ANTI DEFINITION

• So my go to knob at moment seems to the definition control. As some of you know i am always complaining about woofiness or clarity. Instead of raising treble or presence i like a bump in the def control. Im talking a .03 bump here, not huge. But one thing definition does not do is remove the low end character AROUND a note. But the def is great for improving the other qualities.. Why cant we have a knob that does the same opposite way? Thins out the lower notes a bit, clears them out (less body) and improves clarity in the lower area. Its one complaint about the kemper, the low mid body woofiness. If your not going to improve the proliling, then give us a control to take it out. Oh and colour designation for profiles pleeeeease.

• I think I know what you mean about low end "woofiness". If it's the same as what I am thinking it is then a compressor will help get rid of it and tighten up the low end. I have also used a flanger (very very lightly) to tighten up the low end. You can do almost the same thing with a very light phaser but that effect adds a lot of color on your mid-top end. The compressor would be best. Unless someone else has a better idea.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Maybe just finding another rig as a starting point that's closer to what you're trying to get to would help. With almost 30K in Rig Exchange, all of the included Kemper content, and pretty much endless commercial choices, there's a whole lot to go through.

For me, there are some tweaks I almost always apply. Also like you, I frequently change definition, but for me that's most often to brighten up a rig for a humbucker or to darken it a bit for a single coil. I like adding some Power Sag to increase the dynamic range and to slightly clean up the gain (some may disagree but that's what it does for me). I usually bring it up to between 3 and 5. Probably the most frequent change for me is changing the cab. I find a rig that to me sounds great. I generally find that if I save the cab as a preset. I can then use that cab preset on other rigs, even ones that are nothing like what I'd use. To me the improvement is instant and obvious. I've got a few IR's that I like, but more often than not I find that I prefer Kemper cabs from other profiles. In my opinion, just about any profile can quickly become usable with a switch to a cab I like.

I rarely use much EQ. I just find that although the overall sound changes, it really isn't better or worse - just different.

After a few tweaks, if I can't get pretty close to something I like, I just move on to another rig.

• I’m confused, the thread title say ‘Anti Definition’, so thought maybe you didn’t like the definition control, but then you mention you like to adjust it?? I may be misunderstanding.

I’m going to rant a bit here. I have noticed the definition knob set to 10 on many free profiles. It’s not the cure all panacea for what ails a profile. It can help move a profile from vintage ( loose ) to modern ( tighter ). What it won’t do is transform a profile meant for a certain genre, to a sound suitable for a different genre. I have noticed the definition setting MAY get moved progressively higher when you keep ‘refining’ a profile. All of us should revisit all the settings, including definition when we profile, to make sure it is not set to 100%, especially when the sound is meant to be more period correct.

The effect of 100% definition can sound like there is a wah filter, and this can be really annoying. Alot of the times, I audition sounds, and the first thing I do is look at that definition knob setting. If a sound is close to what I want, but is a little fluffy, I’ll cut the lows going into the amp section. This is the key, the secret sauce. Too much bass going into the amp can cause flabbiness.. You can alternatively use the treble booster pedal into a low flabby sounding profile.

Watch the video with Mr Kemper about liquid profiling, he talks about this very subject of bass and definition.

• If a sound is close to what I want, but is a little fluffy, I’ll cut the lows going into the amp section. This is the key, the secret sauce. Too much bass going into the amp can cause flabbiness.. You can alternatively use the treble booster pedal into a low flabby sounding profile.

I have done this when making Kemper profiles myself. I often run an EQ at the input of the amp. :thumbup:

In the VST I am writing, I default to a 150 Hz high pass filter as the very first thing. For higher gain stuff I have increased it to 250-300 Hz. It seems to make a huge difference. Low gain to clean stuff I will sometimes roll this back to 100 Hz.

I have not tried to work out what real amps do. But this made a huge difference for me in making things sound tighter.

I also wrote a distortion pedal that is a 700 Hz(adjustable) bandpass. This effectively kills the lows also. Could add a stomp in profiles that need less bass as another form of adjustment.

But it brings up an interesting question about what the Kemper is doing. Since it only sees the final output, it may always be a touch flubby. The profiled amp may cut the lows before gain, but then EQ some bass back in after gain. The Kemper only sees the bassy final gain output.

As to the OP, The Definition control is basically doing a high pass. Knowing the Kemper engineers, it is also doing more. In their mind, your request is already handled by adding an EQ before the amp stage.

If you are not doing too much before the amp you can also switch the AMP EQ position to PRE and roll some bass off before the amp gain section. Then add another EQ after the amp to get the bass back.

Both ways work, but both eat up a slot.

• Nice input guys. I do DI profiles an so the things in the equation to make a difference is less. Ive experimented with all different stuff. Cables etc. I use a weber out DI an i get a much clearer thinner profile i like but its less spongy. I use the kemper DI and its round and larger an more like the amp but the woofiness is there and more bass. If i had something inbetween i be more happy. Why kemper will not address this is beyond me. But a control too take the blanket off the low end mid area would solve discrepancies with peoples choice of DI, cables and any contributing factors that cause eq in the chain. So yea, i call it anti definition by banter but it could be called anything. This clip kinda works on some profiles but i dont want to do this all the time anyway.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.