Posts by OhG

The Kemper gives you the miced amp sound, but you can get close to the amp in the room sound using Pure Cabinet. BTW, how high you dial this is personal. Don't use a specific number just cause others are suggesting it. Use your ears and dial it the way YOU like it.

I know. I mentioned 4.0 because it is where it sounds good to me (although, that varies depending on which rig I'm using), and the 4.0 was kind of a joke because of how badly everyone is waiting for firmware release 4.0 to come out right now. (c:

I've tried Pure Cab and Definition a lot. The EQ tips you mentioned above are something I'll try next.

A lot of this "tone hunting" is definitely on me to learn more about EQ. In the past with tube amps, I never really needed to understand EQ in great depth. It was always just "turn the mid knob up" or "turn the bass knob down" until it sounded right. So I know a lot of the questions I ask are very "newb-ish". But even though I've been playing professionally for over 20 years, a lot of it is still new to me. The forum has been a great resource!

Give Pure Cab a whirl, too. I've read reports that it works on those ice pick highs, though with it full on, you might need to dial some treble/presence back in apparently.

I've messed around with Pure Cab and Definition the most. Right now, I've got Pure Cab set to 4.0 because I don't want to overdo it, plus, 4.0 is kind of a hot topic number right now. (c:

Does anyone have a recommended setting for moderately high gain lead tones? As much as I HATE to use this example, Kirk Hammett type of lead tones? I know he's always been a Crybaby rack guy. But even in the past with my Crybaby, it seems like any time I use my wah on the high E and B strings, around 14th fret and up, the effect is practically gone.

I understand that becomes more normal the higher up you go and the more gain you have, and adding in mids to the EQ will help a little. So I'm just looking for what you all have found to do the best job in that register.

Am I correct in assuming that any expression pedal should work fine? For example, I read somewhere on this forum, that the only difference between Mission EP1-KP and the Mission SP1 pedal is the fact that the KP1 has the switch in it. Everything else is just marketing hype.

So if I ordered 3 Mission SP1 pedals and just connected each pedal to the KPA controller with a single TRS cable, I should be able to use all 3 the way I want, correct (wah, volume and expression)? I'd just set the wah to auto-on, so the lack of a footswitch wouldn't be a big deal.

Am I missing something, or is there a reason to go with the Mission EP1-KP (or another pedal)?

One of the most powerful simple musical edits that I found to be a quick fix for most profiles is the CAB edit menu. The HIGH frequency shift and the Low frequency shift. Moving the HF shift slightly to the left to change the resonance of the Cab works wonders. Same goes for the low shift, same direction . Not sure if someone mentioned that but you'll be surprised how musical most of the Kemper edits are, even at max settings they seem useful.
    good luck, but judging from what I heard in your video, you're pretty close. It sounds to me that you just need to get rid of some of the hair (no pun intended) that's why I suggest the HIGH shift in the cab. The low shift also seems to clear some of the mud based on my experience.

Thanks! I'll try that too. These are the types of tips I need because coming from a lifetime of using tube amps, I've never really had any need to learn about all these things (high shift, low shift). I've always just been a plug in and play kind of player.

And thanks for the sound comment. The sound in the video is really good, and I'd be totally satisfied if that was the end result live. It is closer now today than it was yesterday. Hopefully with these suggestions that I got today, it'll get me to where I need to be.

I always shut my monitor off first (habit). That's what I figured would be the case. But I wanted to ask just in case there was some crazy cool feature I didn't know about. I've already run into a few nice surprises with the Kemper that made me say "no way!", so I wouldn't have put it past CK to have found some genius way to magically get rid of the pop. LOL

Hey guys,

I'm using the Kemper controller and want to hook up an individual pedal for wah, volume and expression. I have a Mission EP1-TC right now, and I tried hooking that up today using a standard guitar cable from the pedal to the controller. It didn't work. I swapped the TS cable for a TRS cable, and it worked. Do all pedals hooked up to the Kemper Controller need to be done via TRS cables? Or does it depend on the type of pedal I'm using?

Ideally, I'd like to have 3 identical Mission pedals (all in the Kemper green color). But I don't need any of them to have the switches like the Mission EP1-KP pedal because I can just set them all to be active when in motion. And if possible, it'd be nice to be able to use just TS cables with them since I can make those with my George L's stuff. I like those because they take up less room (the only TRS cables I have access to are straight cables as opposed to the right-angled TS cables, which take up less room on the pedalboard).

Any suggestions?

I've got a general question. If I'm at a gig and have everything all plugged into the Kemper and PA, if I turn the Kemper on, will that cause a loud "pop" over the PA if the channel isn't muted? Same question with shutting down. If my channel on the PA isn't muted, and I turn the PA off, will it cause a loud "pop"? My assumption is yes, it will. But I wanted to check and see if there was a way around it because we use so many different PA systems and sound guys, I'm not sure what they do in terms of shutting down their board as soon as gigs are over, etc.

I'm so used to tube amps that at the end of every gig, the first thing I do after I set my guitar down is turn the amp off. With a tube amp, it doesn't affect the front of house. But I'm guessing I won't be able to do that with the Kemper until after the sound guy has either muted the channel (and the monitors), or shut the amps down, correct?

Dumb question, I know. But I'd rather ask here than scare the life out of everyone at the end of the night when I turn my Kemper off and it sounds like a gunshot in the club.

