Posts by KD

I have just discovered these profiles, I have been going through the free ones and reading the description. They are extremely dynamic and touch sensitive, sounds killer! I have also learned a lot about different stomp boxes in the process.

I recorded this one with the JJ + BB BD+57 2 profile:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Keep up the amazing profiling work! :D

You can download one free rig or buy the full stack (18 Rigs) here: http://www.rigbusters.com/product/wessextimmystack/

This link does not work for me.

Yes it's very close to the original tone, well done & also in the play ( mostlty pickless if I hear well ?)

Yes that's right, even though I believe Sco plays with a pick most of the time - I completely skipped it for this track. I did it because I find that if I play with a pick, I will easily fall back into my memorized patterns and this makes the improvisation kinda boring. I have to say though that towards the end of the video I fell into that trap anyway...

Thanks!

It´s a minor mode: Aeolian, mixed up with some chromatics...

Nice ;)

You are right, the minor scale is my favorite. Thanks!

I like the way you play! Bravo!

Thanks for the awesome comment Rothko! :D

very melodic! - I dig this a lot, bits of Knofler in also, nice to not hear the Pentatonic for a change :)

Mixolidyn? (or however its spelt)

hehe it's funny you say this - because my approach here was to think pentatonics, but try to avoid those notes.

So throughout the solo I am trying to play everything but pentatonics (and thereby playing mixolydian tonality as you said, among others). Of course when things start to go out of hand I gravitate back towards the safe notes. But I think this is a cool approach if you don't want to be learning new scales, but still try some "out" sounding licks.

Thanks for the great comment Andy!

In my search for new tones, I wanted to see if I could get close to John Scofield's super expressive and dynamic sound.

I think Sco's amp of choice is an AC 30, but I settled for the AFF2-63Prince Clean4 from the "fentastic" pack. I used both a lead booster and treble booster with the -5 ducking value.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

(start from 00:10 to hear the lead sound in action)

To be honest I am not sure how close I am sound wise, but my main goal was to find a sound that would inspire me to [try to] emulate his playing style.

Thanks for watching!

Also worth noting, is that I used the same profile for both bass and guitar. Has anyone tried this? It somehow made sense.

No opinions about this?

I have just tried it with a clean fender profile for a jazzier track, and I think it worked there as well. It seems that using the same profile for both bass guitar and guitar will put the two instruments in their corresponding place in the mix, without too much frequency overlapping.

I am a sucker for the Rig Exchange, somehow it seems these profiles are less geared towards sounding huge on their own - as opposed to working in a mix. There are obviously lots of exceptions though ;)

Anyhow, I am now also a sucker for Sinmix profiles' - and I have never been this happy with a metal mix of mine.

Also worth noting, is that I used the same profile for both bass and guitar. Has anyone tried this? It somehow made sense.

I should also say I did not tweak the profile at all, with the exception of lowering treble with 0.1 for guitar and lowering gain quite a bit for bass. I used an LTD guitar with a JB pickup.

So what are you wating for, go grab "TheBeast sm57_TS_1" now, if you haven't already! ;)

Thanks for watching.

people often expect too much from a profile or a raw guitar tone.
    give Eric Clapton a Roland Cube and you will want to have that tone also ^^

This!

The ada/Nuno profile sounds awesome to me. But to really get 'there' I would probably need Nuno's fingers and Wagener's mixing magic.

I don't want to be 'there' though, I like being 'here' and for that purpose this profile is awesome.

But I guess this goes to show we already have more than enough awesome profiles, for KPA owners the weakest link will never the guitar sound.

For me, HPFing the send before it hits the reverb helps to filter out those frequencies that would muddy up the mix once processed, but doesn't thin out the sound of the reverb as much as it would if you filtered after the reverb (ie the dreaded telephone effect). EQing post reverb for me is to take out any annoying frequencies or any excessive masking.

Cheers,
    Sam

Yeah now that I think about it - it makes much more sense to EQ before. And avoid EQ after if possible, not to mess with the reverb in vain. Thanks I will try this - feels like this will be an improvement.

ps a good tip for applying nice reverb tails for sustain without pushing the instrument back in the mix is to increase the pre-delay and (if possible) reduce the early reflections.

