Mix no. 6. Sticks and Stones.

• This is my version of the brown sound (phaser + flanger). My last mix was a little bass heavy so I compensated on this one but I think too much. So, if I find the middle on the next one then I should be okay. This one was a lot of fun for me to play. I liked adding that Duran Duran tone at the end. I think the solo should have been boosted more.

Please critique.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Thanks for sharing this BayouTexan - especially in the light of the nice discussion around your development in that area. I really like that and how you are asking for critique and your willingness to learn. It is a journey... definitely for me it is :)

Just few observations on that song and mix: I think the guitars are well played and your creative ideas on the guitar are moving forward. What strikes me most here is that drums and bass are way too much in the background for me, sometimes even hard to make out what happens with them because they are pretty covered by the guitar. I like to call these type of mixes "guitarist mixes"... and I am guilty as well. Bit more balance of all instruments would certainly help to make it sound more complete. And indeed the drums do not have much variations. That could be a bit more lively in the composition.

But again: Keep it up :thumbup:8)

• Hey, sounding good! I'll concur I want to hear much more bass, if you drop the guitar back down in the mix it'll actually sound more epic and less like a lone guitarist. The riffs are great and playing is solid, it's just about sitting it in that mix.

• Thank you guys! I couldn't agree more. I do feel like I am getting close to figuring it all out. I much prefer the truth over getting smoke blown up my butt. Sometimes that truth hurts but it pays dividends in how I progress forward. More will be coming. This drum-bass mixing part is aggravating but I am determined to get that corrected.

• And remember that there is personal taste in the game. I can only tell you what sounds good to me. And that might be totally different from other people's taste. For sure there is common sense about a few things in mixing (modern) music. But there is no one size fits all. Certainly some of the best sounding or most emotionally touching recordings / mixes have been done rather contradictionary to the common sense I'd say. So some experiments may be worth as well :)

• I completely understand that some will not like my taste in music, but yes, I am more interested right now in just doing proper mixes and balancing all the instruments using a few genres. So a critique like; the mix is good but I don't like the song - is still a win for me.

I'm really going to focus in on getting the drum track to have "punch and feel" how I like it this week, then add the bass track and make both work together. I have very little experience with these two instruments and that inexperience is showing up the mixes.

No doubt I am learning though! and having fun doing it!