I've found that a lot of medium to high gain profiles sound much better to me if I run a studio EQ in the X slot and drop the high cut down to anywhere from 4kHz to 7kHz (depending on the profile). The frequency of the cut also changes from headphones to studio monitors to powered PA monitors (QSC K10s in my case).

Cool. I'll give that a shot. I haven't done anything like adding in a 2nd EQ and tweaking yet. So that'll likely be one of the next things I try.

have you tried listening to a CD you know and love over the monitor?
    how did this compare to your usual listening experience?

I haven't tried that yet. I'll give that a go next time I sit down with it. I'm getting closer. I think in general, it's just taking a lot more tweaking than I expected. I was mistakenly under the wrong impression that most commercial rigs are just ready to go with very little tweaking. But I'm getting closer.

The only headphones I have are Bose QC15s. They're great for noise cancelation (which is why I bought them), but not for audio. And I don't want to go out and spend more money at this point just to check on the sound (especially since I never use the Kemper with headphones - it's all live use).

The room to me is irrelevant because I've got my regular live rig set up in that same room, and it sounds good in the same room. It does accentuate the higher frequencies like you mentioned, but it does the same thing for both rigs. So to me, that's a wash.

I spent a decent amount of the day today tweaking a few profiles and going back and forth between my Mesa rig and the Kemper rig trying to get them to sound similar. I know the Kemper is going to always sound different because of the way the profiles are made (mic'd sound vs sound of a guitar cab). The thing I'm struggling most isn't so much the over-saturation, but finding a way to reduce the ice-pick kind of highs when solo'ing on the higher end of the fretboard. I know that's an EQ adjustment that needs to be made, I just need to figure out which frequencies to dial out. I'm not knowledgable enough in that area to know just by listening what frequencies to dial out. So it's just something I've got to sit with more.

I'm getting there. Like I said, I'm NOT giving up on this thing. I'm too stubborn to go back on it at this point! haha

The solution came from the man I appreciate most for his professionalism and fantastic ears M.Waggener.In his pack is hidden a gemstone I never saw first.All the profiles have the correspondent mp3 recorded (that was all I needed a point zero recorded profile).I used those profiles for tweak and I reached very close results.

I'm not totally sure I understand what you mean. Can you elaborate on the mp3 piece of this? I'm a little hesitant to buy more commercial profiles right now because I've already tried so many different ones and haven't really found what I'm looking for yet.

To answer everyone's questions from above:

• The DXR15 is on the floor in wedge position. Everything on the back of the monitor is switched to flat and off.
    • Clean sense and Distortion sense are both on zero
    • "Monitor Cab Off" is unchecked, so the cab feature is on
    • I've already done a reset on the unit. It was one of the first things I did after trying it for the first time because I heard a bunch of people saying that'd help. So I don't know that doing it again would help. And if it did, that would actually not be a good sign, having to reset it twice in a month.
    • Inputs and outputs are not clipping

I'm hoping to have a lot of time to sit with it tomorrow. Wife and daughter will be out of the house and I'm going to really put some more time into this and start tweaking more. I'm assuming tweaking will help a lot. I was just thinking it wasn't a good sign to have gone through over 100 commercial profiles and have only found 1-2 medium to high gain profiles that sounded decent from the beginning. I'm not giving up on this though! This will be my Everest! (c:

One thing that I will add, auditioning profile after profile is never rewarding for me. Each one's sonic difference sounds odd to my ear, like a weird comb filter/fakeness that I dislike. Even now, if I go back to one of my favourite profiles after something else (but similar) it happens. After a few moments, I'm back into it again.

I also never really settled on anything until I tried some stuff from RM. It's much easier to try stuff out and move on than with commercial profiles. I found myself coming back to a certain style of amp, over and over again. 80% of my favourited profiles are now of the same amp manufacturer's products. Not naming names, but this make of amp hasn't been on my shopping list (although I owned one years ago and loved it) as my heart has always pulled me towards Mesas, Friedmans or high gain boutique type amps. None of which I terribly enjoyed on the Kemper for long.

i know now what you mean. It's like ear fatigue. At some point, you go through so many profiles you can't tell what actually sounds good anymore.

I have the same guitar and also 4 or 5 of Guido's packs (the Bogner XTC getting the most love). I play at home through a Matrix NL12, which isn't FRFR like the Yamaha, but has an extended range, which seems to suit most "good" profiles. Rest assured, it sounds awesome, if a little nasally on the bridge pickup, but that's more to do with how the pickup is voiced. With my Music Man Luke II, it sounds exactly like Guido's clips.

I'm not sure what's gone wrong for you, but I can only assume it's something in the monitoring chain (or the monitor itself).

Im going to try another guitar and see if that helps.

I also liked what I heard, actually.

Try lowering the definition in the amp section to see if that brings you closer, and tell us about your experience with this.

Will try that tomorrow. Taking a break for the night. Maybe this is why everything I see on YouTube sounds so good to me and then bad in person. I like how these sound in the video as well. Argh!

No, it's definitely not sounding like that in the room. I'd be psyched if that's what it sounded like. The iPhone does a horrible job recording the audio. In the room, you hear a lot of the over saturation and the qualities I mentioned above. The other thing to mention is that each time I paused in the video, I was switching to a different Bogner profile. The last two were the Orange amp.