Posts by HowardBrown

theplayer, The same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago, load a new rig from Rig Manager to my Profiler (rack) and it showed up in RM in the Profiler folder but not on the Profiler screen until I powered down and then back on and then it appeared on the Profiler screen. I was in browser mode with no controller hooked up, I loaded 180 rigs total and the anomaly occurred 6 or 7 times, I'm running the latest software version on RM and the Profiler, I marked it off to the Ghost in the Machine?

The new passive Kabinet is available at the Kemper US store, jumped $60 from v1. Been contemplating a remote for about a year, don't really need it but would be nice to have, looks like they've gone up $40-$50, can't remember the exact price they were previously. Not a complaint, just an observation, I'm saving the complaints for Lowes and Home Depot's new pricing on inventory! I had to buy outlets, switches and cover plates last week for a house I'm helping a family member remodel, there were about 8 other customers shopping in the same isle and as sticker shock began to spread through the group I felt the impending doom of a riot on the horizon, gathered my supplies quickly and got out ?

In the output section there are Low Cut and High Cut filters you can set, they affect all outputs. Rather than eq blocks on each profile you could tweak the Monitor Output 4 band eq to taste in each environment you are in, it will only affect the monitor out to your 212 cabinet and not main outputs to front of house.

I might not be that adventurous or maybe a little lazy but I try different profiles (dry, no effects) until I find one that sounds good through my setup and very seldom touch the eq section of the profile, if I do it's very small adjustments, then add effects back in to taste. If its good at the start you have a foundation to build on, if it takes a lot of tweaking and still isn't cutting it skip that profile and move on, there are to many decent ones out there to choose from.

from page 60 & 61 of the manual

MAIN OUTPUT: These are your main stereo outputs. Use these outputs to connect to a mixing desk in a recording studio, or to the front-of-house mixer in a live situation. These outputs deliver the entire Rig: amp, cabinet, and all effects. You have a choice of XLR (balanced) or quarter-inch TS-jacks (unbalanced). The XLR outputs are protected against 48V phantom power fed by a mixing desk. However, you should avoid feeding phantom power into the PROFILER if you want the best audio quality. Like all inputs and outputs, it offers a ground lift in the menu of the Output Section to prevent a loop hum.

MONITOR OUTPUT: Use these outputs to connect the PROFILER to a powered stage monitor for mono, or two powered stage monitors for stereo. These outputs have their own level control and ground lift in the menu of the Output Section

look at the output section, the default setting for monitor out (goes to your headrush) should be Master Mono, so one instrument cord to your monitor.

The main outs are set by default to Master Stereo, so if a stereo signal needs to go to front of house use L & R. If you only need a mono send to front of house change the main outs L & R in the output section to Master Mono, then only one cable to mixer.

The output settings are listed in the manual on pages 112, 113 & 114?

AaronJ16 , the first Kone I purchased was a lemon, Kemper exchanged it and the second one is night and day difference. The Kone that wasn't good was extremely harsh no matter what settings I tried. Here are some adjustments to try, these were from posts off of the forum, some may be mentioned above, it's a good starting point.

1. Press the System button to open its menu, on page 1 press the soft key above Init Globals, exit out of system menu

2. Press the Output button to open its menu, on page 8 (Kemper Kone) press the soft key above Kemper Kone and make sure it is checked, this will use your profiles cabinet not an imprint.

3. Go to page 5 (Output Filter) and set the Low Cut to 70 Hz and the High Cut to 7000 Hz (mine is set as follows, Low Cut 90 Hz and High Cut 4650 Hz, I have a Kone loaded in my own cabinet so I adjusted to my personal taste)

See if that makes a difference.

Also - I don't plan to run it at full volume so the 300watts should not be an issue?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Warren

I had the opportunity to get a new TC Electronics Bam200 (following advice from other forum members as dmatthews posted above) for $6 when I was putting together my rack this summer, so I didn't look much further than that.

Powering a 112 cab loaded with Kone (at home) I don't turn the master volume past 9 o'clock. I cranked it to 11 or 11:30 once last week just for giggles but my old ears can't take the hit anymore. Might not have been so bad in a larger area with me standing instead of sitting but I've got no doubt I would be able to hear myself in a live situation with a drummer and other instruments. If that unit is similar, which it looks to be, your on the money with not running it at full volume lol.

One advantage from my perspective is all the connections are on the back for hookup, I had to route a cable to the front of the rack for the Bam200, not a deal breaker for me but not as clean looking when finished. If you take the plunge post your results, I'd be interested in hearing how it works out for you.

You'll love it, I went through multiple amps and stomps until 1990 and got a Boss me-1, then a Digitech rp-1, then back to tube amp and stomps, then Line 6 AXll, then.....it finally ended in 2017 with the Kemper. Take advantage of ST's links above, a little reading time and patience and the basic navigation and use isn't bad, you will have a silly grin on your face pretty quick just going through the onboard profiles, and the forum is an invaluable resource. Congratulations on your purchase!

