Posts by ckemper

Please repeat this profile, since this attempt went obviously wrong.
    The volume difference is weird.
    Direct profiles usualy work as well as profiles with cab.

Even if considering that, the influence appears to be much bigger with KPA. For example, replacing a cab section of a not-so-good-sounding(-to-me-on-my-setup) profile with a Till's cab would make a huge difference, making it sound a lot better, but at the same time, sound quite similar to many of my other profiles with their cab section replaced by the Till's cab.

That is not a miracle.
    The cabinet will define the overall sound by 60 to 70% in my estimation.
    Even in the real world, when you use different amps with the same cab, you will achieve very similar sounds.
    One day at a profiling session we have managed to get absolutely the same sound from a Bogner and a Soldano, only by coincident, and of course using the same physical cabinet.
    They were absolutely indistinguishable.

The effect of equal sounds that you were experiencing is not caused by the way the Profiler handles amps. It's the nature of amps.

By using the monitor output and "CabOff" technically the dynamics are all preserved, but the frequency responce changes.
    You should find an appropriate setting with the 4 band monitor equalizer that is placed in the Master/Output section.
    Using that EQ is mandatory, as we cannot anticipate what cabinet you are using on stage.

We will work on some better ways to get the amp in the room sound in the future.
    For now this is the way to go, and many people find good results.

Tell me what you think.

Your problem with sound problems tied to the gain or volume sound similar to the same sounds i had with the kemper. Mine kind of sounded like it there was a guy doing morse code in the back ground with the amp's gain at 7 or higher. I also had a repetitive oscilation of some voice when i had it system up stairs near my computer. My axe fx ultra doesn't have this issue so i decided to send the kemper back. I think i may have got in on this system to early in its life cycle and needs to be cleared of all its problems. I was considering keeping it till i ran into the RF or electromagnetic interference issue i had. I have enough problems with trying to eliminate that noise from my other equipment like my laptop as it is. Maybe i ill check out the next version when ever it comes out down the road. Anyways good luck with your kempers fella's.

Weird that you have sold your KPA due to that reason.
    Yes, you have run into an electromagnetic interference issue. The electric guitar is by nature a perfect receiver for electromagnetic radiations.
    No guitar amp - analog or digital - can prevent this. It can only be treated by a bit by less gain or a noise gate.
    If you experience more or less trouble with different amps, then it's not different RF senititvities, but only different sound characters, that let the noise appear in a different sound or intensity.

There is a simple test. Unplug the cable from the amp (not the guitar). Disable the noise gate. What you hear is what the residual noise of the amp. Plug the cable back in. The additional noise is produced only by the guitar.

There will be no next version of the KPA with less noise, due to that reason. There is no design flaw.

I got your point, but it stands in contradiction to what Andrew said:

[
    Having to stop playing and then wander across the room to mess with cables also kills the immediacy of the A/B comparison. It would be so much easier if Kemper would give us an automatic mute option so home users can do an immediate comparison without losing the flow of playing.

He wants to make this A/B comparison, you want to check the profile, when it's done, without looking back to the original "amp in the room" sound.
    For me there is a big difference whether to embed this mute into the direct A/B comparison or one step later.

Yes, and I have read three time the core message: "it would make the workflow easier", which is not enough information for me.
    Since there is a number of ways to implement a mute function, I was trying to find out where in the workflow it makes it easier.

We check every new function for a maximum usability and - when it comes to profiling - workflow safety.

You might agree that when there is an option or preference available that the amp is muted everytime you listen to the internal profile, then users who are less skilled than you might instinctively opt for this, as they feel it would be right to listen to the pure profile, without having the reference amp playing along even in the other room.
    But this would cause the A/B comparison to fail, as you change the environmental sound, everytime you switch back and forth. Then the reason for the failure would not be obvious for less skilled users.
    Please take this into consideration.

I have plans for an option to mute the direct out, when you leave the profiling mode and go back to the browser mode, then the profile can be heard without the reference amp playing along.

Would you like that?

I mean the feature is, that it doesn't mute.
    We had it in an early state when it muted, and found out that it makes an A/B comparison impossible.

So you want to adapt the close mic sound to the " in the room" of the amp?

As I said in my first post... :rolleyes:

At the moment the workflow for those of us monitoring in the same room as the reference amp is needlessly awkward and the fix is trivially simple to implement.

I don't know why you are being so stubborn on this issue - are you saying the product is only intended for people with an isolation cab or a soundproof studio? That rules out a very large enthusiast market. ?(

If the Profiler was only made for isolated studios, the mute function would not be a problem, right?
    But even professional studios do not have perfect acoustics. This is why this feature is necessary for a valuable A/B comparison even in a pro studio.

The question is, what you want to achieve.
    Do you want an A/B comparison, that does not work anyway, or do you want to have a quick switch to listen to the pure profile, to get an impression how it would sound without the reference amp in the room?

Btw. the refining process will not work without the active sound of the reference amp.

Believe me, it would have been the same effect as modifying the gain knob on the KPA.

You are all overinterpreting both controls.

Clean Sense only adapts the input level to the KPA.
    Doing that, it takes care about the loudness of clean sounds while not altering distorted sounds.

Distorted sense does the opposite: It adapts the level resp. gain for distorted sounds, if that's required.

There is no colouring or additional dynamic whatsoever connected to these controls.
    Please don't create an urban myth!

But how can you hear the Kemper profile if it's being drowned out by the reference amp? :wacko: My Genelec monitors are pretty good, but they can't compete with a cranked 50W amp! Surely in a home situation, NOT muting the reference amp (and alternately the Kemper amp) makes a comparison impossible? ?(

How could you compare the profile if the reference amp sound monitored thru your studio speakers will drown in the direct cabinet sound anyway?

If you have a listening situation like that, an A/B comparison is impossible by definition.

I would definitely NOT suggest muting the reference amp when you listen to the Kemper profile. The purpose of A/B'ing is to get an accurate profile, and muting your amp would pretty much kill that.

If you really, really don't want to hear the amp, you could try unplugging part of the jack that's in the "send" output (saves you a trip to the amp :P ). I don't think there is an option in the KPA for it (muting the ref amp).

Correct.
    Muting the amp would make an A/B comparisin simply impossible. Even if the amp is in the next room.
    No option.

I am aware of that. But I haven't seen major brands marketing this concept as a nice alternative to coloring boosters