Posts by chu

I run in stereo as I use IEMs and find a mono mix incredibly uninspiring. However, FOH is whatever the sound man chooses.

If I'm playing as a party band, the purpose is to please the customer therefore playing the right songs well, creating a good ambience and being the right volume is everything.

If I'm playing in my originals band, keeping it tight, energetic and clear is everything.

Stereo guitar just isn't a factor for me.

I don't find that stereo guitar effects serve anything but my own needs, certainly not to 90% of the listeners. I've even moved away from extensive use of stereo guitar tracking in recordings (i used to double track most guitars and use stereo delays more than mono). Sure, it sounds amazing on headphones but I think it often detracts in less than ideal listening positions. Not that i don't use it, just a lot less. My mixes sound less exciting on headphones now but I think they sound way punchier and clearer.

I had the gen - 2 for a while. It did a very nice job with ac sim, way better than the Kemper (sorry guys!) and the 12-string, banjo, and sitar sounded really good. What did NOT sound good was using this for rock and roll, not at all. That's why I sold mine after just a month tinkering around with it. I also hated the high action and thick strings they insisted you did not change.

I had a 1st generation Variax built into a G&L Tele-type guitar. I thought that the basic models, LP, Strat, FilterTron and acoustic models were really usable. In particular, the acoustic models sounded much better than the sound of my acoustic guitars DI.

But i typically kept it on Tele models as I discovered that there's more than the sound of a guitar when it comes to my playing. If it feels like a Tele, I really don't want it to sound like a Les Paul.

Sure, it's great for a few moments when you absolutely must have a certain tone but i really don't need to. I don't think anyone cares (not even the rest of the band) if that acoustic guitar intro is played on an electric or acoustic. Soon enough I was playing my favourite guitars for the whole set instead of a less liked one which was more versatile.

It's different if you're a professional band but then you've got a tech to pass you the next guitar for each song. Each to their own though!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it doesn't matter...it needs to inspire etc...how many times have you thought I don't sound quite right and it throws you off? Totally happened to me many times. In the same way as sound via IEM's drives me nuts....but I've also accepted that my sound won't be perfect and as long as I can pull my pinch harmonics I'm happy :)

My ego needs constant feeding...I was also a child of the 80's....a pattern ? Ha!

I need it to sound good. Somehow, when things sound good it becomes easier to play. But there's a tipping point of worth. My rig is complex enough now that I use a double sided 10U rack case. Add two guitars, do I need to have a cabinet for that extra few percent?

For me, no. I'm also the singer so my vocal monitoring is way more important. I've played with seriously good musicians that finish a great gig and comment how terrible the sound was for them on stage yet gave nothing away for the whole performance. But I've also watched players making all kinds of demands on the sound man, or playing with knobs and settings throughout a show in their quest for perfect sound, to the point of it becoming a distraction for the audience.

A couple of years back I experienced a band setting up in a pub. I'd seen the guitarist's Friedman and really nice Les Paul. As the rest were setting up, he was cranking out classic riffs and I was massively impressed by the tones. Really top class sound. But not only did he carry on wanking away for about 15 minutes to the clear annoyance of the customers, when the band started playing properly, they didn't sound that good. Nothing major, but a let down from the guitar sound alone.

It made me consider just how important that great sound is and whether I'm too focused on it. Would I rather be like the bass player that plugs into a backline bass amp, shrugs his shoulders and says 'Good enough for me' or the guy fiddling his way through the show, desperately trying to find the missing mojo. Sadly I've been that guy and I regret it rather a lot.....

Again, not saying that great sound isn't important but it's definitely worth putting it into perspective.

I tried the acoustic sim at home and wasn't impressed. I also created a preset with the sim going into a body resonance impulse response from an acoustic guitar. Still not brilliant. I shut my kemper down and went to band practice a few days later.

Plugged everything in, switched it on at band level and played a few bits forgetting it was set to acoustic. I was stunned at how good it sounded and the others agreed it sounded very much like an acoustic guitar.

So, I was wrong. It's great. Thank you!

I use it purely as it makes swapping from playing normally to reamping a matter of turning a knob.

I can't tell any difference in the sound and if I could and found it to be a case of better and worse, I'd consider my interface garbage. Your converters should not be degrading the signal to the point where it makes it sound bad.

Whats the best way to use this with a piezo equiped guitar but have a mag & piezo chain?

Share both reverb and delay for the signals but I don't want the mag tone affected by the acoustic sim

I'm fairly certain that Kemper stated the acoustic sim is designed to work with magnetic pickups and that a piezo is unlikely to be as good.

And if you're trying to run the pickups and piezo through separate paths in the Kemper at the same time, no. That won't work.

Does it matter which base profile you use (I assume "yes") and which base profile is anyone having success with? I tried it with a TJ 65 Deluxe Reverb V1 profile and the Acoustic Sim didn't sound good at all through headphones. It was somewhat muddy and dark and didn't sound like an actual acoustic guitar; more like a very early guitar synth trying to sound like an acoustic.

Further, I took the suggestion of turning off the Cab and that resulted in a very piercing sound along with the note of the high E string on my Les Paul. Like stabbing in the ear piercing that hurts to hear.

