Purchased Profiles Not Used Trading Policy

• Without a shadow of a doubt, the current "paid for" websites do not offer the opportunity to preview audio samples of the patches and are reasonably poor in design and information on profiles (To be fair it's gotten better recently but long way to go), which brings these problems to the forefront. I have bought some packs and have liked some profiles whilst finding others lacking. (A better website with comprehensive info and preview would encourage me to buy some more profiles for sure). I would do whatever you feel you want to with them, there are no ninja profile police about to swing through your studio window and kick yer head in. Making any kind of business model outta this is pretty naive to say the least and won't last as Kemper becomes ever more popular, five minutes with Google just now led me to the pack I paid forty quid to get, so as well as feeling a bit sick, it's all just slamming that stable door shut after the horse has bolted.

• That really is the best way to sum it up. It is an opportune market and will dry up as the internet fills with quality profiles that can be had for free. My intentions were to get ideas out there that can benefit the buyers and sellers alike by changing the market practices. Plain and simple.

• All I try to do here is to put things into some relation. Let me try a third way to put things:

Maybe you're living in the beautiful german town of Heidelberg and you're interested to try and buy a LazyJ amp. Pretty sure you will have to travel somewhere so you can try it and decide if you really want to purchase. Apart from the price of buying the real thing and potentially sitting on a waiting list for months, there's some cost and time involved to just see it, touch it, try it.
    Here in Kemperland you can save lots of time and trouble by just buying the LazyJ Bundle for a (relative) bargain which in most cases will be way cheaper than the above travel expenses.

How often would you go to a store to try an amp and leave without buying it? Would you even think about asking for a refund of your expenses or try to find another way to get back the money you spent for nothing? Ok, this might seem to be a bit exaggerated. But is it really so different?

Again, I just want to put things into perspective.
    For me, personally, the Profiler platform is like heaven.
    I can get as many amps as I want in no time and I don't have to sell wife, dog, kids & house (random order :D ) to 'own' them.

• The pick and choose method would definitely be a benefit. Buy 1 = set price.....buy X number (of your choice) = bundle price. It appears that there are many that feel the same way. Not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers just being open about why or why not to do it.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• They do as singles. The bundles are pre-bundled so you cannot mix and match ending with the same amount of profiles within the bundles but of your choosing.

• @lighthouse , you don't have to sell us on the benefits of the profile and kemper as most of us have already taken that stuff into consideration when justifying the cost of the kemper.

There is not much better than being able to hear what profiles can do right from home on the computer and knowing how well the recordings translate to live playing.

THe ideas here are just to make for more options for purchasing packs and bundles.

• This is not an attempt to get them to change whatever they wish to do. It's simply an attempt to trade with other people that have paid and do it above board.

• They do as singles. The bundles are pre-bundled so you cannot mix and match ending with the same amount of profiles within the bundles but of your choosing.

This would be nice. Forget the bundles. Do them for £X for an individual amp. If you buy 10 amp profiles of your choice you get a discount. Buy 20 you get a bigger discount or whatever.

I recently got a load from Andy - I'm very happy with them indeed but I picked singles from all the bundles. The amount I spent was the same as if I'd bought bundle 2..... In that, I would have got 25 different amp profiles. I ended up getting 18, but my thoughts were 'better to get 18 you really want than get 24 where you only want 9 of them......

This isn't me complaining - that is the way the site was set up at the time of purchase and I am happy with what I have bought. It's just feedback that, in an ideal world, I'd like the ability to build my own custom bundle and to recognise that a bit of discount for a bulk purchase that suits me would be nice.

On a wider issue, I would not consider ripping commercial profiles off - I've bought them using the T's & C's of the site and that is that. If I'm happy with the moral position of someone selling me a profile (which I am) then I have to morally accept that it has a value in the same way as any other digital media. It is the same, morally at that point, as ripping off a CD IMO. Just because you can doesn't mean you should ;)

If Kemper sort out the rig exchange such that it's easier to find the real gems (of which there are many I'm sure) then the commercial sites will have less business which will be a shame..... They are not expensive in the great scheme of things for the pleasure they give / convenience. At the moment, I don't have the energy to sort through 3000 free profiles on the rig exchange with little guidance - it is like a library where the books are all thrown in a big pile in the floor. A shame as some of the books will doubtless be on par or better than the commercial efforts. Faced with that, I'd rather pay a few pounds and get something I can easily find that I know will be good.

Gary

• When I would sell my Kemper amp: do I have to delete the commercial profiles? Could I sell them with the amp or sell them separately?
    I really hate all this digital right stuff. Same with e-books.

• When we were in our site redesign, we wanted to do the custom bundle option, unfortunately, the dev costs to get this implemented went through the roof, but we are researching a auto discount option, but it wont be anytime soon. Our limitation is our framework which we built the original design upon. Will things change for the better? Absolutely, but when is an unknown statement.

I'm always happy to hear of improvements we can make, and im always thinking new ideas when i can, the difference here is always a fight between actual devcosts vs return to make it justifiable.

I will not comment on the sharing of profiles.

A

• That is great to hear that you´re already working on such a thing :)

• Basically the fight between actual devcosts vs return is called enterpreneural risk. If a company does not meet the expectations of the customers.......

• of course.. but like any business, you have to vary the modal overtime. - needs time to adjust and grow, you never know what is the "asking" of customers, its something you discover over time. so you change, adjust and adapt... but like I said, you cant please 100% of people 100% of the time, there will always be a compromise somewhere. - if there wasn't, then life would be just too easy!

I normally work with the community, I have a forum setup so people can tell me what they want, Im never shy to ask, if then possible I try to deal with what I can, and when I can. - again, adapting!.

• I will not comment on the sharing of profiles.

Just to clarify we are not talking about sharing profiles. We are talking about trading a package that was paid for to another user that also paid for a package that just has no use for that specific set of profiles. Sharing freely is a completely different topic.

Appreciate the fact that you did chime in and also realize that you cannot be everything to everyone but do have an open ear to those comments.

When I would sell my Kemper amp: do I have to delete the commercial profiles? Could I sell them with the amp or sell them separately?

If you get rid of your Kemper you can either keep them on the box and sell as a bundle (removing from your computer) or take them off of the box and leave them on your computer if you buy again...basically to quote Highlander.."There can be only one" place they reside.

• "There can be only one" place they reside..

So it would be ok selling unused profiles out of a bundle?

I think we all really know the answer.. it would be wrong to sell or give or steal.. but it goes on all around the world.. Just use your own sense of pride, goodwill and morality..... and do the right thing...

Leg em down and yackem smackem

• I think we all really know the answer.. it would be wrong to sell or give or steal.. but it goes on all around the world.. Just use your own sense of pride, goodwill and morality..... and do the right thing...

That sums it up. Its the best advise for nearly any situation.

bd

• So it would be ok selling unused profiles out of a bundle?

My position as well as many others is yes. You bought it you can sell it.

I think we all really know the answer.. it would be wrong to sell...

Why would you not be able to sell something you bought? Logic fails me on this part of the statement.

This post has run its course. There have been many thoughts for the future of selling profiles and many having similar opinions on this topic.