Posts by MaxTwang

For exemple, a modern rock rhythm tone is often achieve by blending 2 amps, one of witch is way less distorted. (That's where the dynamics comes from) I'm not sure how you could EQ match that less distorted tone as EQ match is terrible at clean tones.

What do you think? Anyone has any special trick up their sleeves? :whistling:

Have you tried adding a little Direct Mix in the amp section?

OK I finally got a semi-decent result by simply taking the Silver Jube profile and adding a TS in front of it with the gain cranked. I get a lot of extraneous noise however. Adjusting the noise gate helps but dulls the volume when playing repetitive legato with no picking. It's not a great sound but it serves the purpose for the drill.

I experimented quite a bit with the gain control. You really have to crank it high to get gain to sound when playing legato like this. When picking it is much more pronounced and as one would expect. But unless it's set very high hammer-ons come out sounding clean.

Can you post your profile and a clip of playing with a pick and hammer-ons?

Did you buy your Kemper new or used (sometimes used devices have funky settings from the previous owner).

A few things to try:

1. Add a little Direct Mix in the Amp block (2 - 3 max.). This is an old studio trick for punching things up.
    2. Turn down Presence a little.
    3. Turn down Gain in the Amp block and add a Waveshaper in an effects slot - try the Soft Waveshaper at a low drive setting. More gain stages at lower drive settings tend to give smoother distortion. Wave shapers can be used after the Stack too.
    4. Put an EQ before or after the Stack and add some mids and dial out some highs. Rmpacheco's Morgan profile has a couple EQs that are a good reference for EQ settings.
    5. Try slight adjustments to the High Shift in the Cab block (probably dial it down just a little).

Keep the adjustments small, a little goes a long way to tweak a profile for your touch.

Only very briefly, didn't try enough to form any opinion other than the profile I tried it on didn't benefit from it so I moved on,

I was curious if using a specific Ownhammer IR (cab .kipr file) in the Kemper produces similar results to running the Kemper into the Axe running the same IR.

If you don't have a mixer or audio interface for mixing the Kemper with backing tracks then the Kemper has a stereo auxiliary input you can plug an iPod/computer audio/CD player into (when using the aux. Input you can't use the KPA's fx loop as they use the same connectors).

Too much twang? Never! Not possible!! Heresy!!! :D:D

How did your profile sound during the refining process?

Were you using a single mic? What was the mic distance? Have you tried different mic positions with the Kemper? Have you tried a different mic? Is it possible that with the mic so far off-axis that it was pointing to the floor/wall/corner and picking up reflections that were causing phase issues?

Try lowering High Shift in the Cab Block? A little goes a long way. Also try adjusting/lowering 'Character' in the Cab block.

Also try changing the Cab and see if someone else's cab get's rid of the 'twang'.

I really want to try this since I both own a KPA and Ethos Classic, judging from Will's reply then I'm thinking that my result wouldn't be that far off from his. However somebody may have an idea on how to combine Ethos and Till's cab in one profile. Is this possible? I'm thinking that maybe the missing link in profiling an overdrive is the cab. Sorry for being noob and lazy :)

Create profiles of the Ethos with and without its internal cab sim then switch the profile's cab to a Tills cab. If you'll be changing cabs you might get better results with the Ethos cab sim and you might get better results direct, best to experiment.

Clean Sense and Distorted Sense cannot improve the sound.
    The first only changes the volume.
    The latter only changes the gain.

Christophe,

after 1.5 years of constantly explaining that Clean Sense and Distorted Sense don't change the sound maybe it's time to give up and and add some bizarre functionality to these features. Maybe as these features are adjusted they take on random behaviors - then people will say "I turned the Clean Sense to 4 and got this really great auto-wah sound, then turned Distorted Sence to -4 and it sounded like a treble booster combined with a phaser'.

I was looking into getting some Atomic CLRs. Since I've got the lunchbox with the build-in power amp, would there be any point in getting the active wedge? Are there any advantages/disadvantages with going with a powered version or should I stick with a passive solution?

Perhaps this is an obvious question, but I've searched through the forums and haven't found an answer...

Thanks.

As good as the powerhead is the active CLR has the cab, speaker and amp tuned to work together by Jay Mitchell - that's worth a couple hundred bucks!!!

The toaster format is cool and the power amp in the PowerHead is surprisingly good - I use mine with a XiTone non-powered wedge and prefer it to guitar cabs w/ the cab block off. As far as which is easier for you to tweak - that's something your going to have to experience for yourself. If you do try the KPA, use Kemper's Cabmaker and convert your favorite IRs - having your favorite cabs in the Kemper helps get going with the KPA by having a familiar quality to the tones (there's always time to play with the cabs in the Kemper).

Hey

My kemper will have new user ,i will trade that amazing machine tommorrow. And my question is how ,that new owner can join in this forum and update forum and rig exchance forum. Because i was registered that kemper serial number in here ,whit my own user name and my forum profile in here. Can that new member registered that same kemper serial number twice or how he can do own profile in here? To get latest updates and users rig exchance profiles?

Contact Kemper support using the 'Contact by Email' tab on the Kemper site Support section, give them the email you used to register the KPA - give them the serial number and ask them to un-register the KPA from your account so the new owner can register it.

1. Are you using RME's Total Mix with the Fireface 800?

2. Are you seeing proper levels on your input channels in Total Mix?

3. Are you able to monitor the Kemper through the Fireface 800? Plug headphones or your monitors into the Fireface and set the levels with Total Mix (in Total Mix click on the output channel then raise the levels of the input channels).

4. Are you selecting both Fireface 800 input channels in your DAW (for stereo), or only 1 (giving you mono)?

If you use S/PDIF you will still want to monitor the levels in Total Mix.

I have used the Kemper with a Fireface UFX using the rear inputs and it works great, just make sure you have the Fireface inputs configured correctly in RME's Total Mix (there is a setup button on each channel that looks like a wrench).

the results were very ordinary and generic

because:

5) Although I know it's against the rules, I have used some *mild* compression on certain Clean & OD profiles to achieve a smoother, more expressive feel without so much distortion (if you try to use too much you will get 'busted' by Mr. Kemper, who is living inside the KPA!)

Why follow rules if those rules lead to 'ordinary and generic' results?

and there is no hard rules.

Yes!

EQ - This is your best friend, Sometimes you can have the "amp in room sound perfect" but when profiling are like, Oh thats not what i hear, - Its because the mics used are creating a new freq range that you are unaware off. or the room is not good at capturing those freq. - so use an EQ where you can, to get rid of any unwanted disturbances and to sweeten to taste (this also takes time)
    -Pre's - of course not forgetting these, some Pre's have added colour again that you are not aware off. - a good pre will be transparent and lets the natural range through successfully.

Yes!

Why focus on 'accurate' or 'neutral' profiles of a mic'd amp when the biggest complaint about such profiles is they don't sound like an 'amp in the room'?

Use EQ, compression, room mics and whatever it takes to get to get a profile that sounds like YOU want and not what your mic captures.

In the mean time we had the chance to make a complete A/B comparison. We had a brand new Profiler Rack version with 1.60, and a white Profiler Head from December 2011 (first series) mixed and played through Genelec studio speakers. We used an A/B switch to feed the guitar to either the one or the other Profiler. That is the optimum setup for an A/B test of firmware versions.
    We tested for more than two hours. The result: Both units sounded exactly the same.

CK, Thanks for confirming the new Profiler Rack sounds the same as the Profiler Head.