Posts by JeffTD

As I said on the Sneap forum, this pack rules. Easily one of the best metal packs out there and I record this type of music for a living.

An SM57 placed where the dustcap meets the cone on a V30, about an inch off the grill, has always worked great for me.

*edit*: on axis, every time. I do the same with Greenback speakers. Absolutely hate anything Eminence and G12T75s have always sounded particularly awful, especially when micd up.

paults, it has nothing to do with my browser settings and I don't run any internet security software other than OS X. I've tried it on multiple machines with multiple browsers, and other people have posted on here with the exact same issue.

The site simply does not remember login information like it claims to. It does not keep me logged in when I tell it to and it won't remember my username/password as an autofill.

On a similar note, it seems the quote function on the forum is completely broken for me the last few days? Frustrating as hell.

*Edit* the quick reply function is also broken.

If the site would just allow me to stay signed in like it should when I check that box, I'd be MUCH happier. Having to type in my username/password every time I want to download a rig (autofill disabled too, highly frustrating) is a pain in the ass to say the least.

I'm rarely on this forum much anymore, a friend directed me to this quote.

Oh, and there are no samples for the Metalpack (yet) - Somone was going to get them done for me but bailed. (Im not a metal player) so I can do them im afraid. - but i'll find someone soon enough I hope.

Yeah, that was me - I have to apologize for having 'bailed;' after the metal packs were finished I got caught up producing actual records and the thing just totally slipped my mind.

That said, if I'm perfectly honest, the more I return to the metal pack, the more and more dissatisfied I am with it. I know I was relatively stoked on it in the beginning, but I think a lot of the things I had suggested to be done that weren't done eventually caught up with the 'newness' factor and left me dissatisfied when I tried them out in mixes.

It might be a function/side-effect of your anti-virus software or other spyware removal tool. My anti-spyware tool kept wiping out the cookies that remembeered my logins.

I don't use any kind of anti-virus or spyware tools; this has been discussed before and is an issue on Kemper's end for their website. It does it to me, too, and it's HIGHLY frustrating as this is the only site it happens on.

Where is the difference?
    I can definetely see the pain in the ass, but how would it be more convenient by having your unit sent to a service center for more than two weeks for an upgrade?
    We will be checking the date of purchase in any case.

The news about having to send it in pissed me off, if I'm honest, but it would have been better than risking 10% loss to eBay and then trusting USPS/FedEx/UPS, all of whom have destroyed VERY expensive amps/audio gear that I've shipped before, to get it there before being able to order the new one.

I just don't understand why Kemper can't offer a self-installed module like the Camplifier; what are they doing differently that allows them to sell the end user a poweramp to install themselves?

I get why this is happening but that doesn't change the fact that it's a HUGE pain in the ass. I purchased my KPA second hand - do I still get a discount? How do I prove I purchased it before the powered versions were available?

Not only that, but I have to deal with selling my KPA (waiting for someone to purchase + shipping time to make sure they get it, risks that the courier might break it in transit and I'll have to refund the buyer out of pocket, eBay takes 10% after fees, etc) and then pay full price for another, with a delay between? I have deadlines to meet and schedules to keep; I can't just send my unit out for 2 weeks because the company lacked foresight in designing it.

I'll be going with a Camplifier or Magnum 44 because of this; really frustrated that it took people on the forum asking specifically about it for us to hear about it.

I'll counter there is no amp/preamp that can be captured more accurately on a recording than it can be profiled.

I may not be able to get it right, someone else might not, but that's based on the profiler's inventory or microphones, ability to place them, as well as ability to physically place the speaker in a room that is well chosen for the task.

And, if "the box that must not be named" can be successfully profiled over and over again, getting any other "ampless" processor right would largely be matter of level matching and refining.

I would've said that 2 weeks ago, but after trying on three different days with three different instruments in three places, I can't get the Sansamp RBI to sound like anything but shit when profiled by the KPA.

Wondering if we can maybe start compiling a list of amps/rigs that people have found to be unprofileable. Had the first huge moment of disappointment in my KPA this past week when I tried to profile a Sansamp RBI rack unit and found that it could get nowhere near close to the original box regardless of what settings I tried or hookup methods I used - the Kemper just sounded absolutely horrible next to the RBI.

What else have you guys found to just not be profileable?

Really looking forward to that. Perhaps it would be possible to have each setup with a "raw" and a "processed" rig variant, with the "processed" sounding a little more mix friendly (using studio eq), while the raw sound would be nicer for just playing along.

There really isn't a difference between the 'raw' and 'mixed' sound, and I'm sure Lasse will back me up on that. People have this romantic notion of "studio magic" being applied to guitar amps; this is not the real case, and definitely not with Lasse. I'm willing to bet he's got a few records out there with literally nothing but a high and low pass on the guitar tracks.

Can't say it was my playing, will say I used a Transient Designer on the DI's to get some more pick attack though! If I were tracking I would've had the guys pick a lot harder and I'm not sure exactly what pickups they were running.

Anyways, It's a personal 5150+808 profile for the rhythms but with a cabinet from Andy44's 6505 package (non-Producers Pack) on the rhythms and the Twin/JCM800 are available as part of Andy44's KPA-official rig pack, but again with that 6505 cab. Bass stuff was a personal Krank and Sansamp profile, free-download from TheAmpFactory's website for the Ampeg. Have lately been using the Sansamp pre with the Ampeg cab with great results, too!