Posts by steinweiner

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays Ivan! I was a former Kemper user, bought many of your packs, had to sell it due to back taxes : ( I was fortunate enough to now get another Powerhead..Still have your profiles, and now going to buy the Stealth 6L6 pack...and some of those IR's...Sound AWESOME and so inspiring!! Thank you than you thank you!

Using Windows10..Downloaded kaos, put it on a blank thumbdrive..Waited to put it in the Kemper after it was turned on and loaded up..It starts the update, but when it gets to about 50%, it stops, says "Error, cannot update-Contact Customer Support".. I've uninstalled, reinstalled...no luck..

I have submitted a ticket, but haven't heard back yet..Just got it yesterday... It "Sounds" fine, but cannot use rig manager, so can't load up any custom profiles, etc.. There Also seemed to be a bit of sound output volume inconsistency..Like a bad guitar cable (Checked them all..) The volume abruptly cuts in half, then gets loud, then no signal, then everyhtign ok.... It hasn't done it over the last few hours of playing..(I turned the Noise Gate all the way off on the front of the unit..that seemed to help (Playing at bedroom vol..low..) I'm running into a recto cab (Not doing it into my interface..) I wonder if the "Power" section has an issue.. I'm sure Customer Serv will get back to me on Monday..Anyone eles have this issue? This is my 2nd Kemper, never had this problem before.

Only selling because of back taxes that are due now..ughh/argghhh!!!!!

Perfectly mint toaster power head and foot controller. Comes with over $200 in custom profiles (M Britt, Cilicab to name a few). Comes with all the original cables/manuals, and boxes. I hope to someday afford another Kemper...it's the best... Heartbroken. $2050 plus $75 freight anywhere in the US.

Hi.
    I find that distorted rigs have to much compression. I don't refer to just extremely high gain rigs. There are thousands of really god sounding rigs with various gain, but I struggle to find ones that give me distorted sounds and a minimum of compression. I often end up choosing Rig by playability, not the sound quality. Has anyone come up with a way to reduce compression?
    -I mostly use guitars with PAF style humbucker or P 90. Montor out-ISP Stelth- Guitar cab
    /Hans J Umea Sweden

I struggle with this as I am playing my powerhead through a recto cab, using profiles designed with V 30 and recto cabs..Even usin g "Live ready" profiles...There is a bit of compression that affects the overall dynamics, especially when playing live and loud with a competing 50 or 100w tube head (Boogie MKIV in my case).This is the only area I feel the Kemper doesn't shine (it shines 110% everywhere else).. Playing loud helps, it's usually at low to mid volumes...

Yeah man, I'm in a Sevendust tribute band, and I've met them a bunch of times and have talked gear extensively with both John and Clint. John is also using a PowerRack. He and I have chatted a bit since we both got them, he's a HUGE fan of the Kemper!

Is it sad that I'm jealous of you being in a Sevendust "Tribute" band LOL? Lucky you. Huge 7D fan (and Dark New Day) Clint's a huge influence on my/our music...I have an early Boogie MKIV head. We've profiled it....it's pretty close, but missing something ..What profiles are you using? I end up using EVH 5150 III ( Based on a 50W EL34 through recto cab...pretty killer)..

Oh man... Your health is more important than anything! Don't stress...relax...you've already put enough great sounding profiles out to the world for plenty of inspiration. God speed to get better!!!!

Thanks..I have found some success in the Defnition... Studio profiles are stellar..no compression..work as advertised, etc...

Thanks everyone...again, there is more time spent on this discussion than the experience itself. I promise you, there is compression, and it's OK. Again, the sound coming through the guitar cab is about 90 % of the way there... This doesn't need to be solved, or argued about at this point. I bet that a vast majority of people on here wouldn't even have this issue... Again, this is live and loud with the band, high gain, dropped to C tuning... The Kemper works pretty well, just a bit different in the feel on the low strings (Compressed and not quite as dynamic...and this is only a little bit..) I am not going to try to record all of this as I would have to mic up my cab....and it's more of a "feel" thing..

Sorry guys...Didn't mean to cause the uproar.... In my particular application, I am running the Kemper Powerhead as just a regular amp pushing a Mesa Recto 4 x12. (I also use it for A LOT of direct recording which it excels and exceeds any and all expectations).. I do not us FRFR , or go through a PA system..This is strictly about live and loud with a band (Hard and heavy- high gain tones)..Other guitar player used a JCM 800 and a Splawn Hotrod through 2 4 x 12 cabs. I sometimes use my Kemper in this situation as the other guitar player...At significantly loud volume (Just through Guitar cab), there is a little bit of compression that occurs on the bounce of the low strings. My OP was just asking how to dial out some of this... It's ok if it's not perfect as the Kemper was not designed to be used this way, although it "allows" me to do it. I am getting plenty of "push & feel" through the guitar cab to remain inspired and sound good. I picked up the Kemper as an "ALL in one" head (Again- live and loud through a guitar cab, not PA or FOH)..I have learned that it will work, but not ideal. That being said, I think I wouldn't mind picking up a Marshall Cab and a little Fender cab (Jensen speaker) just to have to get some of those other classic sounds live. (Kind of like an inefficient /backwards way of using the Kemper). Maybe someday I'l be in a situation where I have to use in ear monitors and the House system, but until then, for live rocking with the band, I'm all about going through a guitar cab.

