Posts by SpinnerDeluxe

Over the years, I have grown to love the sound of the mic'ed tube amp sound and the "amp-in-the-room" is now piercing and unpleasant in comparison.

Well said. And if your purpose as a guitar player is to serve the song and the bands performance it is the only way to go.

Things are getting funny when guitar players want a "sound in the room" just like their hero guitar player - as they know it from records. Well, on records they are hearing miced amps. With the low end cut by the mix engineer to keep space for the bass player etc etc 8)

My two cents for guitar sounds for song-serving:

Get yourself a regular PA - which is as FRFR as it gets. Could well be a mini PA like from LD Systems for about 500 bucks. Or some JBL EONs. For moddest SPL a pair of active studio monitors will do the trick. Connect an MP3-Player to the Profiler and the Profiler to that PA (or the studio monitors). Now listen to your favorite songs and mixes. Play with the EQ in the Profilers output section. Do only cuts, no boosts. On many speakers I have to cut Treble by say 2 dB - maybe I am allergic to crossover distortion between mids and highs... And I high pass below say 45 Hz. The goal is to make your favorite songs sound clear and transparent and pleasant for you. Double check again and again with the most neutral pair of headphones you can grab.

Only AFTER you achieved that kind of reference you can start selecting and fine tuning your profiles of choice. Always fine tune the amp while playing and listening to a well mixed backing track (with the same and consistent loudness level). This is important for your amp loudness as well as the tonal balance within a song context. Do this for every rig you intend to use. The backing track is a permanent reference for your ears. Otherwise they will drift over time and dont serve you well for judging...

Apropos fine tuning: Even though we got liquid profiling now consider start tuning with the great and unique profiler amp parameters first!

If you want more vintage - silky - smooth sounds try lowering definition or clarity and pick. Increase power sag. For modern and punchy metal sounds do the opposite. And only after that reach out for good old bass - mid -treble - presence. knobs. Yes, its the 21. century...

This procedure will reward you with instantly OK guitar sounds on any stage or rehearsal room or studio. And most song recordings for that matter. From here its an ease for the sound engineer to make your guitar sound excellent in that particular venue with that particular PA or song context.

BTW:

I got a sound proof live room in my basement with a stereo pair of 12 inch JBL EONs plus the 18 inch subwoofer. Max SPL is well above 125 dB. There is no problem to "emulate" a Marshall Plexi full stack. Sounds earth shaking without changing the profiles or rigs. And no ordinary listener could tell its not a "Real Stack". Its great "amp in the room" AND song serving sound at the same time.

I am using Return 3/4 for practicing with Drum Machines or Backing Tracks. I placed the corresponding FX stereo Loop in stereo FX 3. In FX4 I got a natural reverb to glue drums and guitar together. Sounds way more pleasing. The AUX return doesnt do that trick.

Now we got USB recording. Whenever I got a good idea for a new song while jamming, I would like to hit RECORD and be able to record the guitar stack in addition to the dry drums hooked to Return 3/4 separately. This way those prints could well be used for a final song. And for monitoring only there is still some reverb ear candy...

The only issue I can see is that the KPA doesn’t have 48v phantom. Although repurposing the Return XLR for recording mic might be possible with only a software update, I would be surprised if phantom could be added without hardware updates.

I got myself an XVive P1 portable phantom power. Its battery powered, charging via USB and lasts forever with one charge. Its only about 50 bucks and very clean and transparent sounding.

I started to "abuse" the profiler for mic recording with a Blues Harp mic from Hohner which I just connected to the guitar input and used an AC30 profile for the grit. Great!

Meanwhile I am also recording vocals through the guitar input. The profiles of choice would then be the channel strip profiles such as Liquid Neve or Liquid Telefunken. By doing so you can also use the FX Stomps for Equalizing , Compression and Reverb. You can record DI and get the dry mic while still monitoring WET.

I saved a special MIC-Performance for that purpose. My profiler stage - once purchased for practicing in my living room - now became a kindof top notch multitrack demo recorder for ideas or demos.

I had the same problem after updating to latest Kemper Stage OS today.

In my case there were 3 (!) entries in the Sound/Controller Settings. 2 were called Profiler (as above) and then another one called Kemper Profiler. I had to delete all 3 and now its working again.

Check the input section of the Kemper. Here you can adjust how loud your clean vs. the driven sound shall be.

If you miss the compression or evetually power sag you liked for certain tube amps: check the amp section and its parameters. There you will find just that - for each and very profile: compression parameter and power sag parameter.

I am quite sure will will be able to nail down the sound of your desire.

Good luck!

Thanks for the help! I'll work on it this weekend.

I also want to the use the KPA's R/L XLR outputs to feed into my mixer. My mixer only has one XLR input per channel so how do I map both of the KPA's XLR outputs into the mixer?

Thats how it is! Use one channel for Kemper LEFT and turn the panorama poti to left. Use another channel for Kemper RIGHt and turn the panpot to the right. So two mono channel strips are resulting in a stereo mix. Voila!

I would prefer a more general solution: a guitar playing robot. It would play in my Style, just without my flaws. I would meanwhile sit in the audience and have a couple of beers. AFAIK this has been done already by Kraftwerk. No guitars, though and hence no punk.

All right, just got my Kemper a few days ago! After about 5 years with the Fractal unit I finally decided to join this camp... but why? I had the chance of trying the Kemper for this first time at NAMM '17 and I was floored by the fact I could get a few awesome and very usable sounds within 10 mins with a stock Gibson guitar. I was still skeptical because I wasn't sure how everything would pan out with my gear (I'm mostly 7 and 8 string player), so a buddy of mine bought one and I immediately tested it with my stuff... veredict: it got me headbanging (which is not easy to do) within 10 mins yet again! Said no more, a month later here we are.

Could be me!

Welcome to Toasterland.

Main output mean front of house

Yes. Stereo. No magic here, just set your output level to something the FOH mixer is happy with, typically just a line signal.

monitor output mean my IEM's? (I use in ears)

Well, IEM should play the whole band, no? That means you will get your IEM signal from the front of house mixer. And depeneding on its capability even in stereo.

A German lesson:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

(The elder guys might want to skip this.)

Thanx for sharing.

In other words:

I am typically sitting 3 meters away from my FRFR speakers. The toaster will throw me back by 3 meters. If I use my G10 it beams me back another 3 meters. In total now 9 meters. Still a small stage to move around on... but bigger than I expected.