Posts by greenblob

I might be in the minority here, and understand it's far from best practice (actually not even advisable at all), but personally have no concerns using a minor beta update of a previous proven stable firmware for live use (5.5.2 stable compared to 5.6.2 Beta for example) after we've done a run through with it at practice.

I wouldn't however use a brand new major fw beta revision (if a 6.0.0 Beta for example was available) until it was proven stable and released as a new OS. That could get ugly!

Any complex software has potential to crash, but the guys at Kemper seem to have a great track record implementing new minor revision features without totally sinking the ship.

Still loving the Spring Verb beta. I wasnt one of the guys howling at the moon for that effect to be added, but now its here - I'm using it a bunch! Very cool!

I have a few wireless bridges here. I might give the com's a try just for fun. I doubt the ethernect connected midi protocol will work through the the wifi hop without some kind of smart middle man in between translating it all, but would be fun to test to see where it falls down.

We've been using the same 20 Eneloop Pro AA rechargable batteries to power all our wireless stuff for well over a year and they are amazing. Quick to charge and long lasting. As far as rechargeable batteries go, I highly recommend them.

I do wonder when the wireless stuff is going to really struggle with the increasingly crammed airwaves. We use a mix of 2.4 ghz wifi, 5ghz wifi and UHF radio for all our wireless stuff each show, and things are usually fine unscanned before soundcheck, but as soon as the audience files in with each person carrying a phone in there pocket it's a whole new ball game. Pilot tones and network scanners work well to find nice holes, but going to be interesting in the coming years.

All that said, i love wireless stuff. So much easier to put on an engaging show when anyone in the band can wander down to the floor and change the classic visual dynamic the audience is expecting.

I had the wah doing exaclty what you describe for a few weeks. I have wah locked in the "B" slot, set to activate on movement and changing expression pedals, using different TRS patch cables or setting the input on the Remote didn't help kill the occasional ghost. I have a video of it happening to me at a gig and it's never a welcome event (thought it was stage vibration possibly moving the pedal slightly, but then also happens when practicing at home with headphones). When it was being particularly troublesome I could catch it in the calibration menu. The bar would slowly creep up to about quarter of the way then creep back down. The whole event only lasts about 2 seconds. Put an ohm meter on all my expression pedals and shook the crap out of them. Reading was stable. I ended up opening the kpa remote and cleaning all the 1/4 jacks with contact cleaner. Seemed to help cut the event down, but still happens occasionally.

I just live with it now.

I do wish there was a bit more adjustment/configuration in the kempers expression pedal calibration for the user to set a threshold of what the "bypass at stop" command actually is. Epic slow solos sound a bit wacky when you are bending a long note without moving the expression pedal for a quarter of a second (that classic "cocked wah" bend sound), and the kpa decides for you that you dont want the wah effect anymore. Bendy wah solo drama ruined! A threshold may also help diagnose/control ghost activation issues we are talking about.

I've loosely thought about trying to convert my kpa remote to wireless but havnt sat down and put a real plan together. Mostly just for fun and to screw around (used to be an electrical engineer so I dork out on side projects like that), but I't could amount to something oneday. Was thinking a rechargeable self contained deal with an arduino or similar to do the smarts and be stuffed inside the Remote itself, with a dirt cheap wifi access point or something on the kpa's end... obvious flaws in that plan, but cool to ponder.

Anyway.. on the bigger topic of full wireless, I can see a benefit of bluetooth existing for audio on devices like the Kemper (KPA sounds great through a good home stereo btw. I run like that to practice at home in pinch, and it's suprisingly awesome ) so BT or other connectivity may be convenient to some for that. I'd use it

Wireless mains voltage power everywhere? Nope. Cant see that being a thing for a long long time, but maybe eventually, way down the road. I'd hold onto those extension cables and power strips for a bit longer just to be safe though

Lots of killer demos of the Beta spring reverb, but thought I'd throw one up in a full live band setting. The spring sounds pretty damn legit to me. This is from last night and the song kinda shows it well with lots of single stabs with a pretty clean tone etc.

