Posts by don1960lp

If ever there was a genre that was custom made for digital processing it's modern metal and yet metal players are among the most resistant to digital amps :/

Boy, do I have a few profiles that would change their thinking! Also, I'd recommend any metal player, especially those who de-tune and/or play 7-8 string or multi-scale guitars, head on over to Victory amps and check out their official Kraken profiles! Those suckers are heavy with a capital H.

Metal tip of the day: search out profiles by Alessio Forlani of the Mosotti X100M. Those'll peel paint!

If I were Dave Friedman I'd get in touch with Michael Britt and work out a deal. Dude's maybe the first true "superstar" profiler. Offer up official profiles with Britt's name on them and I think they'd sell really well!

Again, the Dave Friedman's of the world, and his defenders, can't fault Kemper for:

1. Choosing to be uniquely innovative in their chosen segment of the consumer electronics marketplace.

2. Introducing a brilliant product that creates a paradigm shift in how many view a decades old technology; the facsimile of guitar amps.

3. Being very successful with the branding and marketing of their product.

4. Doing everything legally and by the book. (we all know lawsuits are a dime a dozen in this industry)

1) The objection they have to the Kemper is how it's marketed.

2) I've encountered examples of people buying amps, profiling them, then returning them. To me that's ethically untenable.

3) To write off Friedman as just some Marshall copycat is a bit intellectually dishonest.

1) How is Kemper any different than Line 6, Fractal, Headrush, Et. al., in the key proponent of their marketing pitch; Get authentic tweed, British, boutique, etc. tones, without all of the hassle.

2) Unfortunately this is common-place in all consumer markets these days. Buy a digital recorder, record an album, then return it. Buy a 2000" TV for the Super Bowl then return it. Not a negative point against any single CE company.

Re: Friedman Amps. If you were to stop random people roaming the amp floor at NAMM and asked them which amp brand the Friedman's pay homage to, 99% of the responses from people who were aware enough of Friedman to answer, would be Marshall. Not a knock on folks like Friedman, Germino, Metropoulos, or Fargen. It is what it is.

I see the Kemper kone ( software part) as being able to fully separate the speaker and amp profile. The more accurately each aspect is profiled, the better.

Agree 100%. Not sure how the software currently does it, but I'm certain that lots of lines between the two are being blurred. Funny, you don't usually think about 'grey areas' when it comes to digital.

I rotate between a number of guitars so I'm trying to avoid factoring that into the equation. They are all pretty balanced via PU height adjustments and then I have a parametric EQ in front of the KPA in case the resonant frequency of a particular guitar is giving me a problem. A simple -2/-3dB scoop with a tight Q works every time.

Here's a screen shot of my current setup FTR.

First some questions:

1. How many rig files do you routinely keep stored in your KPA?

2. What % of them do you use on a regular basis?

3. What % of them would you classify as "specialty" rigs? (heavily effects laden, tailored to a particular player, etc.)

4. What's your current method of naming/organization of files?

1. 62 in the breadbox. (many hundreds more on hard drive)

2. A lot actually. (70% during the course of a week?) I mainly just jam and will randomly pick rigs without much forethought at all.

3. Right now, 5 FX rigs and 5-6 signature rigs (got one that nails Gilmour's clean DSOTM univibe tones - another does Metheny's G-300 synth sounds pretty well)

4. What day of the week is it???

I started numbering rigs in groups of 5 for the sake of the remote. Scrapped that. Tried a couple of other ways before settling on this: XX-File name. XX being a basic identifier, e.g.;

AA - American Vintage

AM - American Modern

BA - British Vintage

BM - British Modern

DB - Dumble (huge fan and I collect clones)

HB - Hybrid (swiss army knife)

MT - Modern Metal

SG - Signature

XF - Special FX

I make sure the file name easily identifies the rig in some manner. In some cases it's as simple as using the amp brand. Not as easy with Marhsall, Fender, and Vox! I have a killer rig of a small 20 watt Marshall combo whose only claim to fame is that it was once owned by Frampton. Voila'!

BA-FRAMPTON

Would love to hear how others tackle this issue, especially those with a LOT of files stored.

(A) OK.

(B) Are the other modern era amp designers who 'pirated' the foundation of their circuit designs going public with accusations of 'piracy' against digital simulation designers?

(C) "That's just the nature of the amp industry." Friedman obviously subscribes to this. Well, a Friedman amp being digitally modeled or profiled is "just the nature of the digital amp industry". Is what's good for the goose, all of a sudden not good for the gander?

(D) Wrong. His amps are popular for nailing Marshall tones. Thinking otherwise is a bit naive IMO. Funny how when a guitar rag wants to do a "Marshall" shootout, you can bet a Friedman will be one of the amps in the round-up. Hmmm. :/

If an old curmudgeon like Mike Zaite can accept and embrace the digital technology, then maybe the Friedman's of the world should take a page from him and get out from under their sour grapes.