actually using real amps...and we actually are using real amps, aren't we?. Cool! :thumbup:

I love this box! :thumbup:

i second that :rolleyes:

i am currently testing the so called "lead response" from 36 fav profiles, also trying to figure out the tweaks i can make to improve then... almost done and now it is time to enjoy it!

• I can think of some much better superlatives than 'cheeky bastard', but will leave that alone for now. You always seem to have such an elevated sense of your own worth that you have to inject your opinion while putting others down. Here is an idea - perhaps mind your own business? I do what I want, when I want. I don't have to explain it to you or anyone else. How's that? :D

• Hey guys, dont care for this ir thing so much.
    There are very good ir's outside, that's a fact and also many pros use them. I posted for example that Steve Stevens use sinmix ir's. I think this is not on topic.

The big thing here is that cabs have a big impact ( for me the biggest) and cool cabs make muuuuch profiles muuuuch better.

A pity is that we have no cab management tool.

My 2 cents.

Take care and be friendly.

Ah.... and peace on earth!

• I can think of some much better superlatives than 'cheeky bastard', but will leave that alone for now. You always seem to have such an elevated sense of your own worth that you have to inject your opinion while putting others down. Here is an idea - perhaps mind your own business? I do what I want, when I want. I don't have to explain it to you or anyone else. How's that? :D

Yikes. Evidently I have caused offense, and for that I apologize, as that certainly was not my intent.

Cheers,
    John