Posts by Syre

But it doesn't tell the whole truth...it will recreate the same impedance situation to the connected speaker-cabinet...so, if you use another cab (meaning different impedance behavior and interactions between amp and cab) from the one you use to capture the direct out profiles, the sound will not be the same like the real amp would have. It's the real amp's power amp that has it's own impedance behavior with any cab (it's power amp behavior differs, it depends on the cab) and this cannot be copied somehow to a direct profile (yet, at least).

That's what i meant when i said there are still parts of the dummy load or the cab used for profiling in a 'direct amp profile'. Thank you for making this clear.

So maybe this will interest you - only the speakers (differences) :

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Wish he would use two amps, then this could prove how much an amp character is preserved through different speakers. But this way it only proves that speakers sound different.
    By the way, that video kept me from buying rockdrivers a while ago :)

[quote='Syre','http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/18962-OK-Testing-FW-3-0/?postID=213334&#post213334']

Interesting discussion here.
    When you say that with 3.0 the cab took over too much, have you already compared your findings with the automatic separation between amp/cab pre 3.0 (=cabdriver)?

Sure i did. Big improvement. Cabdriver sounded like my V-Amp Pro, somehow modeller-like, didn't work. That's why i worked with direct amp profiles (old style that occupies the cab section) from the beginning.
    As i said, in my perception we have gotten to sound like a real amp now, but the 'original' character thing is something that should be improved IMHO.

One thing i still have to think about is, that my own profile of my rig back with the old 'direct amp profile' sounded very authentic, but the downloaded ones from rig exchange don't. So i not only suspect the amp section of merged profiles to not contain the whole charcacter of an amp, i furthermore have the suspicion that there are still parts in there that get influenced by the cab or the dummy load one uses for profiling. And as we can see in Deadlights posts: If you do your own profiles, they are fine for you.

Hi Joachim,
    I hope i understood you right now. So you say the sound character of the combo you tested got alternated that much by the different cabs you use, that you come to the conclusion, that the cab always has this heavy influence on any amp. That correct?

My experiences are different. When i toured with my metal band in the 90s we most of the time organized 'swap gigs'. Bands came to visit us for a gig, then we visited them for another gig. We practiced cab sharing on these events. That means my rig went through Engl, Mesa, Behringer, Marshall, Laney or whatever cabs. It always just needed a little tweaking to get along and the main character of my amp never got lost. So back then i had the impression that my amp did the main part of the sound and the (good) cabs only colorize a little.
    There where times when i used my rhythm guitarists Engl cab, but that didn't turn my rig into his Engl head.
    Now i use the Kemper and they tell me 'hey sounds like a real mesa' and i must say 'nope, sounds like my marshall with some amp i don't know.'
    Then they tell me 'hey sounds like a soldano' and i have to say 'nope, sounds like you took away the treble a little bit from the wannabe mesa you showed me before.'

Ich fand dies:
    http://www.kemper-amps.com/for…em-with-loading-cab-IR-s/

Angeblich soll Rig Manager das nicht können, du brauchst also einen vom Kemper formatierten USB Stick, dort kannst du optional im 'shared' ordner einen 'cab' ordner eröffnen (oder einfach den 'shared folder' verwenden), die Cabs in den Ordner, wieder in den Kemper, Import Button, rettich.

Soll also funtionieren wie beim Rig-Import. Firmware 3.0.0 hatte teilweise Probleme mit USB Import.

First things that come to my mind:
    - The Kemper profiles in mono, so one return from FSP is too much and maybe causes phase issues.
    - The Mic goes into ch8 on FSP, is it routed from there to output 5 on FSP? Otherwise there's no signal returning to the Kemper, only to the monitors.

I like the vocals. Aggressive and clear, mid to high, long breath, good vibrato. Classic power metal vocals. Although i don't like the hookline too much, the vocals are well done.
    If i had a free wish, I'd ask for a little more aggression and a little less very high vocals, but it also works well the way it is now.