I don't use any external effects anymore. No need. Everything is Kemper (bass too!) and it seems to work well.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Our band has been using this core setup for awhile as our live rig and it's never failed us. Kempers are used for Guitar and Bass. Rack mixer runs all our IEM mixes and houses all the wireless mic receivers (bottom set of antenna) and IEM transmitters (top set of antenna) etc for the entire band. Looks a bit messy with all the FOH snake feeds just slapped in the front mounted splitter/patch bay, but the rack is normally tucked out of sight anyway, is super quick to setup and tear down each night (well under 10mins) and solid as a rock. The mixer rack can be picked up by one person to throw in a vehicle - but the addition of the roller deck underneath was a bit of a revelation :D

Could always add more things (antenna combiners were looked at) as the 10U rack has loads of empty space in the back but it seems to work well as is.

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/0VDla4p.jpg]

:P

Like many people here I went a bit crazy when i first got my KPA and bought loads of stuff. Nowdays though, I find myself turning the knobs inside profiles I already have to head towards a tone that's needed.

I'm the first to admit I used to scroll through seemingly endless profiles to find a tone rather than doing the classic tone shaping adjustments of an amp profile that already sounded solid (amp eq, gain tweaks, git volume etc etc)...

The temptation to keep trying new ritzy named amps that are just a mouse click or a flick of the browse knob away is still super strong - but it can kinda feel like i'm flicking through countless good channels on the tv , instead of digging in and enjoying a movie :)

Hey bud ive been using IEM's for around 6 years now and they will take your playing live experience to another level. At present ive been using 64 audio 6 driver per side ones but have just landed an endorsement deal with Cosmic Ears so am moving to their 6 driver model.

64 Audio A6's here too and love 'em! Please let us know of your thoughts on the the Cosmic set when you get them, and congrats on the new endorsement!

If possible i would find a dealer so you can try some models out, but i recommend getting as many drivers as you can possibly afford.

Agreed. IMO multiple drivers really do make a huge difference, especially for separation/performance monitoring

For in ears I use the Shure SE215 that are very good for the price and get very good reviews. They are my first in ears so I don´t have anything to compare to.

The Shure SE215's are a pretty safe and reliable all rounder. They get the job done, sound pretty good doing it, and wont totally break the bank (or your heart if you lose them). Good recommendation! They are what I was first using before diving into custom molds and multiple drivers.

No hands on experience with the Gear4Music IEM transmitter/receiver, but our band all moved over to IEM's 2yrs or so and have learnt some good lessons since then. I'm sure you've noticed it can get expensive pretty fast if you just go hog wild, so the research your doing is perfect.

The quality of the in ear headphones themselves is paramount! Maybe consider doing the bulk of your research & spending your money here first.

We all run Sennheiser EW300 transmitter/bodypacks (well regarded units, but not cheap), but currently each member of the band uses their own in ear phones. These were basically determined by whatever each members budget at the time allowed (The included phones in the Sennheiser sets we got were pretty awful honestly). The guys with the better quality phones are generally always happy with the IEM sound. The guys with the more basic phones seem to have way more complaints, ask for constant mix tweaks, always tinkering with their body pack volume song to song etc, etc.

A great set of in ear phones serves double duty as an awesome general purpose set to just listen to music etc also, and will last almost forever if treated nicely. Treat yo' self!

As long as you can find a transmitter\receiver that has favorable reviews without loads of people having dropouts or reliability issues, I'd say go for the cheaper option there first and see if you even like performing with IEM's. They really change the experience when you play (can be isolating and suck a lot of the fun out of performing live) so understandably, many dislike using them because of that.

Hopefully someone can weigh in on the Gear4Music tranmitter you mentioned. It's sure is a good price!

With a fair amount of cautious skepticism slapped the beta spring reverb patch in lastnight and... wow. Possibly the best (and most logically tweakable) Spring Reverb effect I've ever heard. From playing with other spring reverb pedals it seems a genuinely convincing Spring is a dog of an effect to get right, and imo this Beta nails it.

