AXFXII owner here - Thinking of selling AXFXII and getting a KEMPER - Appreciate your opinions please

• Thanks again for all of the info everyone! I've been reading all I can and I'm even more excited to try the Kemper out! Seems there are quite a bit of AxeII converts! I do believe I am going to order it next week! 8o

If I get the Kemper I would like to use it for recording and for playing through a pair of FRFR speakers. Can I hook up a pair of monitors for my recording setup in addition to my FRFR speakers at the same time or can you only have it hooked up to one setup or the other? I know I could play through my monitors but I want to hear and feel some power with some bigger speakers! I'm really impressed with what I've been hearing online of the Kemper and I hope it meets my expectations.

I just though of something, will I need to buy a Poweramp to use the Kemper with a FRFR setup? If so any recommendations?

• Thanks again for all of the info everyone! I've been reading all I can and I'm even more excited to try the Kemper out! Seems there are quite a bit of AxeII converts! I do believe I am going to order it next week! 8o

If I get the Kemper I would like to use it for recording and for playing through a pair of FRFR speakers. Can I hook up a pair of monitors for my recording setup in addition to my FRFR speakers at the same time or can you only have it hooked up to one setup or the other? I know I could play through my monitors but I want to hear and feel some power with some bigger speakers! I'm really impressed with what I've been hearing online of the Kemper and I hope it meets my expectations.

I just though of something, will I need to buy a Poweramp to use the Kemper with a FRFR setup? If so any recommendations?

FRFR speakers have built in amps, no poweramp needed.

You'll only need a poweramp if you want to use the Kemper "Monitor Out/Cabinet OFF" into a guitar cab.

If you think the Kemper sounds great in recordings you've heard, it's sounds/feels a LOT better when it's in front of you. :thumbup:

• Good thing I am not playing gigs, it doesn't sound like the KPA is
    really ready to be completely trusted to get through a whole show
    without something going wrong. But again, hopefully future firmware
    updates will resolve some or all of these things.

The KPA is being used "live" by guitarists all over the world.
    There are no reports of any crashes whilst playing 'live'...that's old news.

• Have been using KPA live over 50 times now with no issue. It is very stable!
    Lance: there are also passive FRFR monitors...

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• The KPA is being used "live" by guitarists all over the world.
    There are no reports of any crashes whilst playing 'live'...that's old news.

I wouldn't call it old news, as of this morning with the latest firmware I'm still having problems, I'm sure lot's of people are doing fine with their units, but in my case i find the firmware buggy, just had an ERROR message this morning while turning the Browser knob to switch sounds, this only happens occasionally, and I've also had the problem booting the unit, where it took me a few tries and finally 20 minutes to get it working, so unless i have a defective unit, something needs to be done about the firmware, I just finished filling a report to KPA about these issues.
    Trust me I have nothing against KPA, and only wish them the best, but when you have issues like this, I cannot feel confident that it will work every time i turn it on, hopefully a fix will be available soon.

• Back to interfaces - Does anyone use the Focusrite Sapphire Pro 24 DSP? If so what do you think of it and does it work well with the Kemper?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SaffPro24DSP/

Also is it better to run thru Spidf or XLR's? I have read about some probs with hooking up Spidf.

I don't see why this interface shouldn't work fine for you, as far as the Spidf or XLR, i've used both, there is nothing wrong with the XLR sound, so in many cases it's just easier to use, if using the Spdif, you'll need to make sure it's set up properly on your interface/computer software.

• I use the Komplete Audio 6 interface, it really is a good unit, very fast and sounds great.

I have both the Kemper and a Axe II, both are amazing, either one would be good for you.
    The Kemper is super straight forward, the Axe II can be as complex as you like.
    I like simple and use the axe that way, I did not like the Ultra, I sold it.
    The axe II is a whole different thing, I find it much easier to use.
    I have had them both for awhile now.
    I am going to keep both and see what happens.
    We are lucky to have these choices.
    Chris

• I wouldn't call it old news, as of this morning with the latest firmware I'm still having problems, I'm sure lot's of people are doing fine with their units, but in my case i find the firmware buggy, just had an ERROR message this morning while turning the Browser knob to switch sounds, this only happens occasionally, and I've also had the problem booting the unit, where it took me a few tries and finally 20 minutes to get it working, so unless i have a defective unit, something needs to be done about the firmware, I just finished filling a report to KPA about these issues.
    Trust me I have nothing against KPA, and only wish them the best, but when you have issues like this, I cannot feel confident that it will work every time i turn it on, hopefully a fix will be available soon.

Sorry to extend this OT, but have you done the usual resets (system etc) and factory initializations? Because if you have and youre' still encountering this (and you've made sure to always eject your USB key from your computer rather than just taking it out) then unles syou have installed a dodgy profile in there you have a defective unit, because the firmware isn't going to work differently on different peoples KPA's, it's software, it's on an identical hardware platform, it will be and behave exactly the same on every single unit unless there's a defect. Simple as that.

