Posts by StefanErtle

P.S. And yes some wishes need hardware upgrades but as Kemper has its own production and repair centre why not establish an upgrade center for those willing to pay for pro upgrades? In US British Audio already offers Stereo Mods and Ethercon mods (too far away from Germany). I would pay for an PoE/Ethercon, the remote as a guitar cable mod as well as the Kemper Pickups. It is like Apple one enclosed perfect eco-system.

I don't think a kempers cpu is big enough to make something like a pickup simulator. If that is what you want there are a few pedals like that but they are limited to a handful of pickups though.

Maybe an active PU would help. Therefore not all cpu must be used by the KPA. But I am whether an electric engineer nor an expert in PUs so just requesting wishes from a players perspective.

ad 8: I thought maybe the Expression Pedal Inputs might be usable with minor tweaks! If not I would even buy a new remote if possible. But not sure if audio can be transferred by a network cable.

ad 9: I meant a PU that can simulate the most popular ones on the market. Oftentimes I would love to have different PUs but way too lazy and stingy to go for new ones or use another guitar as I love to play my favorite one (the neck is my love). With this said a PU that is able to mimic an EMG81, a Seymour Duncan JB and with the next song a Vintage Single Coil for Strat sound would be awesome. So not an EQ to make everything sound the same rather an option to have more flexibility in sound but again not directly at the guitar itself but with a tip on a switch … but not sure if possible. So if wanted a certain PU can always give texture to a profile.

My additions:

1. PoE onboard
    2. Second Morph + separate morph for gain + separate morph for volume
    3. Automatic assigning of a fixed effect to an effect button no matter where it is in the effect slots (eg right effect button always for pitch, left effect button always for delay, …). Best would be a kind of „Live Mode“ where we are able to select general effect presets that will be added to a profile in the „Live Mode“ (kind of locking feature but with the opportunity to program and save those pedal board presets and apply them as wanted).
    4. The possibility to plug in my guitar into the remote (not a big fan of wireless systems but I love to have only one cable on stage). Anyway I would not mind a wireless Receiver being built in the Kemper.
    5. Bar-based Looper with longer recording periods and the ability to safe samples (for recording purposes of ideas that come up with certain profiles).
    6. Better effect-types and -settings regarding Flanger, Chorus, Tremolo and Phaser. Also consider more trigger options like pitch based altering and activations of effects (LFO, …).
    7. Input/Output:
      - Powercon
      - Ethercon right at the KPA
    8. Multi-Gain-Profiling (eg. having the possibility to „store“ different gain stages of the amp to reflect a more natural sound experience when altering the profile)
    9. A kind of adaption of my pickups to better fit the pickups used by the profilers. Oftentimes the sound is so different from any sound sample.

I am with you. For me RM is not really beneficial as I only use it for transferring rigs to my profiler. Furthermore no ability to program the remote … but another issue.
    I would like to backup not only RM but also the Profiler especially before an update. I think it would be user-friendly to implement a mandatory full-backup of RM and Profiler before this procedure to make sure you are able to rewind in case something went wrong or is/feels odd after update. It is basic I’m my opinion and way more useful than wireless stuff.

Well I also never reach the same sound with any profile. Eg the free Roadking Profiles of Guido Bungenstock that sounded outstanding in the profiling video sounded extremely different on my Kemper (bassy, muffled and spongy). So what is the trick?! I do not know. The same I experienced with the JTM Profiles. They sounded modest in my recordings and with such scooped sound I can never think of playing live and apart from being heard. So there must be some magic in the house. I think they sound better with my EMG81 compared to my Harry Häussel PUs that are amazing and my all-time favorites. Still married with a mid-boosting Studio-EQ in stomp X with a free Rectifier profile from TMS. I then also bought the TMS rectifier pack and was disappointed that I haven‘t even found the profile I love so much. So where did that come from ;0? Aliens…

I think bass itself ain‘t the problem. Bass is great with powerchords but palm mutes create way too much bass. I never experienced such benefit by only lowering the PU (apart from the point that I always do have such adjustment).

Variac guitars are the closest to this we have, they are really cool but they dont end up convincing, there is always something really off. If you put that processing power into the kemper, Maybe you cuould end up with a cool result. Maybe one day the ultimate kemper setup would be all kemper to have an accurate access to the most versatile rig in the planet.

I still want a real pickup but maybe it is possible to get a kind of flat one where Kemper knows the „EQ-Gain-Curve“ and therefore can compensate like with the Kone but from the beginning of the signal chain. Want an EMG81 no problem, want the neutral thing no problem, want a PAF no problem… also once splitting the humbucker they can imitate different single coils (Häussel, Kloppmann, …) then. Might be cool …

Whenever you change your monitoring system you need to re-look at your whole sound. FRFR sounds quite different to the Kone.

