Neural Quad Cortex

• I think the selectable/adjustable mics in the cabinet section of the QC will take the place of controls like Definition and Clarity i the Amp block, and Low/High shift in the Cab block.

most of all QC ir's if not all are done by Nolly, if you dont like how Nolly's ir's sound/voicing then you will be out of luck with this feature. Those ir's sound good for modern metal, but im not sure if i would'v used them for anything else personally, thats 100% up to taste though.

Thats being said there are other third party ir loaders that can do the same, tweak it on your pc once you dial the sound you want - export the ir file and load into any dsp/vst you want.

Edited once, last by Clanker ().

• A lot of assumptions there, buddy. It's better to have low expectations and be impressed than the other way around ...

You’re assuming I have high expectations.

I have no other expectations except that the QC will be competing on the level of Fractal/Kemper/Line6.

Unless you're using amp models and captures together, you wouldn't use a Cab block with a full capture because full captures already include the cab portion and can't be separated from the amp.

I plan to use DI captures almost exclusively. I like them more with the Kemper as well.

Lol you gotta love when someone’s first sentence is “nope”

::eye roll::

I’m well aware of what those controls do, having owned a Kemper for 7 years.

I don’t find those controls to be particularly useful or impactful to be honest. Haven’t touched the Tube Shape knob in years, and the Pick control is useful (for my style) only to tame the harsh attack on some clean profiles.

• most of all QC ir's if not all are done by Nolly, if you dont like how Nolly's ir's sound/voicing then you will be out of luck with this feature. Those ir's sound good for modern metal, but im not sure if i would'v used them for anything else personally, thats 100% up to taste though.

I am not into metal at all, especially not the modern kind, but I have no concerns about this.

He has created many IR’s of each cabinet, with many mics, and from my understanding the QC will have the ability to basically interpolate between then when moving the virtual mics.

This is a powerful feature, similar to the STL Libra vst which I use almost exclusively with the Kemper while recording (which is my only scenario with modelers) and it works great.

I think that getting a usable and desirable tone out of the QC, much like the Kemper, will be up to the user in the same way that getting a bad sound is almost always user error.

Good and bad being completely subjective, of course.

• This is a powerful feature, similar to the STL Libra vst which I use almost exclusively with the Kemper while recording (which is my only scenario with modelers) and it works great.

Would you recommend STL Libra over something like torpedo wall of sound (if you had any experience with that)?

• Would you recommend STL Libra over something like torpedo wall of sound (if you had any experience with that)?

I can't say. I tried the WoS program years ago on a computer that couldn't really handle it and I haven't tried it since.

I bought Libra around the holidays when it was on sale for $25 and I've been really impressed with it, especially once I added a number of York Audio IR's.

I have found that most of the time I prefer it to using the Kemper cabs. This is not a negative criticism of the Kemper itself, but more about the fact that I can easily blend up to 8 IR's and really shape the tone. I rarely use more than 4.

Also, it works best with Direct profiles in my opinion, of which I don't have many.

And sometimes the full Studio profile is the best solution.

It all depends on the song I'm recording.

• Ok so I just watched the two videos from Rabea. QC is a cool unit so im excited to see what happens when we get to hear more. In his "Unboxing" video towards the end, he pushed a button and with his droptuned guitar, he went from A to G on the low E string I think. Can the neural deliver alternate tunings outside of just a half step transpose?

• Ok so I just watched the two videos from Rabea. QC is a cool unit so im excited to see what happens when we get to hear more. In his "Unboxing" video towards the end, he pushed a button and with his droptuned guitar, he went from A to G on the low E string I think. Can the neural deliver alternate tunings outside of just a half step transpose?

Check this out about 5 mins. It shows what looks like a cents adjustment. The transpose sounds quite good, but who knows out many cents you can detune by.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Check this out about 5 mins. It shows what looks like a cents adjustment. The transpose sounds quite good, but who knows out many cents you can detune by.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

It does sound pretty cool, but it seems like it can only transpose every string at once? Like he went E standard to D standard but I guess you cant go from E standard to Drop D with a click?

• Yet you still don't understand them otherwise you would not have made the statement you did.... Longevity of ownership != experience if you don't use the thing...

I understand them just fine. I just don't find them to be particularly useful.

Get over yourself. You're not "the expert"

Good grief.

• It does sound pretty cool, but it seems like it can only transpose every string at once? Like he went E standard to D standard but I guess you cant go from E standard to Drop D with a click?

Is this not standard for every modeling device?

I would think you'd need something like a Variax in order to transpose one string at a time.

• It does sound pretty cool, but it seems like it can only transpose every string at once? Like he went E standard to D standard but I guess you cant go from E standard to Drop D with a click?

None of them can. That would be quite some processing!

You'd be better off with a clip on tuner and winding down that bottom string.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

That's not possible in realtime. Software like Melodyne can do polyphonic note editing but for tuning one string down you need a lot of intelligence under the hood. :)

• Is this not standard for every modeling device?

I would think you'd need something like a Variax in order to transpose one string at a time.

Yes, that is standard but i asked because who knows maybe they developed this feature. I bought the variax for that reason, and sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it haha. I usually enjoy the sound and feel of my non-variax guitars more. So in my eyes whoever can develop the ability to include alt-tunings in their modeling gear can just take my money.

• Not being interested in the amp tone shaping features is like saying you are not interested in the tone shaping section of an amp.

It's like you are waiting for a perfect capture but what if that perfect capture perfectly captures a tone of an amp not a little off of your preferred settings?

After all, it's a bout having a nice tone not having a "realistic" tone for the sake of it. I'm pretty sure a Kemper profile of a Soldano will be better than a perfect capture of a $50 Behringer amp regardless of the accuracy of the capture process.
    In the same vein, a perfect capture of a Soldano with messed up settings will be less preferable than a 98% accurate profile of a Soldano eq-ed to your liking.

If the QC doesn't have any tone shaping options other than gain and BMT then it would be a huge mistake ... for a lot of people at least.

• If the QC doesn't have any tone shaping options other than gain and BMT then it would be a huge mistake ... for a lot of people at least.

As I understand you can shape captured device to your liking and accurately profile it without need of the additional tweaks. That was advertised.

Isn't that what profiling/capturing is about or I'm missing something. What you describing is rather post process modeling.

• As I understand you can shape captured device to your liking and accurately profile it without need of the additional tweaks. That was advertised.

Isn't that what profiling/capturing is about or I'm missing something. What you describing is rather post process modeling.

Exactly. I would say that the vast majority of people use third-party profiles and a little bit of eq-ing and tone shaping to my own taste is usually required in my experience at least. Not all the time but it happens often. Not having that would restrict you to using the EXACT tone the profile offers.
    When you buy profiles you don't even know how the original setup sounds so it's only about making it work for you. Wouldn't that be the case with QC as well especially since it will never make perfect captures anyway.