Well, with all due respect Syre. I cannot think of a reliable way (but maybe I did not think hard enough) to verify this steep assertion. A direct comparison (played with common loudness) would make it very hard for my ears to decide. Then there is the question of microphones, A/D transformers, cable lengths, ways of hitting the strings, resonance of the room, number and size of loudspeakers etc. Peter W. from "Musikhochschule Köln" did a very, very thorough comparison between tube amps and kemper (both of them were real when last I looked) when the kpa just hit the market. The waveforms of this comparison are still available and show clear enough the differences between both sound sources. Most people don't have € 100K equipment ready to repeat the test on their own. Even though, to my ears the kpa is not challenged by any other digital device.
    As for now I think that deadlight's statements, who has much more expierience in these matters than I do probably got it right.
    And yes I'd really like to know how this wonder was done. Since this one obviously is a really hard nut to crack that keeps on puzzling me:

Keep on digging.

Joachim

Maybe you're thinking too complicated, no offense :)
    I'm speaking of direct amp profiles. Weihe never touched them, he tested studio profiling when the Kemper was new. There are no such varying factors like different cable lengths etc. in my chain. It's Guitar->direct amp profile->Camplifier->cab. Always the same hardware, in the same room, with the same guitar, same guitarist, same cat (maybe in different position) etc.

Deduction chain:

Fact1: All(!) sounds have way too much high mids with 1960AV.
    Suspects at this point: Guitar, Kemper, Camplifier and Cab.

Fact2: With the behringer cab the high mids are gone, now bass is way too much.
    That rules out the suspects Kemper/guitar/Camplifier, cause they are still in the chain and the overscooped high mids are gone and the bass has come into place.

Which suspect is left? The cab!
    Does that cab have that much high mids with my other amps? No. Is the cab known for it's high mids? Yes.
    Is the Behringer that bass heavy with other amps? No. Is the cab known for beeing bass heavy? Yes.

Next question: Why do these well known characteristics of famous cabs stand out that much with the Kemper?
    My guess: Because the parts in the Amp-simulation that usually keep those frequencies tamed are not there or not working like in the original.
    What would be your guess?

IMHO it's simple to hear. When you know the strong frequencies of your cab and find them coming into effect way more with the Kemper than with your other amps, what else could be the conclusion? That the cab in this case has more influence on the overall sound then with other amps.

I also tend to agree with Deadlights theory, but it does not explain why a Powerball sounds like a Bandit on my system. Maybe some amps sound very close but not that 80s solid state combo and a modern full tube head.

Changing the format tag and still getting results is very rare in the computer world. There were times when some *.rm files still worked when renamed to .mp4, or you could make a script out of a *.txt by changing it to *.com, but those cases are very rare und need similar data formats inside of them. The ending doesn't change format, only the treatment of the format in the outter environment. The Kemper for sure won't have use for an internet streaming format.

I just tested all of Thumas' merged profiles. I used the direct amp section into the Camplifier 360 and guitar cab. The Peavey Bandit (i had one back in the day, great high gain for a solid state combo) sounds like the Soldano, sounds like the Powerball, sounds like the Mesa. Some are more bright, some are more dark, but the distortion characteristics are the same. My Cab (1960AV) seems to totally take over soundwise. High mids everywhere. I know my cab. It has it's V30 character, sure, but with real amps the influence of the amp on the sound is much bigger.
    It does NOT sound bad though. Some nice tubelike high gain sounds are possible.
    Next thing i did is take the Kemper to the basement and use an old Behringer Cab with Jensen Speakers. Same thing: cab totally took over. While the Marshall was high mids everywhere now the sound was bass everywhwere. The cab seperation has clearly improved with FW 3.0, but what's left on the amp side now doesn't give the whole picture of the amp. The cabs dominate the sound more than in the real world.

So up to now there's no digital copy of a tube head sitting on my Cab, but i love to see how we are slowly getting there. It already sounds good. One day the Kemper guys will have it spot on, I'm quite sure about that.

Another thought: While profiling the signal comes from the Kemper. While refining it uses your guitar signal. Things go wrong when the guitar signal comes into the game. So maybe the guitar output or the Input sensitivity of the KPA are part of the cause. Could be a weak batterie in an active pickup system or a pickup output the Kemper can't handle with it's actual settings.