In other words, the Kone will sound different not instantly "better".

When I go back to FRFR I don't like it.

That is true. I like the Kone but from time to time I use my FrFr to make sure that the sound going to FOH still works. This is mainly directed to the level of effects. What pleases you via Kone does not necessarily please any else via FOH. Tricky it become but great from the view of monitoring.

I am rather in for Kemper Pickup that translates the guitar used for profiling better. I always wonder why not a single profile sounds the same with my gear. Maybe it is mainly the speakers used but knowing that the signal chain to the output section is the same would be a giant leap. Anything else then is adaption to the amplyfing territory. But that is only me.

Hi, Stefan, my ground Setup Would be exactly the Same☺️. So, you ordered a Custom „Thon“ case plus foam ? Did you cut the foam yourself ?

Greetings, Karl

Hi Karl, exactly. Thon Custom II plus something around 12€ for the foam. I used a „carpet knife“ for cutting it out. I hoped that Thomann would do that for me but they didn‘t. Anyway you can put the cables underneath and it fits quite nice. You can also reorder the foam.

Great idea. Already wanted to request the same. It’s mainly regarding palm mutes. Only up to 3dB would be sufficient.

Best if it could be baked into the amp section so I wouldn’t need a stomp for it!

Es ist wie beim normalen Amp, nur schlimmer. Jede Box klingt anders und FRFR bringt noch mehr Höhen.

Ich habe eine BlueAmp Spark FrFr, einen Kone im Spark Cabinet und habe bei einem Freund über eine Headrush (in meine Augen „Müll“ sorry) gespielt. Darüber hinaus habe ich BeyerDynamic T880 Kopfhörer. Im Prinzip kommt aus jeder Box was anderes raus und dazu kommt dann noch das Thema Raum dazu.
    Im Prinzip musst du immer mehrere Boxen durchtesten und was finden, was auf allen „gut“ klingt. Dann kannst du ja deinen Monitor Out noch etwas mit dem Output EQ tunen.
    ich habe selbst zwei Jahre lang gebraucht, bis ich mit einem ToneJunkie EQ-Preset und einem Rectifier Free Profile von TMS super glücklich geworden bin.

Letztlich ist es beim Mixen auch nicht anders. Da klingt mein Live Sound relativ übel. Wiederum geht der Recording Sound Live gar nicht (vielleicht mit 1.000 Watt Endstufe). Daneben klingt es auf verschiedenen HiFi-Verstärkern auch immer anders (zu viel Bass, Kick Drum schmerzt im Ohr, …). Mir hat der Kemper sehr geholfen, das Thema EQ viel besser zu verstehen und grundsätzlich ist meine Meinung, dass alle Profile mehr Mitten brauchen, um lebendig zu werden… aber auch hier ein individuelles Thema und ggf. gefällt niemandem mein Sound.

What I figured out is that many cabs are not neutral maybe that is part why many profiles might work on studio headphones but not on other cabinets/FRFR and there is a big difference in sound when playing live and when recording. basically drums sound so much different (more bass).

I personally would say (1) change your monitors, (2) try the software with a real FRFR that you would use live/in rehearsal and (3) use it if it still satisfies you.

I have very old recordings where I used a Zoom G3 or something from the Nineties/2000s and I was astonished how it sounds like.

I use a Neutrik NE8 FDX-P6. The main problem was finding an appropriate short cable from KPA to the Neutrik. It worked flawlessly with a shorter cable (5m). By time I bought a Cudy POE200. With that cable length doesn’t matter anymore and the lights are way brighter. I fixed the short cable to my rack so it should never give up that way.

Here's a concrete example of a company like Fractal taking things up a notch. I couldn't ever have dreamed this kind of stuff was possible. But it is.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The option itself was even there in the nineties at least regarding effects. The G-Force had such option. Eg. activate wha when pitch is beyond e“ or activate pitch shift when notes are below a‘. You could even tune Progression of expression pedals. Quite „simple stuff“. As the Kemper is already able to detect pitches and has transpose features etc. as well I always wonder why there is no pitch-based modifier yet available. I remember also the ADSR-modifiers with good old Rocktron times that seem to control the auto wah feature. I think Kemper should re-engineer the whole modifier scheme within the Kemper. I would also like to activate the morph feature by pitch. Sitar sounds on the high pitches and crude metal at the low strings. Apparently modifying gain with Kemper might be difficult as it is no real modeler. I hope that they go further into sound improvement of effects etc. after finishing the iOS-Wireless thing that at least for me is something really useless. I am a tone junkie not a smartphone nerd…