Using Stomps in Performance mode issues and suggestions (for a further update perhaps? :)

• Fellow Kemperians,

I've adopted Performance mode for a while now for one of my projects and I really like a lot of its functionality.
    However, there are still some issues I'm dealing with, specially concerning the use of stomps.
    The main problem for me - and I'm aware this might not be a big issue for everybody - is that although I do use performances, I still do a lot of live jamming.
    So, if I begin by using slot 1, for example, I might switch a bunch of FX on and then move on to another slot.
    The thing that bugs me though, is that, when I come back to slot 1 later on, the FX I used last are still engaged. You can understand that it can be pretty difficult to keep track of all the stuff you left on..

So, one solution is, of course, to lock the FX sections. This helps specially if not working with the UNO for Kemper, since your pedals will always light up according to the actual settings even when you switch slots, cause they're locked.
    BUT
    One of the main reasons to use Performance mode is to be able to have - for example - the same amp in different slots with different FX and stuff. So, basically, if you lock the FX, you're losing most of the performance mode fun...
    In my case, its a problem, because I switch between instruments as well, so even if I would keep the same FX, the settings of each stomp have to be completely different...

My first suggestion then, would be that performance mode should offer the possibility on choosing whether the FX remain engaged or not after switching slots, or whether the slot always goes back to default.

Even Better would be, for example, having the possibility of locking stomps (whole sections or individually) among different slots within a performance. In this way you could use one guitar with different amps , but the same signal chain activated - same fx on/off settings - in, say, slot 1, 2 and 3 and then have completely different settings in slots 4 and 5. So switching between 1, 2 and 3 will keep the locked FX in the same status when switching while switching to 4 or 5 will activate a completely different setup (for this purpose, it would probably make sense for the FX of 1, 2 and 3 to reset to their default on/off settings)

Ok, sorry for the long post. Just some brainstorming here. Still, I'm interested in knowing whether soe of you guys are havind similar issues and/or ideas for suggestions. (And whether the Kemper-gods might be listenin' ;) )

Cheerios,

David

• oops, just loaded Beta version 2.1 and it seems the thing with the returning to default FX has been adressed.
    :rolleyes:
    Anyway, still interested in the Slot-specific FX locking and other user suggestions!

• oops, just loaded Beta version 2.1 and it seems the thing with the returning to default FX has been adressed.
    :rolleyes:
    Anyway, still interested in the Slot-specific FX locking and other user suggestions!

Sorry, it seems to me that it worked as before, slot with variation of stomps remains coming back and forth.
    I have not tried via midi, do you mean this? While in edit mode the variation remains?

• Hmm... weird. In my case with the prior version if i used a slot with a clean setting, for example, and then turned on a dist pedal, the pedal would remain on even if I switched (Midi) to another slot in the meantime. With the new update the slots allways return to their default setting when changing via MIDI, which is makes more sense.

I guess the difference now is between Midi and manual switching though, the latter keeping the settings while switching slots within the same performance

Cheers

• I guess the difference now is between Midi and manual switching though, the latter keeping the settings while switching slots within the same performance

That's the way I'd want it to behave. Nice to be able to quickly move around in a performance and adjust the slots to play nicely together before saving the whole thing!

My midi switcher decides which stomps are on or off anyway. Are you sure it's not your controller this time? If you alter an effect (e.g. reverb level) will it not still be altered when you switch back to that slot with your controller?

• That's the way I'd want it to behave. Nice to be able to quickly move around in a performance and adjust the slots to play nicely together before saving the whole thing!

Agree!

My midi switcher decides which stomps are on or off anyway. Are you sure it's not your controller this time? If you alter an effect (e.g. reverb level) will it not still be altered when you switch back to that slot with your controller?

Nope, but that's how it's supposed to work according to the latest manual addendum:

"Whenever you recall a slot by MIDI, it will be loaded in its original state even if you left this
    slot with different settings e. g. Delay Mix last time
    ." (PAGE 6)

I'm cool with this, although you've got a good point there:What Midi board are you using BTW?

My controller(s) would benefit, of course, if the KPA would send Midi information. But we're still waiting for that one ;)