I'm using a Kabinet, so I assume I want CAB ON. correct?

Manual pg 95:

"The KEMPER Kone is fully controlled by the software of your PROFILER. Please activate its “intelligence”, navigate to the "KEMPER Kone" page in the Output Section and press the soft button labeled KEMPER Kone

You will find three familiar parameters that we have mirrored on the KEMPER Kone page for your convenience: Monitor Volume, Monitor Stereo and Monitor Cab Off.

When Monitor Cab Off is not highlighted, the KEMPER Kone works in full range mode."

Should I run XLR or 1/4 guitar cable to PA?

Manual pg 41:

"MAIN OUTPUT (1) (xlr and 1/4") These are your main stereo outputs. Use these outputs to connect to a mixing desk in a recording studio, or to the front-of-house mixer in a live situation. These outputs deliver the entire Rig: amp, cabinet, and all effects. You have a choice of XLR (balanced) or quarter-inch TS-jacks (unbalanced). The XLR outputs are protected against 48V phantom power fed by a mixing desk. However, you should avoid feeding phantom power into the PROFILER if you want the best audio quality. Like all inputs and outputs, it offers a ground lift to prevent a loop hum."

BayouTexan, my wife has been pretty supportive, she bought my Kemper in 2017 and helped choose a new guitar (color that is) in 2019.

But I too must bow to your prowess in pulling your wife into the life of neverending gear obsession?

We are on vacation at the moment for our 25th anniversary, I've been sharing this thread with her in our leisure time and your mojo seems to translate through written word as well. Thus far she finds it humorous and not at all offensive or manipulative, this could lead to a new remote sooner than later, if she is somehow convinced it is powerful?

I've used them often as patch cords over the last 30 yrs while working on pa systems, never had any problems. But if you have decent studio monitors and aren't using the xlr outs, what I read from others is that's a good way to dial in a decent tone that will translate better through a pa, or a least a good starting point. If not in use I'd try the xlr's.

Looks like the 1/4" outputs are mono unbalanced, so trs are no benefit, it would still be an unbalanced signal. If you aren't using the xlr main outs use those.

From the manual, page 61 back panel overview for the stage:

"MONITOR OUTPUT (5) (1/4" outs) Use these outputs to connect the PROFILER to a powered stage monitor for mono, or two powered stage monitors for stereo. These outputs have their own level control and ground lift in the menu of the Output Section. You can also connect this output to a power amp and regular guitar cabinets. In this case, you need to switch the cabinet simulation off, using the soft button “Monitor Cab Off” in the Output Section, to prevent the unwanted coloration that would result from running a speaker emulation through a guitar cabinet."

From page 60:

"MAIN OUTPUT (4) (xlr outs) These are your main stereo outputs. Use these outputs to connect to a mixing desk in a recording studio, or to the front-of-house mixer in a live situation. These outputs deliver the entire Rig: amp, cabinet, and all effects. You have a choice of XLR (balanced) or quarter-inch TS-jacks (unbalanced). The XLR outputs are protected against 48V phantom power fed by a mixing desk. However, you should avoid feeding phantom power into the PROFILER if you want the best audio quality. Like all inputs and outputs, it offers a ground lift in the menu of the Output Section to prevent a loop hum."

I found the -12dB check and set it to mono. It's good to go :)

1. Where do I find the MASTER VOLUME settings to make sure it's not linked to the Main Outs?

2. Do I need to worry about bypassing the Speaker imprints when going through the PA?

2. Should I face the Kemper towards me as if it's my monitor?

1. output section, not by my kemper but just scroll through the pages until you find it

(per vjelen suggested manual reference)

"Output Volumes and Output Volume Link Within the Output Section you can find individual volumes for different physical outputs. When you press the correspondent "Link” soft button in "Output Volumes” or "Output AddOns”, you can link, or unlink, the respective volume to the MASTER VOLUME knob. Any linked volumes will be controlled by the MASTER VOLUME knob, without having to enter the Output Section again. You can link more than one volume to Master Volume – all linked volumes will be adjusted relatively to each other. All output volumes can still be controlled individually by soft knobs in the Output Section. An obvious live application is to unlink the MAIN OUTPUT connected to the main mixing desk of the venue – this means you can now change the volume of your monitor signal, or headphones, while the all-important main signal remains unchanged."

2. No, main out is not affected by Kone settings, only monitor out.

"Like the Monitor Cab Off feature, the KEMPER Kone mode is only available for the MONITOR OUTPUT, as well as for the built in power amp and is dedicated to your personal monitoring. The other outputs are not affected by these features. "

2.2. Assuming it's your Kabinet your referencing, if it's purpose is to be your personal monitor whatever sounds and works best for you to get the best interaction between your guitar and Kabinet for some glorious feedback?

