Posts by chu

I mean no offence when I say this (I have done incredibly similar things myself) but how many times have we seen posts where people state they've changed nothing at all only for them to go on to document the opposite in later posts.

Glad you got it sorted though 👍 😀

I'm not a metal player but my baritone has become a very close second to my favourite guitar.

I'll frequently record with it, if only to double track or follow existing parts. I can't think of many better purchases and it would see you through something like this with ease.

I used to sell car parts for minimum wage and people would expect me to be able to troubleshoot and tell them how to fix their cars. All you can hope is Sweetwater is better then the rest and actually pay to train these people. But they probably do not have 12 interfaces at home and years of personal experience with them. One thing about Sweetwater is the sales people are usually there for a long time. That may indicate they are paying them well because they are training them and want them to stay???

Yeah, i hope so. I mean no disrespect to anyone in retail, they're doing a job and I'm just fine with that. My mother is one of the most frequent at asking for advice, she'll literally ask any store worker, as if the 17yr old student working part time in a huge supermarket will know which product is best for her needs.

It's good. I haven't been able to get it changing programs by midi yet (due to the last remaining midi out socket in my setup not allowing pass thru) but hopefully I'll be there soon. I was using an electro harmonix synth 9 which was great but I came to the sy200 for the midi switching, which I don't have yet.....

I am growing to not fully trust Sweetwater anymore. I really dislike my rep there. He is never helpful anymore. I don't know if I don't spend enough money with them these days or what has caused the change. They have missed out on quite a few sales in the past two years because of him not being responsive or not cutting me any deals or not having things in stock. I have taken a lot of business to other places due to that. I wish I knew some place that was trustworthy to get advice from that wasn't just trying to sell me something they have extra stock of.

I've frequented a bunch of different retailers over the years, whether music related or otherwise. My relationship with my rep at the tool supplier where I work is excellent, they know about new tooling, the specs and what parameters to use with it. They're selling thousands of items and are getting feedback constantly as they speak to their customers every week.

But for music gear? Nah, they're not comparable. They're salesmen, not reps. They're not speaking to their customer a week later and asking how they got on with that $1000 interface and are offering a swap because they know you'll be back each week spending thousands. They expect you to buy your gear from multiple sources and are pedalling opinion and looking at targets. I know with stuff such as interfaces you can end up going round in circles but they're things that i would research and decide for myself and then make the jump. I may have misinterpreted your post but I would reconsider your relationship with your retailer.

I agree mate, however you get your thrills is fine by me. The line gets crossed when people try to steer others to suit their own passion.

Persuading someone why Fishman Fluence pickups are an abomination and should be avoided (because of how they are built and do not constitute a real pickup) or lecturing people on how to achieve great tone live (and the finer points or acoustic coupling) when you've no experience playing more than a few notes in your bedroom gets up my nose.

I am also on this pool, very few players actually "play", and in my experience, people who actually care for tone, instead of getting a kemper/axe/line6, they just fall in love with one amp and build its tone around it for a decade or so.

I used to post on another forum, where one of the resident posters was a full gear nerd. From balanced string gauges, custom pickups and fancy wiring/switching, cables, pedals, amps, attenuator and speaker it was analysed to the end of the world. He would guide others down the path that suited his passion best and got angry when things such as Fluence pickups or modelling was compared to 'real' gear. He'd advise people on building pedalboards, the necessity of acoustic coupling with your amp and all sorts of things he believed were essential.

It transpired that for 'reasons' the chap could barely play anything. I mean almost nothing but he justified it that it was all about just playing one glorious note and revelling in the marvellous tone. Fine, if that's your thing but many of us just want to play, to have gear that gets us tone that is good enough. Those tiny details might be noticeable when playing in isolation at home, but when the drums hit and the bass player with a five string bass gets excited, most of it gets lost.

But that's actually when I like it the most. So for me, tone is massively important but also irrelevant. I've found sounds in the Kemper that hold their own everywhere, loud, quiet, headphones or live. I cannot say that about anything else I've tried.

I use a Midi foot controller. It defines what the expression pedal does for each profile. I use just one expression pedal for everything, morph, wah, volume and pitch.

I'm a little confused. I mean no disrespect at all and maybe I don't understand but my take from this is that you wanted it to do something but didn't put in the required time into understanding and configuring how the device functions and have decided to give up.

Most of the points you raise in your first post are dead simple to rectify and are deliberate options in the Kemper.

I honestly believe that the Kemper is way more capable of benefitting you than you think. However it's not for everyone and I understand why you may not want to.

Whilst not aimed at you, I do see a number of posts lamenting the complexity of getting the best from a device such as a Kemper and comparisons are drawn with the simplicity of an amp and pedalboard. But I think that's overlooking the huge learning curve that we all went through with getting our first amp, then adding a pedal. Then adding a few more and resolving power supply issues. The problem with something so powerful as a modern digital device is that you get the full rig all at once, missing the slow growth and gradual learning curve.

yes, Rig Manager has the library function and the editor function however you cannot edit without the Kemper connected.

Would latency really effect this? Ignore the virtual capo part, if you using it as a whammy bar, do we do so whilst picking? It's when you do stuff with a prominent attack, like a choppy riff that I really notice latency. But I don't do that when grabbing the bar, I'm bending something already ringing.

Who knows? I won't be getting one either way, not until it looks like it belongs and also comes down in price.

I use a Famc Liquid Foot midi controller and always use Performance mode unless messing around. I have no midi lag.

I do get some crashes when connected to Rig Manager and using midi switching but I can live with that, especially as my midi commands also change lighting, mixer and outboard gear too.

Boogie cab? As in a passive guitar cabinet? You need an amplified signal so either a separate power amp or a powered version of the Kemper ie Power Head or Power Rack.

You then connect the red speaker output to the cab.

For the Bluetooth, we'll, the Kemper has quite a hot output. You can use the main outputs and then select -12 dB in the output menu.

I don't know what to say really, but all of my initial favourite profiles failed with a band and on recordings. It took a while to find stuff that satisfied everything and definitely made me reconsider my ability to identify good tone. Volume definitely plays a part as does context but I think that for a number of years before my Kemper, I only played decent to very decent amps. They usually sounded great with everything set to noon and you could go from there but didn't really change much; almost as if the designer had deliberately made it to make nothing but good sounds.

But the Kemper has many more variables based on the monitors used and capture technique and can easily sound bad. But, the good stuff is definitely in there!!

Absolutely, i certainly wasn't saying that you shouldn't use it on solos, only suggesting that it wouldn't necessarily fatten up a lead like the Roeffel asked.

Should this also be used to fatten up leads ? make them sound les thin ?

Raf

You could try it and see how it works out. But I can't think of a time where I would double track a traditional solo type lead though. Despite the immediate wow factor when double tracking stuff, there are often downsides and that can be punchiness. Like a good, punchy, fat vocal, lead guitar often has the most impact when mono (maybe some stereo effects such as delay though). Double tracking and panning have the effect of pushing it away, creating space and air.

I would be most likely to use it for massive sounding riffs, chords and cleans.