I have tried all of the nicer FRFR cabs out there (Mission, Friedman, etc..) and at lower volumes, they work great..At band volume (at least my band's volume) they sound awful and cannot push air or react like a guitar cab (As they are not designed to do so) I even tried 2 powered Mission cabs, stereo affect was cool, but just sounded like really good stage monitors...which are fine for some folks. Love my Kemper!

Sorry guys...Didn't mean to cause the uproar.... In my particular application, I am running the Kemper Powerhead as just a regular amp pushing a Mesa Recto 4 x12. (I also use it for A LOT of direct recording which it excels and exceeds any and all expectations).. I do not us FRFR , or go through a PA system..This is strictly about live and loud with a band (Hard and heavy- high gain tones)..Other guitar player used a JCM 800 and a Splawn Hotrod through 2 4 x 12 cabs. I sometimes use my Kemper in this situation as the other guitar player...At significantly loud volume (Just through Guitar cab), there is a little bit of compression that occurs on the bounce of the low strings. My OP was just asking how to dial out some of this... It's ok if it's not perfect as the Kemper was not designed to be used this way, although it "allows" me to do it. I am getting plenty of "push & feel" through the guitar cab to remain inspired and sound good. I picked up the Kemper as an "ALL in one" head (Again- live and loud through a guitar cab, not PA or FOH)..I have learned that it will work, but not ideal. That being said, I think I wouldn't mind picking up a Marshall Cab and a little Fender cab (Jensen speaker) just to have to get some of those other classic sounds live. (Kind of like an inefficient /backwards way of using the Kemper). Maybe someday I'l be in a situation where I have to use in ear monitors and the House system, but until then, for live rocking with the band, I'm all about going through a guitar cab.

yes, but all the characteristics of the power amp signature were captured in the profiling process and are part of the Profile, which makes it necessary for the power amp stage to be as linear as possible to deliver the authentic sound of the amp.

Sound is there. Tone is there (Sounds great) Just a bit digital and compressed ...The way the lower strings bounce. It's a very small gripe over all... With my particular application, I am not covering a bunch of different sounds or tones...just going for a few. I do not play into FRFR, I literally just use the Kemper as a regular amp for live (I use like 4-5 sounds)...The profiles I use are all based on high gain amps going through recto cab V30. Very close and inspiring in tone and feel...just a bit of compression -weird feel on the lower strings (Im beating this topic to death..) So the Kemper is very close, but just a bit different..going through the Recto cab gives enough feel and punch... Direct recording slays with this thing too..Doesn't need to be solved at this point. Thanks.

have you profiled your amp with the same settings (especially volume-wise) - the tube power amp will be having some effect at high settings, indicating that the 'bounce' you speak of is a result of compression, not a lack of.
    Judging by these statements you probably have to increase the Power Sag parameter if the Profile was taken at lower volumes.

Muudrock- Nailed it!! This explains very well exactly the issue I'm having... So, in short, it's ok...Kemper does all of these other things so well (too many to list..) , I just have to deal with a little bit of a different bounce/feel/slight compression when running into a guitar cab. Perfectly fine with this, and I've already made adjustments to compensate, so to speak. It's plenty inspiring. Thanks for all of the input. Now I will go work on my crappy playing technique! lol

are you making profiles of the amp you use as a reference?

I am only referencing 1 amp (My Boogie MK IV in particular)..BUT this holds true with any tube amp I've had over lately...Blackstar,Marshall, Diezel... I have profiled the Boogie, as well as has another Kemper user friend of mine also profile the amp (In case I did something differently..) I only use profiles that have been profiled with Vin30 or Recto cabs (That's what I use,) Same result.. This is a very specific (and small issue).. I have been getting closer with Pick attack adjsutments, true cab settings... I would say that The Kemper is able to nail it all ...except for this compression/bounce on the A & E string...I am going to keep messing with it... I just may have hit the "peek" of what it can do , and that's ok as it does so many other things that the Boogie can't do..Again, this is live and loud through a guitar cab, the direct recording sounds are great and I don't have the same issue going through studio monitors...

Yes...COnstantly refining and adjusting... Tried turning the gain down a bit...nope... I'm finding the issue on the bass strings (E, A, ) I'm tuned down 1 1/2 steps (dropped E to B) I'm having a bit of trouble getting that "Bounce" from these strings like on my Boogie..I've been able to get AMAMZING tone, just can't shake the compression on the lower strings.. I've messed with "Pick" & "Clarity"...backed off the gain, etc... I'll mess with the Sag..(I think I already have..)

If anything, a digital power amp is more linear dynamic-wise than a tube power amp.

Unless you use the built-in power amp at really, really high levels, pushing it into the soft clipping feature - but this only occurs in levels that are well above and beyond what can be called practical.

Try the Pick parameter and maybe even mix in a bit of dry signal.

Thanks for the advice... It actually is doing at low volume too.. I notice when I go back and forth between the Boogie and the Kemper.. I'm not getting it to "bloom" as much? I will try these suggestions

So this is specifically in reference to using the Powerhaed through a guitar cab (high gain) ..any where from practice to live band full volume... Getting a bit of compression on pretty much any high gain profile I use... It sounds good, just not as dynamic as my Mesa MK IV (I know it will not be exact, but getting close..) Somewhere in the attack of the lower strings,.... ANy suggestions..? I've tried turning the gain down a bit, but that's not the answer... Is this just a characteristic of the type of power in the Kemper?