Went to see Michael Britt last week, I wanted to hear his Kemper live and the wife likes Lonestar, was a win-win evening. He was using a Kemper stage, looked like the singer was using one too, I couldn't see well enough to be able to tell if it was a stage or a foot controller. There was a lunchbox on the right side of the stage, not sure if it was for the singer or keyboard player, he played guitar quite a bit also. It's the third time I've been to shows since 2018 where a Kemper or a combination of a Kemper and tube amps were used. If I had to rely on my ears only and didn't have visual confirmation of who was using what I'd never be able to guess correctly, all three guitarist sounded good and I'm still not positively sure what each guy was plugged into lol. Sorry, original pic is not to good and compressed pic is worse.kemper-amps.com/wbb_suite_3/index.php?attachment/15444/

Mike M , if you have the ability to work off a set of plans with woodworking then I'm going to assume you could measure the head and draw you own with some pictures as guidance. The link below has detailed photos that would get you on the right path.

If your not comfortable with that find a local cabinet maker, show them the photos and see if they might do it. I was a custom cabinet builder by trade, I started out working in others shops before owning/operating a shop for years. That being said, in May of this year I ordered a 1 x 12 open back cabinet and matching 6U rack from someone else, I just didn't want to mess with laying the tolex lol.

https://britishaudio.com/colle…E-toaster-hardwood-sapele

Bayou Texan, I think this story qualifies.

My wife bought me a Kemper rack 4 years ago for Fathers day. 2 years ago I was looking to buy a new guitar, it was time to retire mine after 26 years.

I had decided on the make and model but there were very few available in the States at that time. I found five for sale and pulled them up on our tv to compare, she choose the one she liked best, so I bought it. Just finished putting together my rig, a new 1 x 12 open back cab and matching 6U rack, Furman rack power supply, Kone and TC Electronic Bam200. Not sure what's going on but she hasn't left yet lol!

Have to do some remodeling on the home over the next year but that should allow me to slip in a remote next year, maybe....

The Kone is for sure FRFR and it is supposed to be, as we advertise.

Please take care to have the "Kemper Kone" mode activated at any time.

And position yourself off-axis to the speaker, as you would do with a guitar speaker.

SOLVED

Monitor Out is set to Main Mono, the Hi/Lo Cut affects also the monitor out. I've put cuts at 7k and 100 Hz and is all good.

Looks like the Kone is not really FRFR (nore is it supposed to be) and the highest frequencies fizzes out.

Nevertheless this is now solved.

Thanks all and sorry for coming with such a beginner mistake

Kellerblues, I had a terrible time with the first Kone I bought, tried every possible combination of settings for about 3 days and it never sounded even remotely close to YouTube demonstration videos. Turned in a support ticket and Kemper took care of it and sent out another Kone, great customer service.

The second speaker is as different as night and day sound wise, I'm using it in FRFR mode most of the time. The sound in person is far and above my expectations, I'm elated with the tones!

I did follow others advice on the forum for settings to get my Kemper to a good starting point, after 4 years of owning it I'm sure I turned a knob and changed the wrong setting at one time or another.

Did you reset the Initial Global (not at my Kemper but I believe that's right). After that I only changed 3 settings in the output section beside activating Kemper Kone mode, low cut (86kz), high cut (4700hz) and gain boost to zero (I'm going into a TC Electronics Bam200, didn't need the extra boost). None of this helped with the first Kone but I started from scratch again with the second Kone and its stellar. I see you have already done some of the above setting adjustments but if you didn't try resetting the Initial Global give it a shot.

Took a few weeks to get a replacement Kone but that was due to my error, I sent in a request for warranty support through the contact page on the US site. After 3 weeks or so I pulled up my receipt from an email I saved and there was a number to call, there's a message to listen to that gave instruction on how to proceed and the correct email address to contact support. Once I got that sent off correctly I received a replacement speaker in a weeks time. I really wish I wasn't the blockhead that keeps getting the wires crossed lol!!

I was out of town for a week and didn't get to install the new Kone until this afternoon, it's a polar opposite sound wise compared to the first speaker I received, works just as it should. Now it's time to whittle the profile stack down to a more manageable number.

Thank you Kemper...

I assume that, instead of using "Monitor Cab Off" only, you have additionally switched off the Cabinet Module in the signal flow.

This is not a mode that is suitable for the Kone, and will result in a shrill sound.

No sir, that assumption is not correct, the Cabinet Module wasn't switched off. I honestly believe I may have just received the one fluke from a production batch.

For years I have done A/V design and installation as a sideline and though it doesn't happen often, I have on occasion received a product with a bad component or DOA completely. I still buy products from those companies without hesitation and will continue to do so, I in no way want my experience with one item to reflect negatively on any company. My profiler is the best investment in gear hands down that I've made in 38 years of playing. I've played guitar more in the four years I've had it than the previous ten years, mainly because it makes each playing session more enjoyable.

Thank you for taking the time to communicate with a customer on the forum, that's unusual in this day and age, especially from someone in your position, it is greatly appreciated.