Progressive metal mix - Truth in Lies.

• I wrote this one 2 years ago and finally decided to mix it. I'm using high gain on guitar and the intro sounds a bit messy sitting outside the mix. I need more practice softening up my pick attack and get my fingers dead-on accurate to lower some unwanted resonance. I have a couple of spots where the pick attack put out too much top end on the bass guitar, but again, I just need some more practice.

I tightened up the kick and snare sounds and added more of my own drum fills to this one. I think the drums and bass generally came out pretty good. The guitar track is pretty damn close to the tone I wanted for this song and maybe just some softening of the top end is needed? This one kind of wore me out so I'm happy to be moving on to another one.

Using Schecter Sun Valley and EMG Retroactive pups and GB Mebo Sing Rect 808 profile.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Nice riffs. This would sound really fab if you were to add a rhythm guitar. It doesn't have to be very far forward in the mix, but I think it would add a lot of transient definition to what the bass guitar is doing and allow you to bring the drums up further. Good job!

• Nice one, I second Per on this one, just a 2nd or double tracked palm muted part would really do it.

Happy to see that you're working hard on your projects and getting some progress :)

I would also add that you don't always need 5 mn long tracks, most people are used to 2/3 mn songs now, especially the young ones, it's really hard to maintain their attention for long especially on instrumentals.

• Left side is way louder than right side?!

Only one critique? I must be doing way better then. ;) About a 2.5db from left to right just on the guitar track, but I did that on purpose. Only you noticed so far.

I would also add that you don't always need 5 mn long tracks, most people are used to 2/3 mn songs now, especially the young ones, it's really hard to maintain their attention for long especially on instrumentals.

I totally agree with that. My attention span is pretty short too, but just about all my songs have been written to lyrics, and that's how I want to record them --to practice the vocals over and do a complete mix when the time comes. I hope that makes sense.

Edited 2 times, last by BayouTexan ().

• Nice riffs. This would sound really fab if you were to add a rhythm guitar. It doesn't have to be very far forward in the mix, but I think it would add a lot of transient definition to what the bass guitar is doing and allow you to bring the drums up further. Good job!

Some Nashville Tuning could be coming up. I just got in a 12-string electric pack. So I just have to figure out what guitar is going to get restrung. LOL.