• Sorry to extend this OT, but have you done the usual resets (system etc) and factory initializations? Because if you have and youre' still encountering this (and you've made sure to always eject your USB key from your computer rather than just taking it out) then unles syou have installed a dodgy profile in there you have a defective unit, because the firmware isn't going to work differently on different peoples KPA's, it's software, it's on an identical hardware platform, it will be and behave exactly the same on every single unit unless there's a defect. Simple as that.

I agree, and i'm starting to think it might have some hardware issue and that it might need to be returned, yes I've done all the known resets etc, spent too much time on that already, next thing I'll need to do is get rid of all profiles and start new, meanwhile have contacted support to see what they say, I understand the software should behave the same on identical hardware, so something isn't right.

• As stupid as it sounds, the best would be to keep the Axe II, get the Kemper under return policy, and decide afterward which one to keep....but I understand the financials. Nothing and nobody can substitute your ears and your feel. A lot of people here have both of them, let's see if somebody chimes in.

Agree. Really the best way to go.

FRFR speakers have built in amps, no poweramp needed.

I'd not agree on this, Guitartone :)

FRFR is a "not official" acronym which doesn't mean anything scientific
    or technical, but which in the end means an electro-acoustical
    transducer able to return a more or less flat response over a more or
    less extended frequency range. It is in itself not inherent to
    amplification, and can be applied to any kind of device. A passive studio monitor is a good example
    of an "FRFR" cab needing an amplification.

OTOH, an active cab/monitor can exhibit some good qualities, because the
    coupling between the poweramp and the loudspeaker has been optimized if
    compared to a random coupling with a different amp :)

• I know you get passive and/or powered FRFRs, obviously. :)

But, when guitarists are chatting about what FRFR to use for their digital modeller, they're usually talking about a powered FRFR speaker to use onstage as their "amp" replacement or to give them the "in the room" feeling at home.

FRFR is just a fancy word/fancy letters (possibly invented on TGP) for a powered loudspeaker system ..do a search for "Full range flat response" over here...zero results. :)
    http://www.qscaudio.com/products/products.htm

If every FRFR was really full range flat response (which they aren't) we wouldn't have to spend $1800 on one "FRFR" powered speaker.

• ... or even more I guess! :D

OTOH, several people (on TGP as well) are using (or intend to use) say a Matrix poweramp with passive (Atomic, or Matrix as well) cabs. This would make a "perfect" FRFR system!

• And: Post the same questions in the AXE II Forum to get balanced input.
    Keep in mind: No Librarian, No Undo/Redo, No Perfom Mode, No Pitch Shifter, No two amps at the same time, Not the best midi assignment...at the moment

but all these cons where blown away when I tried it at home, in the studio and live!!!! SOUND, SOUND, SOUND!!!!
    And all these things above are just a matter of updates (which come out quite often)

+1 :thumbup:

• Hi again everyone, thanks for the great discussion.

I was just reading some posts that there is a possibility of a rack mount Kemper on the way? I am wondering now if I should hold off for that if it wont be too long. Any word on when It might arrive if it is? Also any talk on any new features it might have? I still may just go for the 'lunchbox' though. I actually dont mind its looks.

• Hi again everyone, thanks for the great discussion.

I was just reading some posts that there is a possibility of a rack mount Kemper on the way? I am wondering now if I should hold off for that if it wont be too long. Any word on when It might arrive if it is? Also any talk on any new features it might have? I still may just go for the 'lunchbox' though. I actually dont mind its looks.

Nothing official is announced, as of yet. Additionally, I wouldn't expect any new features that won't be applicable on this KPA.
    If you have made up your mind and you are sure, I would suggest you go for the current KPA, instead of waiting. :)

• Thanks Stemast, yes I dont have the patience to wait. :) I will be ordering a Kemper this week. I really look forward to hearing how it stacks up to my AxeFxII. I am going to try all those Metallica and Pantera presets I saw in addition to a bunch from the excahnge. I really want to run the kemper thru its paces and try to find the best rigs so I can really get a sense of how great the Kemper is.

Are there any recommended hi gain metal patches that I should try out? There are so many in the exchange, I want to find the best so I can really hit the ground running. I can tell its going to be alot of fun trying out as many as I can though. I'm also real excited about the Kempers workflow compared to the Axe. Two different routes to take. Kemper looks and looks like it responds more like a real amp. I really like that and I actually really like the way it looks.

I cant wait!

• Have an AXE FX2, Kemper arrived yesterday - only got a little time to check it out, but first impressions are pretty good - backed up so i have factory presets, updated firmware and put the Kemper profile pack on, all very easy.

Spent some time going through the stock presets, some very useable profiles already there.. i would say, that the guitar you play can have huge impact on the tone (like real rigs) some profiles that sounded terrible to me on my Strat, sounded pretty good with a Les Paul etc..

Anyway, very early days but enough of a 1st impression to keep me digging in. Will it replace my AXE FX 2? Don't know... will i keep both? don't know.. but so far very glad i took the plunge to check it out...

Wasn't sure about the look of the ol lunch box, got the black one and think it looks cool, very easy to navigate, but already a little frustrated with lack of an editor, or more importantly a decent browser for profiles..