Posts by joshriggs

Well, you also have to figure that the Stage costs $700 more than the FM3, which is going to influence demand.

True, but you'll need a $500 FC6 to give it ccomparable foot switching abilities. And since they're forever on backorder, the cheapest you can find them on reverb is around $1400. I've seen them as high as $2000. ?

To be fair, there have been a backlog previously with the Stage and Kabinet but they have been possibly more temporary...

It must be difficult for companies that are relatively small to determine the volumes to produce for such high cost items.

True, but yet some companies do it well, like Strymon. Overall, fractal reminds me of the (pre-Covid) boutique donut shop down the street that always runs out by noon. Surely there are enough donut resources for you to make more. ?

I briefly owned a Fractal FM3 before switching to Kemper. Just an interesting observation that their key offering products are always on backorder (took me a year+ to get my FM3 from the waitlist), while I can easily buy a Kemper Stage or a Strymon Iridium, etc. Not to hate on the competition, but it seems kinda strange. Guitar gear supply chains and manufacturing is really fascinating.

Awesome!

I've done FRFR for years (PA/DXR10/XiTone/Bose L1) and they all do well live.

Now I have a Kabinet with SD 700, and it feels/sounds every bit as good as my Avatar 2x12 with V30s.

Nice. I've thought about getting a Kabinet for home jamming. Just to clarify, I wasn't referring to the whole Fletcher Munson curve thing. Just that some profiles that didn't quite have the character and fullness I want when recording sounded phenomenal when cranked up to ear bleeding volumes.

I finally got to take my new Profiler Stage to the band rehearsal room today. Up until today I've just been using it to record and play through studio monitors.

First off, holy shit, this thing continues to amaze me. It sounded like a real amp with my Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 and 2x12 cab.

The interesting thing is that I tried tons of different profiles, and the one I liked best for high gain (Top Jimi Friedman JJ100) was one I thought sounded just ok for recording. My recording favorites also sounded good, but the JJ100 was so dynamic, with all the right overtones and touch sensitivity. Anyone else have that experience, where a profile that sounds bad in one situation comes alive in another?

You can always reamp with the Kemper effects later, with the mix in mind. A dry direct signal is always a safe measure. You can record also with effects if it is more inspiring (it usually is) and then reamp if necessary. It is annoying when you realize your take has too much gain, reverb or whatever.

Yeah, that's what I do - wet signal in stereo + DI. So far it's worked great and I haven't needed to reamp something because I don't like the effects in the mix.

Interesting observation: seems like most people don't record reverb and delay from their Kemper. I get why, but for me personally, Kemper verbs and delays are much better than any plugins I have. But I also play mostly space-y, heavy post-metal stuff, so I like very lush and full time-based effects.

i have a 2x12 Orange-style Avatar cab. It's heavy AF, though. And maybe I just had the wrong modeler / FRFR combo before (Helix + Friedman ASC-12). What are some good FRFR options that retain their fullness when cranked over a loud drummer?

i can’t imagine a situation where a 1x12 isn’t loud enough. If its too loud for a 1x1w then your hearing is getting seriously damaged even with ear protection. For 30 years I used a Dual Rectifier with either one or 2 Mesa EVM12L Thiele cabs. One was plenty loud enough but two aloud a better spread for big stages. I’ve always hated 412 cabs anyway but a 1x12 can be devastatingly loud.

When you play in a metal band with my drummer :)

But seriously, it's not about peak loudness. For heavy tones with tight low end, nothing makes up for moving more air via more speakers. So yes, a single 12" FRFR might have enough volume to be heard over a loud drummer, it will sound thin and hollow compared to 2x12s at the same volume. If I was playing indie rock, classic rock, country, etc, a single 12" frfr would be fine. There's a reason you don't see metal and heavy rock bands with 1x12 combos on stage. And I hope I don't come off as an ass here, it's just my experience.

Thanks. I'm not interested in going FRFR as I mentioned earlier in the thread. but good to know about the cab settings. I have a good 2x12 v30 cab and power amp, and don't want to have to sell all that plus spend more to get an FRFR big enough for my needs. The profiles I hope to use live are all professionally made, and have direct versions, so hopefully that won't be an issue.

That's where a FRFR cab might be tremendously-convenient, Josh; it'd take 90% of the guesswork out of the equation 'cause you could simply send complete Rigs to both feeds.

Not a fan of FRFR cabs. They just don't feel right to me, and I need something more powerful than a 1x12 (which most reasonably priced FRFR cabs are) in rehearsal. I've thought about loading up my 2x12 cab with Celestion f12-x200s, but I don't wanna drop the $300 for that just yet.

Hey all. Does anyone play through a power amp and real cab for their own monitoring, and also send a direct out to the house? If so, what's your method for getting a similar sound from your cab and direct signal? With previous modelers I owned, I would EQ my tone for the real cab how I wanted it, and then A/B it with the direct signal to our rehearsal room PA and try to find a cab IR that sounded similar. With Profiles, it's a little less cut and dry. Would love to hear what you folks do.