I hope I'm doing something wrong, because as is, it's not close to ready. I did see a YouTube video of some dude demoing it and it sounded great.

Have you tried turning off the whole amp, stack and cab section?

You raise some good points but I believe you also miss the mark.

Kemper already offers the option to have reduced updates but with more proven, stable results. Fortunately, they also offer us the option of more frequent updates but with some risk of issues.

If you want the former, don't upgrade until the updates are thoroughly tested, into the release stage and then tested some more. There are plenty of us that do so and I'm certainly a good few updates back. These updates aren't security updates on a PC, they're new features and bug fixes. It's up to you if you want to install them.

Secondly, regarding the Mac/Windows support team; we're in a global pandemic. Working environments are unusual, information sharing has changed. Also, Kemper aren't a massive company that have resources coming out of their ears or even the support of being owned by a multinational company like Line 6. There will be issues like this as a result.

Lastly, I use a seperate Performance for each song live and have never used RM to program any Performance. I'm sure there are benefits but it's in no way at all essential.

Don't forget, what you send to be recorded doesn't have to be what you listen to whilst recording. Depending on how you monitor the KPA, you can send a DI track to the recorder, or an amped sound but without the the reverbs, delays or modulation but still hear the whole lot whilst you record.

This thread seems more appropriate for my question:

So sorry it this has been answered but I have read through and don't find an answer. I'm considering buying a Kemper Power Head and Kabinet. The head puts out 600w and the Kabinet is rated at 200w. I'd never hook up a 600w amp to a 200w cabinet and crank it. Not that I need 600w. But any concerns on such high power rating difference?

The common consensus with a solid state power stage is to have more power than the speaker. Should the amp start to clip, it will produce (most likely) unpleasant distortion. That clipping can also be dangerous to some speakers.

With a bigger amp, you're more likely to get the speaker distorting. You should notice this easily and it will be at significant volume.

I say, don't worry about it.

i admit I have never tried a polyphonic tuner but I can’t see the point of them as I only have one hand available to tune with anyway. Am I missing something really obvious?

The idea is you strum all six strings simultaneously and the display shows which are in tune and which aren't. You then pluck the offending strings individually and the tuner automatically reverts the a good quality chromatic tuner. Thus it saves having to check each string individually, to find if any are out. If none or only a couple of strings are out, it's convenient and saves a small but measurable amount of time. It's a sound idea.

But it doesn't work.

I found the polyphonic tuning on the Polytune garbage. I wouldn't have trusted it live ever. No idea why it works for some but not at all for me but there you have it!

The reason I asked is that the Kone looks suspiciously close in spec/construction to the: K12H200TC

So I'd be curious to see their charts side by side, which apparently will be impossible!

This has been discussed previously and it's definitely not the same speaker. The wizzer cone is differently sized and the ohms are different if i recall. The size of the wizzer is directly relevant to how the dispersion characteristics have been designed.

There's nothing to say that the TC will sound bad and there are plenty of people here saying they've tried them but it will definitely not respond as Kemper intend the Kone to.

What Zappledan is suggesting is that - as was suggested earlier - you make a special "phase reversing cable" - wired so that the tip of one plug connects with the sleeve on the plug on the opposite end of the cable and vice versa.

I would just take a cable you already have and reverse the connections at one end. (I would also label it so it doesn't screw you up at some future time.)

Use this doctored cable to connect the second cab to the first. Phase problem fixed.

Yep. Or open the cabinet and swap the spade connectors at the speaker. I understand the desire to not do this and the rationale that it shouldn't be necessary but alas, errors during manufacturing will always happen. People get things wrong.

Since I am having phase problems when linking my two Kabinets in mono via the Powerhead speaker output, is it probable I would also have phase issues when running a stereo setup with an external poweramp and the L/R monitor outputs on the Powerhead?

P.S. I’m a bit surprised no one else has mentioned linking two Kabinets together. It’s a really cool mini stack and probably sounds massive when the phase is correct. One Kabinet sounds bigger than anticipated.

If you use the same two cabinets and the same speaker cables, yes, definitely.

As I mentioned earlier, this sounds like a straight forward case of one of your speaker cables being wired incorrectly and is a very simple fix.

Both speaker cables are new and identical. I also tried both cables on both Kabinets. Everything works OK until I link the Kabinets together. It surely does sound like a phase issue though. Appreciate the reply!

Also, I wonder if I’m in a small minority of Powerhead owners who are trying to use two Kabinets in this way?

Do you have a multimeter? I'd check that both cables are wired tip to tip. It's easy to get it wrong and usually makes no difference, until you add a second, identical speaker!

Hmm, ever heard of a Variax?

Granted, it's not profiling, but classic "modelling", but with my James Tyler Variax plus my Kemper, I'm pretty much up to anything - Drop D LP to open tuning acoustic with the twist of a knob...

Good enough for my purposes - and even for a Doobie Brother like John McFee...

I had the guts from an early Variax built into a Telecaster. It really sounded great. It came down to me realising that the sounds of each model were less important than I thought and the tactile qualities more important that lead me to letting it go.

But from Tele to Les Paul to acoustic, it all sounded great.