Cheers,
    Sam

Very good point here as well. I usually apply a generic 20ms pre-delay for reverbs. But especially for the bigger ones it would make sense to experiment with longer pr-delay, to avoid muddiness.

I agree with pretty much everything said above. Nothing screams that theres a problem, but you can tell that with a little more tweaking it would really sound awesome. Great playing as well. Nice phrases and some interesting techniques in there.

Thanks Bobbo, and please keep up the fantastic work with your reverb/delay presets - I use them regularly! :thumbup:

Ok interesting - so you are hearing exactly what I wanted to achieve. Last time I listened to the mix on studio monitors, the guitar sounded the way I wanted (but as mentioned, I needed to do some cutting in the backing track).

But if I were to look at it from a producers perspective, I would say I did the wrong thing (when removing midrange from all other instruments in order to make space for the guitar). But from a guitarist perspective, this seems to be the poor man's way to get that thick tone through...

Thanks for the great comment! :D

Yes exactly. I do EQ them and just as with the guitar sound in general, it's very tempting to cut away too much of the reverb low end...

I have done that many times and it just takes away the warmth of the verbs (if you overdo it).

Thanks for the awesome feedback guys! :D

Yes the backing track is not mine so I just had a stereo file to work with. In this case I seem to get better results with multiband compressor rather than EQ.

In spite of many years of trial and error I feel like a mixing noob so any advice is appreciated.

Michael - you are spot on with the high frequency content of the backing, that is something I will keep in mind for the next track.

Another reason the guitar might not feel in front is probably because I am running it through 3 delay sends and 2 reverbs (so what I'm a guitarist :D ).

If I were mixing guitar for a solo spot I would have done things differently - but since this is a 5 minute jam thing I wanted a bigger sound.

In my search for the ultimate lead tone I turned to R.U.Serious' amazing Bogner Shiva lead profile.

However something has been bugging me in my quest. I find that the warm and juicy mid range frequencies needed for the lead tones I hear in my head, reside in the ~400-800K region. So that's where my aim is.

Typically after a week of tone tweaking I will record the solo I had in mind. All fine up to this point.

But THEN - when mixing.. The first thing I will realize is that the lower midrage I worked so hard for, eats up precious space in the mix. So instinctively I will cut a lot of it away from the lead guitar track :S

But this time around - I did differently and I slapped on a multiband compressor on the backing track to tame the low midrange region. So I let the lead guitar take up a lot of space in the mix, and I think this can be well heard in the crunchy string rakes in this video. In my world guitarists should always get the last word. :thumbup:

I would be really grateful for feedback here. And what are your tricks to preserve midrange warmth without compromising other instruments in the mix?

edit:
    I got the request to share the rig, so here it is:https://drive.google.com/file/…Ry4ZcRG42cmN6V2xiUU0/view
    You might want to try it with a humbucker guitar, I used both bridge and neck pickups with the S-1 switch engaged.

I hope you enjoy my improvisation:

Hahaha, Kristoffer....det var inte igår :)
    Also a Kemper user eh? Niiiiice. Just got mine a month ago. Diggin it severely.

/Kristian N

Kristian....Friedman?! ;) Is that you? Who introduced me to Line6 POD (and other, much more important things). Mr extreme legato?

Man I am getting nostalgic, if you still live in Stockholm we should meet up! Everyone is on the Kemper forums, it's amazing!

Thanks guys!! :D Btw where are the girls? I think we need more chest hair here, but fear not I am cultivating mine as we speak.

Everyone (but my wife) agrees this kinda chest hair is like a monster magnet for chicks. :thumbup:

...what were you thinking :?::!:

For every new profile I discover, I am thinking "this is it" - it can't get any better than this. Well it turns out, it can.

Today I explored Johnny Navarro's amazing 'JN 59 Fender Bassma' profile, which can be found on the rig exchange. I know I have nagged about this before, but I just cannot grasp how the profiler can be this flexible/dynamic. It is now officially possible to play guitar non-stop. :thumbup:

I used the middle/neck 'in between' pick up position, with both tone and volume knobs a bit rolled down. The different tones throughout the video are achieved solely by variation of picking strength.

Compare the intro (where I fingerpick à la Mark Knopfler) with the section at 01:05 where I use heavy pick strikes. Again, I did not touch volume pot or anything like that throughout the solo.

I am playing over a Gary Moore-ish style backing track, I hope you enjoy it!