Looking for a Mesa V30 captured with SM57 & KSM313

• Not sure if anyone has a profile with a Mesa V30 cabinet captured with a SM57 & KSM313 Mix. Looking for that Petrucci micing technique. Would be amazing to have a Mark V profiled with those mics. I have Armin's Mark V as well as Andy's Mark V, but none of them were mic'd with these 2 mixed mics. I'd love to see commercial or free profiles done with a high end mic such as the KSM313.

any info would be appreciated.

• Let me be the annoying asshole to ask -
    do you need to know that it's been profiled with a KSM313, or would it suffice if the sound was close enough?
    Answer truthfully.

Then, if you already have a BFR JP7 with a Crunchlab and a Liquifire, some commercial studio profiles of a MarkV and some patience and still can't nail the tone... I'm afraid you're in a bit of trouble.
    The KSM is priced similarly to the R121, and the latter has a much bigger resume so it's far more common.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• My guess is the original poster is looking for a Petrucci tone.

There are many V30 cabs, including some of the Tils cabs, that offer a combination of an SM57 with a condenser mic.

If someone has a similar enough technique, the exact condenser mic and its placement will not be a dealbreaker.

BTW - It apparently wasn't always a KSM -

(from http://www.musicplayers.com/fe…006/0306John_Petrucci.php)

Originally Posted by John Petrucci
    "Well, I think I’ve found the secret, at least for me. I recently played a solo on Marty Freidman’s new record and I played a solo on Derek Sherinian’s new record just yesterday. In both instances I walked into the studio and told them I needed my cabinet and my head [Editor’s note: John used a Mesa/Boogie Road King head and Traditional Rectifier 4 x 12 cabinet] and two microphones, and got a guitar sound in five minutes. This is what I do. First of all, the cabinets are usually closed back, so there’s no need to mic the back. They have Celestion Vintage 30’s in them, and they’re the smaller Traditional Rectifier cabinets, not the big ones. I think the cabinet should be in a fairly big room. Anytime I’ve ever tried to put a cabinet in a closet or a small room, it just doesn’t sound right. There are too many weird reflections happening in that case. The speaker cabinet needs to have some sort of throw, like when it’s in a big room. You can put a baffle in front of it if you need to, like maybe ten feet out front, but otherwise I think it needs to breath, for whatever reason. I use a [Shure SM] 57 like this [Editor’s note: John showed mic position to be on axis, about an inch and a half radially outward from edge of dust cap in center of cone, close mic’d, almost touching grill cloth]. You never want to put the microphone in the center of the speaker; it’s just way too bright. Then you can fool around with how much off center you go. Obviously, the further away from the center you go, the duller the sound gets. Also, I use a Sennheiser MD421. That’s the second mic, and I position it the same way. You can either place it on the same speaker or on a different speaker. Then, you just blend the two of those. Usually, if you have two faders, the 421 is sitting below the 57. So the 57 is the basic sound, and the 421 is a little darker and it’s very fat."