It's a keeper! Awesome work Kemper team!

Love a lot about my KPA, but 4 things bug the life out of me:

1 - The tap tempo light that flashes erratically in no particular time. Useless.

2 - Looper control options (even with the Remote) seem to be setup to intentionally deter/stop easy live use. Why?????

3 - When modifying an effect from the scroll menu, the menu starts at the last effect you edited, not at the effect you are currently editing. e.g:. You add a pure boost in the first "A" slot and store it. Great. You have a Delay in the delay slot but want try something different, so you press and hold the Delay button, go to scroll, and the list starts way back at "Pure Boost". Cuss a little under your breath as you crank on the wheel hunting for the delay section.

4 - Unable to store and recall pre-arranged "setlists" in performance mode.

Monkey's advice is solid and should point you to towards a solution, but a couple of other questions come to mind.

Are you using the Zoom interface software? Looks like thats the best way to see what the interfaces inputs is actually seeing, what its input gain really set to, and looks pretty straight forward with output mixes and meters etc. This guy:

[Blocked Image: https://www.zoom.co.jp/sites/d…/files/UAC-2_MixEfX_0.png]Software downloadable from Zoom website here (bottom of page):
    https://www.zoom.co.jp/product…audio-converter#downloads

From you description its sounds like your dB mismatch issue is in the Zoom mixer input/output setting. Hopefully the software gives you a better picture of whats going on?

As a quick work around you could just Normalize the recorded section if you wanted (basically raises the loudest part of the selected clip/s to 0dB). In Reaper, just select the recorded waveform/s then press "Ctrl+Shift+N".

Good luck mate!

Welcome Shane! Im a subscriber to your yt channel and imo something like the kemper seems perfect for you. I'm originally from Chirnside Park in Vic. There are a couple of Melbourneites on here already, but great to have another!

Any chance you guys using the rapidly evolving "Toast Me" editor software (homebrewed by @DamianGreda) could share some online store links of suitable "USB to Midi" cables that are working well with the full sysex data send/receive signals?

I only ask as near the end of the original thread @tijlcarrein mentioned:

"You can use a USB to Midi cable but make sure you are getting a quality branded cable that can transfer FULL SYSEX data.
    Mostly these cheap cables can handle basic mid pretty well, but the Toast ME editor works with SYSEX messages."

It would be massively appreciated to us newcomers to get in on the action. The more people testing this amazing project to it's limits the better! Oh, and thankyou again to the the software creator/s! :thumbup:

I would seriously rethink your set up as this is really difficult to maintain regardless of your set up. Whilst I can imagine some big variations on certain songs, I struggle to believe you really need a different slot for every song for different shows...wow!!

You would never be able to replicate this with a regular set up( valve amp and pedals especially) and I doubt many musicians do this

I re-use a favorite overdriven amp profile for well over half our songs and use that as a base tone. Copy and pasted into most new song banks (imho It just sounds better if there is some underlying tone theme from song to song). It's the use of song specific pitch shifting settings, drastically different and extreme time dependent delays, odd ball synth type overlays/swells, section specific ducking settings etc, etc, that led me down the "arrange as setlist" path.

Many "regular set up" guys end up with a monstrous effects pedalboard to generate multiple pedal driven tones/layers, and are then forced to incorporate an extra and much fancier switching system to control it all if they want to get album like changes on the fly with complex effects layers (midi switching system or smart pedal loop arrays, etc.). Using the KPA and setting up your show as 1 bank per song you can achieve that level of control (and then some) with just the simple Remote.

I agree I could just strip everything down, and go for a simpler and common "live rock band" vibe, but we really try to keep our live songs as close to the recorded versions as possible (with all the studio candy). IMO the Kemper has been a game changer for the average Joe to be able to achieve that. Being the only guitarist in the band makes it a challenge for sure though. :S

Thanks for the advice. Performance mode is super powerful and can be used in some cool ways, but I wish there was a better way to back-up its list locally. I think I'll set up my performances in a "mega list" as you suggested and get away from doing repetitive and nerve-racking complete backup restores. :thumbup: