Posts by Monkey_Man

I can't wait to see what folks say as I've never owned a decent guitar, or even one that I liked.

Torn between a Luke II / III and a Suhr Vintage / Vintage Modern (Strat-style). Can't audition, so have to make an intellectual choice. Needs to play like butta as I have weak hand muscles due to injury many moons ago...

EDIT: Sorry Lloyd, I feel I should have acknowledged you seeing as we've spoken already. Hope this forum action helps alleviate the pain of the wait for your Kemper!

Thank you for that, Doug.

The iTunes analogy is perfect IMHO, because, as I pointed out in my edit of the previous post, when one's dealing with a single file type, this sort of functionality becomes indispensable for so many reasons.

Yup. That was my assumption too, and headphones are usually on the right.

Heck, even the USB plug's upside-down, but I put all these things in the "Kemper's a unique, one-of-a-kind piece of kit" basket. A basket case, if you will. LOL

Oh, and we have 125 performances, not 128, and many other miscellaneous details that render our beloved unique.

Aahh... yes, I totally get you and you've misunderstood the request, mate; perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

Nothing changes except for the display of the rigs when the folder's highlighted. IOW, it's still just a container, but becomes a much more useful one.

EDIT: I've been having a private conversation where someone pointed out to me that this has been raised more than once before. The Kemper Team's defence has been that folders follow the pattern of behaviour one encounters in, say, the Mac Finder, where highlighting one doesn't reveal the contents of subfolders. Here's my answer to that, quoted from said conversation:

The Finder analogy is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned as in that case one's dealing with multiple file types, whereas in RM it's only rigs that are involved and there's basically a single purpose to clicking folders - to view / edit / audition rigs.

Yes Bobbo!

If more than one mic were used, which IIRC is something Andy frequently does, your method would be hard to beat.

The only other option, besides hardware-based micro-delay, would obviously be to do as I suggested and tweak their distances and orientations... in millimetres. That said, I imagine that aiming both at the same spot on the cone whilst effectively "strapped" together might be a quick-and-dirty path towards near-perfect phase alignment. This doesn't accommodate the principle of employing one mic in, say, a bassy position and the other in a mid / bright one, 'though; in such a case, your method might prove quicker to implement than millimetre-by-millimetre adjustment.

Geez. Audio engineering. So many cans and so many worms. Perhaps Andy will 'fess up and put an end to this, or at least tell us he's keeping his secret herbs and spices to himself. LOL

I'm hoping that anything (new) added after the 5 or 6 original bundles will be able to be purchased in simplified form such as more bundles of similar proportions to the original ones.

This would make it easier for those who're fans of all Michael's work to ensure they have everything.

Morty, now's your big chance to tell the boss how the delay and reverb should be according to you.

You'll never get a better opportunity, so go for it, mate!

[Post worded in such a way as to be clear to a 2nd-language English speaker... quiet LOL in background... this could be interesting...]

Is this a proposal???

Andy (TAF) and I already booked a room in another thread, so I'll have to decline... for now, but who knows, Michael - once Andy and I finish the beers I said I'd bring we'll probably be out of things to do. LOL

Very curious about the new techniques. Are these general things like room treatment, cab placement, mic'ing, etc. Or are these specific to the kemper profiling? I remember when Top Jimi first appeared he mentioned some top secret profiling technique. Very curious if you can share or give hints

Obviously I've no idea which new-fangled methods Andy might have come up with, Bobbo, but I can tell you that if it were I who were making profiles for dollars, I'd be focussed firstly on minimising phase cancellation through minuscule mic-position adjustments, as well as the obvious things such as mic and preamp choices and tweaking of the latter.

Rothko61, in fact you would know how many are in the folder as well as in the subfolders.

Taking Andy's example picture above, the TAF-Bundles folder, if highlighted, would display a number where the "0" is, and all the rigs contained therein would be displayed on the right-hand side. Because he had the disclosure triangle "open", all 10 packs' folders would still be visible in exactly the same way.

On your second point, it's handy to have separate folders (subfolders) for the sake of clarity and also to expedite the backup / syncing process for those who, like me, keep zip files / archives of all packs added to RM; it just makes the process of checking what's there against one's archives a whole lot easier. I drag directly from RM into appropriately-names folders in order to back everything up, so every pack has an identically-named backup folder that mirrors what's in RM. As soon as one groups these packs, identifying what one has added or what might be missing becomes a right PITA.

I did originally group things as you suggested, but the aforementioned issue posed a road block for me every time I sought to ensure everything was in place whilst backing up.

Andy, as you've probably figured out by now, yes, you did misunderstand me, but I appreciate your feedback as well as the posting of your pic as it has served to help illustrate what I'm banging on about, mate.

Lastly, something that would further enhance RM's usability and that flows logically from my requests would be the ability to see the rigs for more than a single folder; the ability to highlight and browse folders using the click-drag / command-drag / shift-click (for range-selection) methods inherent to the Mac / Windows operating systems, would complete the logical set of features my request constitutes. It's just logical, Batman!

EDIT: My backup methods aside, the single most important reason I've raised these things is that they'll make browsing simpler and more fun; less futzing about clicking folders and more up / down-arrow auditioning is the aim of the game here. Select the parent folder (a genre / style / grouping of rigs) and you're away, or select a "select" range or non-contiguous group of folders... and you're away. Either way, you're away, and won't have to constantly break the audition flow by scratching your head and wondering which folder to click on next. Sometimes you know exactly which folder / pack you're after. Great - highlight it and you're done, but most of the time, for me at least, I'd like to be able to browse sub-sections that aren't limited to single-folder groupings.

I've ranted enough. If my beloved Kemperites can't see these features' benefitting them, so be it; all I know for sure is that these enhancements would certainly make life a whole lot less complicated for lil' ol' me from the get-go.

Oh yeah, Lloyd, I meant to point out that you'd best make sure you have an analog input handy for when you're in town - the Kemper does not send USB audio.

EDIT: You could try S/PDIF as an alternative, but I'd try to go analogue first.

Yup. That's what I do, Michael.

Unga-bunga basic...

Its funny right... I mean, sometimes when we have problems in life, our heads always assume the worst & the more complex things. when really its often the simple and obvious. but were all crazy (confirmed) because we never think like that!..

Pfft. you guys are crazy!. : )

So true, Andy. You nailed it right there IMHO.

We've got all this complex stuff we spent thousands of hours learning and configuring for use, and then when crunch time comes we act as if we're still figuring things out / setting things up / configuring stuff. First point of call should always be the basics, but we're not in that headspace at times such as these... generally speaking, and especially when we haven't put our gear through its paces in a while - that's the killer that bites me every time!

Morty, it's called PureCab because it aims to remove the coloration imparted by a microphone from the cab's sound in a given rig.

IOW, cab minus mic = PureCab.

Because all rigs (except for those which are direct profiles (sans cab), stomps or PODs or whatever) are captured with mics, they all, by definition, suffer from phase cancellation or comb filtering to some extent. Those skilled in the art of mic placement, selection, EQing and who have good ears, are best able to minimise such artefacts whilst creating profiles. The rest of us, well, not so much. This is why I predict that for most of us, commercial profiles shouldn't demand judicious use of the feature to the extent that those found on the Rig Exchange might. YMMV, of course, and this is only MHO...

Well, I never intended for this to become stupid. My only point with the original post and question is that if PureCab is engaged and set to zero it should track linearly from 0 (no effect) to 10 (max effect) and not have a hidden artifact when engaged and set to 0 - that's all really simple and logical if you think about it.

I agree, mwinter77, but equally as logical is, given that 10 is the maximum-effect setting, that 0 would be the minimum effect setting and not necessarily a zero effect.

Horses for courses, really.