Posts by Dynochrome

My powered toaster and footpedal went in the cabin with me just fine. It took less space than half the peoples carry ons, Not to mention their purse, diaper bag, neck pillow and blanket combo.

I don't think Pete is much of a Kemper fan. How much do you see him use it? Once? I completely disagree with "wipe the Kemper clean when you get it and buy as many Michael Britt profiles as you can afford". MB profiles are really good, but not the end all. TJ & BM have awesome profiles as well. Did Pete try those before saying that? Bet not. There are many profile that came with my Kemper that are more than just usable. For instance try MB's free EVH profile or his BE100 profiles and then try the one in the new legends pack (Bert's profile BE100) and tell me what you think.

Knowing I could dig in and handle technical rigs, I once had a preamp that would let you tweek mic placement, tube bias, tube/solid state balance etc etc. TONS of tweeking options. I was messing with it constantly. Played a gig with a guy with his one channel amp, with like three knobs on it and he killed my tone. Knowing how good units are now I decided to go all digital and replace my heavy tube amps. At the time there was mostly Kemper & Fractal units being used by pros. After understanding that a Kemper is as good as the profile you use, not reliant on models or factory settings plus is simple to understand and you can tweek but not much is needed in most cases with good profiles, I went with a Kemper and couldn't be happier. I was dialing up the best sounds I ever had in minutes, and now spend almost zero time tweeking and more time playing. Levels and FX are about the only thing I ever adjust, I rarely even mess with EQ. The Kemper is magic to me and just so musical. My only regret is I wish I would have bought the Power rack instead of toaster so I could panel mount the footswitch in and XLR out for live durability.

I have a SVT profile that came from somewhere free, I'll have to look where but as soon as I played it, I didn't want to record Bass with anything else. Believe it or not, I used to use my GSP1101/power amp into a 1x12 miked with a I5 dynamic mic and got bass killer sounds, way better than I could ever get going straight into the board or audio preamp. My Kemper is even better and I love using it to record bass with!

Which Ampeg profile was it you were looking for? I don't see any factory bass Ampegs in the reference list that aren't named "Amp pig". I've went through gobs of guitar profiles but the very first bass profile I ever tried is still the best one I've tried. It's an SVT that came in my Kemper, I can't recall the name but I know there wasn't "Amp pig" in the name. I filtered bass in the reference list and all of the Ampegs read that. I'm sure mine was a factory rig but I didn't find it on this list filtering bass.

Just to clarify, conceptually there is no Ballerina delay. "Ballerina" is a factory preset of the Dual Chromatic Delay with particular settings. You seem to have changed at least one pitch. So, what you have got now, is not Ballerina anymore. It's the Dual Chromatic Delay with your settings.

I was about to say Hey! I don't have a Ballerina delay in mine!?(

in the early 2000s I saw Hansford Rowe with Gongzilla in a small club in Hollywood and he had the most amazing bass sound.
    Talked to him about it afterwards and it turns out, he runs a monster of a tube bass amp pretty much wide open and does everything with the volume pot and his fingers.
    This and the way many fuzz pedals react to changes on the volume pot prepared me for how musically the PROFILER reacts to these changes as well.

What is so cool about the Kemper is one size can fit all. You can either use it as described, blazing hot and then use volume control to vary cleanliness and dynamics in a way that feels JUST like a tube amp (or better), or run it like a rack device that has a different gain level for each preset. I've always been intolerable to any compromise and want what I want when I want it with a guitar amp, and the Kemper has been giving me that. If I feel like running it like a cranked up plexi and use the volume control, it does it perfect. If I just want to go from an AC 30 to a grinding ENGL, it does that too. I initially wrote this because I never really inspected how well the amp can clean up and really surprised me recording how (I'm guessing) the amp compression kept everything right with the mix. It never got weak, stayed punchy but not pokey. Having played gillions of amps, I would challenge anybody to come out with any amp, show me it's ability to go from shred level high gain to excellent clean with only the volume control and I'd bet I could match/beat it with the Kemper. Sometimes I feel like this amp HAS to be part "accident" and there's no way someone actually designed this with this ability to act so "tube like" and ability to adjust the feel, like it came from the future.

If you delete such a folder there is a warning, that this is a permanent deletion.

If you have a PC backup, you might be able to recover these. Local Library folders are folders on PC operating system level.

I was just in the profile list and accidentally pressed initialize performance. There was no warning, just gone.

I never used it since the 80's when I used a JMP 2204. Normally I'll go for a clean rig too but am amazed by the way a Kemper can clean up even with a very distorted profile. It's almost unbelievable. I've found that some higher gain amps can produce a punchier clean sound than some clean amp profiles do. For me, never being a real volume knob user, it's fun to see the range of sounds you can get that way.

