Unsure????

• Last night i was tracking a band and i was showing them the kemper which they loved and goin through some patches. I did notice this though.

At the moment i hock my KPA up via the main out (left only) to my Digi 192. As i was going through the patches ranging from dirty to clean i noticed that all my distortion profiles hit ProTools at around -12db but most of my clean sounds hit it at about -26 or less. Now i know if you are recording at 24bit its not really a problem, but then i tried to increase the main out volume to give PT more signal but it was on full and if i turned up the profile volume my output light on the KPA would clip.

I decided to look indepth at some of my clean profiles so see if they had the volume turned up on effects/cab volume etc which was making it clip but no they were all at 0.

This has just got me thinking have i got something set up wrong somewhere, how are other people finding their levels when tracking in DAW's

The guitar i was using was a PRS Navarro modal not the SE one and my Clean sens is at 0.8 and Distort sens at 0

any help, info tips tricks would be much appreciated

Thanks

• When the output clips, you have reached max within the KPA, for any output that is not attenuated (Master Volume does not affect the output metering.). You should lower the rig volumes to stay in the safe zone. If the output led is showing red, and the output you are using is not attenuated, then the signal coming from KPA's outputs are: XLR: +22 dBu, 1/4": +16 dBu, s/pdif: 0 dBFS.

To have the KPA's output leds go red at the point of overloading your audio interface, you need to not attenuate the output on the KPA, make sure the reference is the same (+4 dBu) and make sure headroom is calibrated identical on the interface. I wouldn't bother matching them exactly though 8)

How did you hook up to the 192?

If you turned the profile volume up did the output clip???

PS gigging at the flying dutchman sat night if ya wanna pop down :thumbup:

Yes it did !!!
    Might well pop down as on day shift at moment what time you start ? 9 ? A up the next at 05:30 for work :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• When the output clips, you have reached max within the KPA, for any output that is not attenuated (Master Volume does not affect the output metering.). You should lower the rig volumes to stay in the safe zone. If the output led is showing red, and the output you are using is not attenuated, then the signal coming from KPA's outputs are: XLR: +22 dBu, 1/4": +16 dBu, s/pdif: 0 dBFS.

To have the KPA's output leds go red at the point of overloading your audio interface, you need to not attenuate the output on the KPA, make sure the reference is the same (+4 dBu) and make sure headroom is calibrated identical on the interface. I wouldn't bother matching them exactly though 8)

How did you hook up to the 192?

used XLR to the balanced analog inputs on the KPA i think off hand ?(?(?(

• I came to this from just playing and trying to level my clean and distorion profiles so they were the same volume without clipping. CK have i done this wrong thanks for chiming in much appreciated :D

You said the clean rigs are softer than distorted. Increasing Clean Sense would balance this.
    The peaks of the clean guitar should naturally be higher than the distorted sound.

• Does the output led go red with every clean sound?

just increased my clean sense to 2.4 the input LED is flashing yellow/red but now my volume for clean rigs has to be dropped to -8.0 so the output LED doesnt clip

Just noticed all my distortion profiles clip the input LED if the clease sense is at 2.4 the red light is flashing on ocassionally now and the output LED stays green ?(?(?(

• Stop worrying about it, Raoul 8) It's the way it should be. Distorted sounds are heavily compressed and won't clip the output even when percieved loudness is way higher than for clean sounds.

You seem to have very hot pickups, but there's no law against that!

• just increased my clean sense to 2.4 the input LED is flashing yellow/red but now my volume for clean rigs has to be dropped to -8.0 so the output LED doesnt clip

Just noticed all my distortion profiles clip the input LED if the clease sense is at 2.4 the red light is flashing on ocassionally now and the output LED stays green ?(?(?(

I'm facing a similar issue. I was getting red flashes all the time on the input LED so I lowered clean sense. But after getting into a safe zone, with only the yellow LED flashing intermittently, my clean sounds are much quieter than the distorted sounds. This is with factory rigs. My output LED doesn't clip.

Is a simple adjustment of rig volume all that is required? ?( I wasn't sure, because I thought the Kemper Profiler normalises profiles to roughly the same volume level.