Splawn Quick Rod - 1st Gear

• I've been spending all of my time with a Friedman Dirty Shirley lately, but the other day I had the opportunity to play one of those smooth-singing high gain leads and I ended up using one of my old Quick Rod profiles, and it was great. So I dusted off the QR and made a bunch of profiles, everything is the same except that I profiled it at various gain settings and I profiled it with both the Audix i5 and Shure SM57. The QR doesn't have numbers on the dials so I went with O'Clock settings, but, long story short, I had to go with 24 hour time, so 9:00 is 09oc, 1:00 is 13oc, 5:00 is 17oc, etc. This let me use the O'Clock method and the profiles are sorted correctly, low to high gain settings.

The profile names work like this:
    "QR-1st 11oc i5 BST" Means, QuickRod, 1st Gear, Gain at 11:00, Audix i5 mic, Boost On
    "QR-1st 17oc SM" Means, QuickRod, 1st Gear, Gain at 5:00, Shure SM57 Mic, No Boost

There are 36 profiles total so I put them in DropBox instead of clogging up the Rig Exchange.

Here is the link to the files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hecyyb97eqs8rjs/e6RggjlfFj

• Wow, you've been busy Tim. Cant wait to try them- owned that amp twice!

Seems we have the same taste in amps. I started profiling my Chupacabra - takes longer than what I thought- hopefully get some up soon. I think you'd like that amp.

• Just got through all these & jammed away. I owned this amp twice & can tell you these are spot on! I think I like the audio better on these but it's close. How are you mixing that 1x12 cuz it sounds really full?

• Just got through all these & jammed away. I owned this amp twice & can tell you these are spot on! I think I like the audio better on these but it's close. How are you mixing that 1x12 cuz it sounds really full?

Thanks badtoneno, but I'm not sure that I understand your question. I used either the i5 or the SM57, one at a time, and I ran the mic straight into the Kemper so there was no mixing going on.

• Gotcha, I meant more how you positioned the mic on the speaker- how far away and what position to the speaker? Your profiles sound better than what I'm pulling out of my amp- love the DS & the QR!

• Gotcha, I meant more how you positioned the mic on the speaker- how far away and what position to the speaker? Your profiles sound better than what I'm pulling out of my amp- love the DS & the QR!

Okay, sorry about that. The i5 was placed 1.5 inches away from the grill cloth and 1.2 inches to the left of the edge of the dome, the SM57 was placed 1.5 inches away from the grill cloth and 0.6 inches to the left of the edge if the dome. Both mics were on axis (straight). The cab is an Avatar Vintage 112 closed back and the speaker is a Scumback M75 65W 8 ohm.

• Thanks Tim- I have the same speaker in my Port City 1x12 so I'll give that a try. It is certainly working for you!

Right on! Please let us know how that turns out, I've thought about picking up a Port City cab.

For me, these are the best freebie sets we have. Especially the DS. Thanks

Wow, that is a real compliment, I appreciate it. I am enjoying this community as much as I am enjoying the KPA, it feels good to be able to give something back to the community.

• I think you'd like the Port City- biggest 1x12 I've heard. I'm still working on my profiling skills & hopefully will get some up this weekend of my Chupacabra & '72 Marshall 50 watt. I wasn't happy with the first batch after hearing yours! You've definitely given a lot back with the DS & QR- thanks so much!

• The i5 was placed 1.5 inches away from the grill cloth and 1.2 inches to the left of the edge of the dome, the SM57 was placed 1.5 inches away from the grill cloth and 0.6 inches to the left of the edge if the dome. Both mics were on axis (straight). The cab is an Avatar Vintage 112 closed back and the speaker is a Scumback M75 65W 8 ohm.

Hi Tim.
    Thanks for your profiles!
    I added the above information to this thread: show us your foolproof mic position(s)
    hope that's o.k. with you. :)