Never knew that. Thanks for this info. I always had problems with cleanup, and this is probably the solution i’ve been looking for :)

I was thinking the same thing as I've found some clean up better than others and keep the volume where I want it. I never checked the differences in amp compression.

would love to know what profile you were using

Just about any good sounding high gain profile will do this. Lots of rigs in the free stuff will clean up beautifully. I'm going to look into the compressor in the amp section Don spoke of. It may be a key differences in profiles I like and don't like.

the compressor in the AMPLIFIER section is for exactly this - cleaning up by turning down the volume pot without losing too much volume.

Thanks I didn't acknowledge that. I'll have to experiment with it. That could be a important control I'm overlooking when tweeking.

Was it a free profile? Can you post so we can hear how it screams ourselves?

I recall it was "G6 boost" from BM's BE100 pack, That doesn't really matter, as that's just one of my favs . Most good high gain distortion profiles will do the same thing I'm pretty sure. (Clean up well). I was lead to this pack from the Kemper Legacy pack's VH profile. I discovered who the original author of the profile was and became curious about the rest of his stuff. For free stuff, that is close to amp sounds I use in the BE100 pack. (I don't think it really sounds like VH but sounds great.)

Few of my FX slots are the ones that came with the rig. Proper delay/reverb really helps the amp to "sing". I have two saved stomp and FX blocks I usually put in as a "default template" when I build performances Left to right : Wah, chorus or flanger, Phaser, boost or drive ped. Then a blank spot for a harmonizer or post amp modulation, then a barely detectable delay with 1-1/2 repeats that helps drive the reverb and makes it big that Is on most of the time, med/large dual delay, and reverb.

Some of us were discussing all the rig choices and how some people are juggling around 20-30 amps. I tell people that are tube amp snobs about my Kemper all the time with mixed reception how dynamic it is. I was a tube amp snob, so I understand.

Last night I had a raging distortion profile that will scream harmonically and sustain in beautiful controlled feedback at will. I was recording and wanted to see just how clean I could get it. I coil tapped and brought the volume down and was getting an amazing clean sound that most people wouldn't believe was actually a screaming amp with the twist of a knob. Best part of it was, that it maintained a perfect balance to the dirty sound that sat just right in the mix. I think the Kemper cleans up better and more usable than a tube amp does. I had to report this as I was pretty blown away that it could get that clean and spanky with no noise and then go to full on . With modlers I had in the past, turning down the volume resulted in horribly broken up grit, and I would never use the volume knob to clean up I just hit another preset. With the Kemper I find myself using the volume knob much more. It actually cleans up without drastically lowering the perceived volume somehow which is amazing to me. Now I don't need a bunch of rigs that have different gain levels, I just use a couple and between that and maybe a drive pedal and my volume knob I have uncanny versatility.

I accidentally "initialized" a performance last week that I spent a ton of time on. :cursing: Most things you can edit and as long as you don't save, you are OK. This is not one of them. Luckily , I had done a complete backup the week before so I didn't loose everything. I would strongly suggest backing up individual performances local on rig manager & thumb drive/passport once you get them the way you want them. You don't want to have to restore the entire device if you wipe a performance accidentally.

if you are using these things for gigging, it just doesn't work that way. You don't need 20 amps at a 4 hour show. When taking an amp to a show we all usually only take one. Then we take a pedal board to add effects and drives to alter the tone of that one amp.

That type of thing also feeds into the "digital devices are terrible" thinking in the minds of those watching it happen.

Your whole reply was spot on , almost like I wrote it! I look at my Kemper as my killer Vintage Marshall super lead with simplicity, versatility, consistency and built in FX. What started out frustrating because of all the choices, I pretty much use 2 amps now 90% of the time, the variance comes from say if I use a tele or P-90's I'll often use the famous Morgan AC 20 everyone loves (including me) or for cleaner sounds maybe a /13 or something all that can be tweeksd for gain, have a pedal boost etc. Utopia!

1) I've never had a problem with "fizz" from a Kemper. Fizz is a byproduct of too much gain. I find with a Kemper I can use lower amounts of gain below the fizzy threshold and keep sustain and fullness. It's like the entire amp has more sustain without gain or hindering dynamics. The way it feels is what makes me love mine the most.

2) Are you using the compressor pre amp or post amp? Which slot?

I have that too, from time to time, even thought not as bad as you descripe it.

Last time when i had a bit of a "kemper-down", a friend had bought a hotone ampero and i helped him with installation and making some rigs, when i got home i switched the kemper on... and it sounded soooo damn good again !

So, find a friend with an ampero! ;)

Trying other $3,000.00 &$4,000.00 amps will make you come home and beg your Kemper for forgiveness and take you back. The Kemper is just so musical. The more other high dollar gear & amps you try the more you realize how awesome the Kemper is. I spent the holiday in music stores trying out tons of expensive stuff just to realize Kemper has completely eliminated my GAS. I just look at other amps and go "That's nice".