In Ear Monitors

• I have a love/hate relationship with my in ears. I have triple driver Alien ears...and they're GREAT for vocals, keyboards, even drums. But I can NEVER get the guitar to sound good through them. It's not just this particular brand...any time I've ever used in ears I have the same problem. I've tried micing, running direct, a blend of both and it never sounds good. It's most likely because the ears are not used to hearing a guitar speaker pushed against the eardrum. We are used to hearing our tone behind us...in space. Now before anyone says "well if it sounds bad in your ears, it sounds bad out front"...this is not the case. I've been out front and my tone sounds nothing like what I hear in the ears. The tone is massive, full and just right at FOH and have had sound men tell that too. I notice I play much better without them but obviously sing better with them in. Anyone figured out a trick to make it more bearable?

• An audiologist would take impressions (mould) of your ears and these would be used to manufacture the in-ear housing to perfectly fit in your ears. Much better fit than any standard plugs.
    The german term for these custom made ear plugs is "Otoplastik", so it might have been just a translation issue. :)

• I have a love/hate relationship with my in ears. I have triple driver Alien ears...and they're GREAT for vocals, keyboards, even drums. But I can NEVER get the guitar to sound good through them. It's not just this particular brand...any time I've ever used in ears I have the same problem. I've tried micing, running direct, a blend of both and it never sounds good. It's most likely because the ears are not used to hearing a guitar speaker pushed against the eardrum. We are used to hearing our tone behind us...in space. Now before anyone says "well if it sounds bad in your ears, it sounds bad out front"...this is not the case. I've been out front and my tone sounds nothing like what I hear in the ears. The tone is massive, full and just right at FOH and have had sound men tell that too. I notice I play much better without them but obviously sing better with them in. Anyone figured out a trick to make it more bearable?

This might not be the same but i plugged my ipod ear phones in my kemper the other night while practising turned the space effect on and it sounded awesome and thats on cheap ear phones. So i think id be OK with the sound of the guitar the thing that had worried me was having the full band mixed in them if they just would distort but from the feeling on here it will be ok :D

• An audiologist would take impressions (mould) of your ears and these would be used to manufacture the in-ear housing to perfectly fit in your ears. Much better fit than any standard plugs.
    The german term for these custom made ear plugs is "Otoplastik", so it might have been just a translation issue. :)

Oh!!! yes thats what im having done by a proper company so all should be well yippie :thumbup:

• These are the ones im currently looking at http://www.custom-inearmonitor…stom-in-ear-monitors.html

This otoplastics you guys keep refering to what is that, i typed it in google and got ear lobe correction lol????

Do you think these will be good :thumbup:

I've never heard of them and most musicians I know use Ultimate Ears, but they seem to be quite inexpensive compared to UE-11-Pros and similar ones.

I just can say that the UE-11-Pros really sound well and the KPA sounds great, too. Compared to many cheaper in ears the UE-11-Pros have a lot of bass and like I already said a very detailed resolution.

If you already have an excellent audiologist for the ear-impressions that's already 50% ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• I've never heard of them and most musicians I know use Ultimate Ears, but they seem to be quite inexpensive compared to UE-11-Pros and similar ones.

I just can say that the UE-11-Pros really sound well and the KPA sounds great, too. Compared to many cheaper in ears the UE-11-Pros have a lot of bass and like I already said a very detailed resolution.

If you already have an excellent audiologist for the ear-impressions that's already 50% ;)

Been reading reviews of the 1964 ears and people give them good reviews. The other ones I've thought of are the JH audio. Who was the guy who started Ultimate Ears

• guenterhaas Are you using the 11-pro's with or without the ambient feature? I'd like more ambient sound in my ears, not quite so isolated at times. just wondering your perspective. Thanks

I'm using it without the ambient feature, but I never feel isolated. Too much audio from outside will interfere with the in ear-quality, I know some musicians who bought the 11-pro's-ambient, but they all are using them closed like the normal version.

The most important thing are perfect ear-impressions, if they're done very well you will be able to hear a little bit from outside and you won't feel isolated, even if they fit perfectly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• That's great that you're getting to demo these out. Will you be able to try the JH Audio units next to the 1964 (which seem to be your top contenders if I'm reading this right)? Give the Westone ES5 a try if you can as well. I for one would love to hear your thoughts after you get to demo them...

Whatever you decide, I think you'll be pleased with the IEM experience.

That's great that you're getting to demo these out. Will you be able to try the JH Audio units next to the 1964 (which seem to be your top contenders if I'm reading this right)? Give the Westone ES5 a try if you can as well. I for one would love to hear your thoughts after you get to demo them...

Whatever you decide, I think you'll be pleased with the IEM experience.

Yep I can demo Weston, 1964 ears, JH and a load of others as well its gonna be interesting hearing the difference. Tonite again I was playing my KPA through my iphone ear phones and it sounds great through them so god knows how good its gonna sound with high quality proper in ear head phones really can't wait I'm like a kid at Xmas lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• My band had their demo session yesterday so we could try out aload of IEM's. We tried JH audio's the whole range along side the 1964's We all prefered the 1964's. Price wise this seemed a no brainer as well as the 1964's are in a better price bracket. I personally went for the 6 drivers per ear 1964's while my drummer and bass player went for the triple drivers in each ear by 1964's because they were more in their price range. But they did both say that the 6 driver ones sounded better.

the 1964's are nearly half the price of the equivalent JH ones and we just felt the 1964's sounded better :D

• My band had their demo session yesterday so we could try out aload of IEM's. We tried JH audio's the whole range along side the 1964's We all prefered the 1964's. Price wise this seemed a no brainer as well as the 1964's are in a better price bracket. I personally went for the 6 drivers per ear 1964's while my drummer and bass player went for the triple drivers in each ear by 1964's because they were more in their price range. But they did both say that the 6 driver ones sounded better.

the 1964's are nearly half the price of the equivalent JH ones and we just felt the 1964's sounded better :D

Our bassist got a pair of quads from 1964 then ended up getting a remold + 1 driver from Inearz. Check out the review

http://www.head-fi.org/t/66822…ed-and-modified-by-inearz

I pieced together our new IEM rack.

[Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/hmLJewo.png]

It's based around a MOTU 828mk3 and Cuemix Fx. It lets us route 8 seperate stereo mixes, all controllable from our iphones or ipads. EQ, compression, reverb, levels all from the ipad is awesome! Though we've maxed out the DSP. Something like a RME UFX ($2200!) or a Behringer x32 rack when it comes out would be a better choice. the x32 is limited to 16 channels unless you get the digital snake box that is another...900?

24 inputs. Amps change automatically via MIDI, programmed light show thanks to DMXIS. Our other guitarist is in the process of getting a kemper and the PSA is for bass. The two racks will be linked via DB25 cable.

When guitars need extra sound support, we've got the EH magnum 44 power amp pedal. I played through it once against a IIC+ and the Magnum was PLENTY loud.