Playing Metal without Bass - how to achieve more low-end?

• Hi!

I am playing solo, mainly with a looper. I don´t use a bass guitar, I play Doom Metal in E-tuning.

I have a rhythm profile and a lead profile I use.

The rhythm one is focused on lower mids, the lead one vice versa.

What I´d like is a little bit more low end on the rhythm profile. For now I am using a pitch shifter activated in the pre amp section, mixed in by ~50%. It´s good, but still not perfect.

Do you have any hint I could use to get a bit more tighter and present low end? For example putting a pitch shifter in the post amp section?

Thanks in advance!

• Hi rawberry2 I would say, don't be afraid to use the bass, middle and treble knobs. Or put an EQ behind the stack section and find out which frequencies you need to be more present.

Kemper Stage - Macbook Air 2017 - macOS Catalina 10.15.7 - Logic Pro X

• Try a parallel path, put a pitch shifter in the the parallel path an octave down and then experiment with others for the second effect, but I'd likely the pitch shift post any dirt for clearer tracking

• Yeah you can fake it - but why?

You may not realise how enjoyable a real bass is to play. You don't need to spend a fortune either, secondhand or new. For instance you can get something like an Axe Heaven bass from thomann for thirty five quid, or 40 US.

I'm sure I paid about that the last time I bought a set of bass strings =O

Edited once, last by paddyc ().

• Yeah you can fake it - but why?

You may not realise how enjoyable a real bass is to play. You don't need to spend a fortune either, secondhand or new. For instance you can get something like an Axe Heaven bass from thomann for thirty five quid, or 40 US.

I'm sure I paid about that the last time I bought a set of bass strings =O

He's a solo performer, using a looper. Playing bass in that context won't really work.

My suggestion would be to look at the Boss OC-5. For the money, I'm not aware of anything quite like it.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Why not play your guitar with Transpose at -12 with a Bass Profile and loop that. Then play regular guitar over that. The trick to getting a convincing bass sound is to use the middle pickup ( or both pickups for HH setup) and a very light pick (0.45 - 0.50mm).

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Defo look to use an octaver as just increasing bass I suspect won;t cover the sonic space as well.

In other words, do the opposite of Royal Blood ( Bass player has an octave higher)...

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

It does inflict a few limitations from a composition perspective :)

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM