[SOLVED] Compressor into Green Scream causes volume to drop

• This is with 2.0.1 firmware:

I have a rig with Compressor in A; Green Scream in B; and then the rest of the rig...

Compressor by itself produces a modest (noticeable, not extreme) volume boost.

Green Scream by itself produces a modest (noticeable, not extreme) volume boost.

Compressor *and* Green Scream together produces a significant volume *drop*. Needless to say, this is counter-intuitive.

Suggestions...?

• Similar issue here but without the compressor. Many of my profiles now have a gain/volume drop when engaging Green Scream in slot A. This occurred after the update to the latest firmware version. Strange.

• Both compressor and green scream could potentially drive the amp not only harder but also softer and this could result in lower gain.
    Can you check this?

Hmm... I'm not sure I understand your reasoning behind this. :S

Compressor provides a slight volume boost.

Green Scream is set to be dirty without the Compressor in front of it.

The Green Scream is followed by a low-gain amp (Fender Vibro-King from TAF).

If anything, engaging Compressor and Green Scream should simply push the Green Scream a bit harder, giving more dirt without a significant increase in volume.

The volume drop is dramatic when both Compressor and Green Scream are engaged. This isn't a too-much-distortion-sounds-quieter thing; there's a definite volume drop that shouldn't be happening.

• Similar issue here but without the compressor. Many of my profiles now have a gain/volume drop when engaging Green Scream in slot A. This occurred after the update to the latest firmware version. Strange.

That's interesting. I'll try a different overdrive and see whether that makes a difference.

• Solved, I think...

This was a perception issue, not a firmware problem...

The Compressor output seems louder because of the compression, but I had it set so that its overall output was actually lower than the input.

I raised the Compressor's output level. Problem solved.

• My problem remains. I'm using a graphic EQ as a boost and its set to 5dB. When engaged my signal looses gain and gets softer. Help!!! I'm at a gig right now with no solo boost. D'oh!!!

• In which slot is the EQ located? Output volume of the EQ is +5dB?
    This is odd then if it's located after the stack.
    In this case I'd send the rig or a backup incl. the rig to support.

It's on all rigs in slot A and has the same effect on all rigs. It's very odd. I haven't had the opportunity to really mess with it other than at the show last night (wife and two little girls). I'm going to play around with it some more but how do I send stuff to support? Any other suggestions? It did the same thing with green scream too.

• I realize this is an old thread, but just wondering if anyone has any further info…I'm having exactly the same problem and it's driving me nuts.
    I'm considering dropping the compressor completely as I can not get it to play nice in a simple compressor --> solo boost --> Green Scream fx chain and I've been trying for weeks.

• I realize this is an old thread, but just wondering if anyone has any further info…I'm having exactly the same problem and it's driving me nuts.
    I'm considering dropping the compressor completely as I can not get it to play nice in a simple compressor --> solo boost --> Green Scream fx chain and I've been trying for weeks.

Simple question here:
    The compressor should have no impact to the signal when Intensity is at zero. Now when you turn it up, it should compress - that means rising the low levels.
    Please check the "Volume" parameter of the compressor. Should be at zero (middle).
    What is your result?

• Hi Christoph.

To test this, I set the compressor stomp in slot A so that everything is at zero or (100% where necessary).
    There is a Clean Boost in slot B that is NOT enabled)

If the Compressor is the only stomp that is enabled, I can switch it on and off with no change in the tone or volume. (EXPECTED RESULT)

When the Compressor is OFF, the volume increases normally when I activate the Green Scream in Slot C. (it is set to gain = 2 and vol = +1.5) (EXPECTED RESULT)

If I then switch the Compressor ON, the volume actually goes down.. (Compressor and Green Scream are the only two slots active) (UNEXPECTED RESULT)

This is just an example of the headaches I am having with this simple fx chain. I am not able to reasonably predict what my overall volume will be with different combinations of these three, in some cases it is excessive volume increases, in others the volume goes down.

I have set my input sense for 4 different guitars and it happens with all 4 of them.
    I have tried a few different rigs with different gain and it happens with them. (rigs are purchased)

Thanks for your insight.

• I should have added that I am using 2.2.1 release

• Have you tried using Clean Sense to compensate? If you can successfully use Clean Sense to get the correct volume balance when toggling the stomps on/off, does that Clean Sense setting work well on other rigs where you are changing the amount of distortion?

• Have you tried using Clean Sense to compensate? If you can successfully use Clean Sense to get the correct volume balance when toggling the stomps on/off, does that Clean Sense setting work well on other rigs where you are changing the amount of distortion?

Hey meambobbo, the situation does seem to improve very slightly if I turn up clean sense, but by then my input is overloading a lot and so is the output on all my rigs.
    Clean sense on my guitars that I use in the KPA ranges from about -5 to -3. Distortion sense just under 0dB

Trouble is with using ears, they get fatigued eventually and you can't believe them!!!