Posts by lightbox

We're already talking ... but it's difficult of course since Gianfranco hasn't shown what he's working on ... and I'm convinced that I can provide the most open platform anyone can imagine. Nothing beats a Mediawiki in this regard. :) But we'll see. I just keep going full speed and I'm sure you'll be surprised by tomorrow what has been added to the Wiki.

So far Gianfranco doesn't seem to like the idea of taking the content of his PDF to the Wiki, so we have to create all content from scratch. But I'll be very honest. I prefer to create everything from scratch and have it published under Creative Commons Licence so everybody can freely use it for whatever (free) purpose under these open terms. I don't like to be dependent on any kind of copyright when it comes to a community effort.

... I cannot figure out how to create a new page from the main page.

Here we go:

http://www.wikpa.org/Amplifying

It's very simple to create new pages, just by going to the corresponding URL. As soon as you edit this new page, it will be created.
    Two things to notice though:

1. You can't add links to the main navigation on the left side without having administrator status. I will add or change, re-order whatever you guys ask me to. :)
    2. Given you want to create a page "Nice Playing" ... you can't have spaces in URLs, so Mediawiki requires you to go to "Nice_Playing". The underscore is automatically translated to a space character in the actual page name.

PS: I have moved the content you already wrote to the new page (link above)

One of the great features is the direct embedding of media in the pages. I've setup embedding for Soundcloud, Youtube & Vimeo. If you want to see how that looks and works:

http://www.wikpa.org/TestPage

Click "EDIT" on the above page to see how it's embedded. :)

With Soundcloud it's a bit tricky to get the clip ID.
    On a clip's Soundcloud page go to "SHARE" and copy the "WordPress Code". Paste is somewhere and just pick the numerical ID from the code to generate the Wiki embedding.

Cheers,
    Martin

Hi CK, I already got specific and setup an online Wiki last night. It's hosted on my server and it has a proper domain name. I'm in the process of adding content right now, but everybody is welcome to contribute whenever they want.
    wikpa.org
    Would be great to get some support from the mothership, of course. :)

I've also created a forum thread for the wikpa.org project.

Cheers,
    Martin

Quick status info:

Currently the Wiki is setup in a way so that everybody can create and edit content, even unregistered.
    This will likely change as soon as the website gets more widely known and spam bots start to appear.
    That's the reason I kindly ask you guys to register if you like to contribute to this resource. :)
    Read-only access will always be free and open for everyone, of course.
    Thanks Ingolf for already having registered. ;)

Hey gang,

last night I decided to setup an online Wiki where we can collect, organize, publish all kinds of information regarding our beloved KPA.
    It's still in the early stages, of course. But since I can't go to work for another 2 weeks due to my broken foot, I have plenty of time to make it a nice and helpful place for all sorts of information.

wikpa.org

Everyone is welcome and encouraged to contribute to and benefit from this new, open resource!
    This is NOT my personal thing, it's a community effort that lives or dies with what the members of this great community contribute to this resource.
    If you plan to contribute, please register. It's quick and it's free of course.
    If you need help how to contribute to a Wiki, feel free to ask here or contact me, I'll be happy to get you started. :)
    Also, your ideas and requests for content or structure are very welcome.

I haven't been in contact with Kemper yet, but since the Wiki is an open, non-commercial platform, I tend to believe they're happy to see this happen. :)

Read access is open to all visitors of wikpa.org
    Write access is restricted to registered and logged in users.
    Registering is a very quick process but it contains a security question you HAVE TO answer in order to successfully create an account. The answer to this question is: ckemper
    This is to protect our Wiki from automated spam attacks.

Cheers,
    Martin

I've been thinking about setting up and maintaining a real online Wiki with a proper domain name for our beloved KPA and to transfer the content collected by Gianfranco to the online Wiki.

1. I wouldn't mind at all to put a PayPal donation button on Gianfranco's behalf on every single page of this website

2. It would enable all KPA users to contribute to this resource whenever they want.

3. It would probably lower the work load for Gianfranco and it would be an effort under Creative Commons License.

What do you guys think about that?

I think "GAS defeated" means he successfully walked away ... :D

Exactly :D
    And the winner is a brand new Korg Kronos X 88 after I spent 1 week with my MIDI controller keyboard and VST instruments.
    Sometimes I just hate to have a computer running when I make music.
    So it looks like I was talking about "Guitar Addicted Shopping" because I bought some more gear anyway.

BTW, there are two different displays used for the toaster version. One is rather blue, the other one is rather green. I first thought the blueish version is for the white version only, but then I got the same display also in one of my black toasters. I prefer the blueish display over the other one.

This is not true, you probably just had different white balance values.
    See SYSTEM - Page 1/9 "White Balance". You can easily change from green to blue and back. ;)

1. Updates & Rigs
    Yes, you have to format your USB pen drive in the KPA first. This process will generate all necessary folders automatically. Then you have to copy the new rigs to the "Shared" folder on the pen drive. When you connect the pen drive to the KPA, it will show you a menu option "External" and you can import all the rigs from the pen drive. You can't select individual rigs from that folder. The KPA always imports all new rigs in this folder.
    After you download a firmware update, you unzip the file and you copy the file "kaos.bin" to the "OS Update" folder. As soon as you connect the pen drive to the KPA it will notify you that there's a firmware update and you can install it.

2. Librarian
    I hope that we will get USB connectivity but it doesn't have to. It's possible to do that through bi-directional MIDI connection as well. We'll see what CK comes up with. :)

One more Thomann story to add:

Yesterday (Thursday) I ordered and paid a Korg Kronos X 88 keyboard at Thomann and I called them to make sure that I get it by Saturday. I was willing to pay extra, no matter what.
    Today it turned out that it will not arrive on Saturday because the keyboard is to big and heavy for DHL shipping. So they picked UPS but they don't bring parcel on Saturdays.
    Wow, what a disappointment for me that I won't have my new keyboard for the weekend. Without me asking for something, they offered me (as I'm a very good client) a totally unexpected 5% refund on my total order's value.

Still not happy that I won't have the keyboard before monday, but the way Thomann treated me as a customer and how their support staff bent over backwards to help makes it quite a bit easier.

Cheers,
    Martin

I may be way off base, but wouldn't using a guitar cab defeat the purpose of the profiled amps in the Kemper? How is the profile you're using going to be affected by the cab you're running through? I thought that is the reason for using FRFR's, so the profile sounds like the original. ?(

You're right, but I think paults tried to make a point in telling you about the difference between studio/home speakers and PA speakers, just like I did in my post. There are FRFR speakers specifically made for PA purposes and they have more power, much harder surrounding and diaphragm, 10" or even 12" diameter. They can move much more air and can easily give you a decent punch in the stomach while playing loud. You won't get this punch with small studio monitors. If you don't miss this kind of physical punch while playing you might be very happy with these M-Audio speakers. You'll have to try. :)

I listened to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qs4arEelwM
    through Bose Companion 3 computer speakers and I'd be perfectly happy playing and getting this tone.

Then you should be fine with your M-Audio speakers. :)

Cheers,
    Martin

If you've been playing real tube amps all of your life and you're used to have guitar cabinets and some power behind these cabinets ... well, you might be disappointed with these small speakers. They simply don't move much air and their surround and diaphragm might be to soft to give that tough response you're used to get from guitar cabinets. All I can say: If you're not satisfied with the combination of KPA and your M-Audio BX8 speakers ... it's not the KPA that you don't like. ;)

Cheers,
    Martin