Input too hot after 2.1.1 update + Kemper unable to retrieve filesystem info

• My low gain patches are sounding super distorted all of sudden following an update to 2.1.1.8823. This is, I believe, on account of a suggestion made to Mr CK about profiles losing some of their grit after input levels were trimmed in the previous release. Reference, this thread: 1.5.0 vs. 2.1.O sound -are you enough brave to go back to 1.5.0 ???

But while 2.1.1 seems to work well for distortion, I found that even low gain factory patches seem to have been bumped up, such as TAF's wonderful Floydish and Go Jimmy Go profiles. Adjusting distortion sense seemed to help slightly, but then high gain patches sounded weak.

Also, after the update, I found that patches suddenly seemed more fizzy as well too, which was a bigger problem.

Was reading through this thread where people had a similar problem and found that a system reset might help. But that didn't work. After that, I was planning to do a flash memory wipe (Init Flash). When I came to the init flash screen, I found something extremely disturbing:

[Blocked Image: http://imageshack.us/a/img11/9424/84tl.jpg]

I have no idea what that implies, but I'm sure it's super bad :S

I went ahead and did the flash and it said the operation was successful. After that, I reloaded the factory rigs and hoped for a miracle.

And it seems to be exactly the same :S

It should be noted that I'm playing in A# tuning, so I do expect a bit of additional low end and chug from my guitar. But this seems excessive. Almost like the gain is dimed even on lower gain patches. A bigger problem is the fizz that seems to crop up even in low gain patches. I'm not sure this is just my ears overreacting. I'm able to dial it out with a little EQing, but it sure didn't seem to me like the Kemper needs that to sound transparent.

Need some guidance on what I need to do asap please. Are sound clips required?

• Boy, am I kicking myself for doing that init flash. I read that it was only necessary with earlier firmware and is no longer a solution for anything :(

My Kemper is working, but my main concern is that I might not be getting the accurate sound of the profile. I put together a short clip to demonstrate what I mean. The profiles used are:
    1) TAF-Go Jimmy Go
    2) TAF-Floydish
    3) Mr Sandman
    4) KM-Thrash

https://soundcloud.com/the-twilight-escape/01-1

• Version 2.10 had a problem with gain. That is fixed in 2.1.1
    We have no reports that any other aspect of the sound has changed.

A flash init has never solved sound issues at any point in time.

• Yeah that´s wright - after updating to 2.1.1 everything is sounding like it did before. The issue related to preamp gain, which was slightly lower in 2.1.0 in comparison to previous versions is definitvly fixed.
    Did you try to adjust the clean/distortion sense value?

Play it like you mean it.

• Version 2.10 had a problem with gain. That is fixed in 2.1.1
    We have no reports that any other aspect of the sound has changed.

A flash init has never solved sound issues at any point in time.

Thanks, Mr CK. I'm getting super cool distorted sounds and nice cleans too. Even in-between crunch tones come along nicely.

Maybe my issue is psychosomatic. In my case, I made the jump from V1.82, which is what my Kemper Amplifier came pre-loaded with, and upgraded to 2.1. So perhaps this would explain the sudden cognitive dissonance vis-a-vis my initial experience with the Profiler.

I think the major issue I'm having is correlating the sounds in the "Floydish" and "Go Jimmy Go" factory rigs to what I *think* the profile will sound like. They probably deserve a better application than what I'm trying to use them for at present :thumbup:

I hope the message in that image "Unable to retrieve filesystem info" is just punishment for venturing into areas that I should not and there's nothing wrong with my unit :whistling:

• Yeah that´s wright - after updating to 2.1.1 everything is sounding like it did before. The issue related to preamp gain, which was slightly lower in 2.1.0 in comparison to previous versions is definitvly fixed.
    Did you try to adjust the clean/distortion sense value?

Yes, I did, but I think I need to examine my settings more closely. WS, you would have the same factory profiles I mentioned. Are they significantly different from the soundcloud clip I posted? Would appreciate some kind of confirmation in that regard. Cheers. ^^

• Actually I´m having exactly the same symptons you have experienced: Most profiles I use are much louder than before AND I´m getting a lot more Fizz! And this is really, really annyoing! :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:
    So can you explain to me, how your issue is solved?! Because mine is def. not!

I´ll try a system reset tonight and then upgrade to 2.1.1 but I´m not really expecting sound haven out of this method!

Cheers in advance!

Update: I´m running 2.0 atm and after system and rig reset I like the sound I´m getting right now. I will NOT upgrade to 2.1.1 though, because I have a gig in 3 weeks and I like to put my time into practicing and not fiddling around with my gear! 8)

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you´ve got it made!
    Groucho Marx

Edited once, last by Berglmir ().

• WS, you would have the same factory profiles I mentioned. Are they significantly different from the soundcloud clip I posted? Would appreciate some kind of confirmation in that regard.

Hey nightlight, there are significantly differences from the soundcloud clip you have posted to the sound of the same profiles at my studio monitors with my guitar, but I´m shure that this is because we are using different guitars with different PU´s. I have an Ibanez RG550 build in 1987 with normal tuning, it seems to me that you have a guitar with modern high output Pu´s or a Les Paul type guitar with dropped tuning, my stringset is 038-008, I´m shure that you use thicker strings than I do.
    I have two equal guitars, they are sounding different with the same profile...It´s all unique.

• Interesting! Did you update sequentially, as in each new update after the other? I just updated directly by copying the latest OS firmware. Wonder what the recommended method is...

• Hey nightlight, there are significantly differences from the soundcloud clip you have posted to the sound of the same profiles at my studio monitors with my guitar, but I´m shure that this is because we are using different guitars with different PU´s. I have an Ibanez RG550 build in 1987 with normal tuning, it seems to me that you have a guitar with modern high output Pu´s or a Les Paul type guitar with dropped tuning, my stringset is 038-008, I´m shure that you use thicker strings than I do.
    I have two equal guitars, they are sounding different with the same profile...It´s all unique.

That makes sense. It's an Ibanez RG1820X with Wilde Bill Lawrence pickups and I'm using .13-.58. I think the "problem" is that I'm trying to use that guitar to get vintage sounds, doh :pinch:

Thanks for the tip!

• Vintage sounds..... hmmm, more a thing for Strats or Paulas, Teles a.s.o.
    Even if you play via an amp the sound is will be very different for, I´m shure this is not the fault of the KPA - on the contrary, it responses exactly what is coming via the input.

• Guys,

I just updated to 2.1.1 from 2.0 beta(I think) and I'm getting the same problem. I'm a metal player and most of my hi gain profiles now seem harsh and have a higher treble sound and feel, maybe fizzy is the word. I dont know why but they do not sound like they used to. Now maybe thats because on the previous firmware the gain was lower and I was used to that but now I am finding alot of my favorite profiles sounding harsh and fizzy and it's got me pretty bummed.

• Hello Victor,

I think the big problem is that 2.0 was a firmware, which sounded not like all other FWs did - a little bug in the input section was the reason.
    Now it is fixed in 2.1.1 - if you did all your sounds with 2.0 they will sound different, maybe an adjustment of the gain settings will help.
    There exits a thread about this problems: Here (Take care at posting #48 & #55)
    Hope this will be helpful!

Edited once, last by WS ().

• Thanks WS - So the latest firmware that bug is fixed and what I hear is the true accurate sound of my profiles? I guess now my ears just have to adjust to this slightly harsher tone in my hi gain profiles. I guess I can turn the gain down and fiddle with presence, highs and see if I can dial out some of the harshness.

Hopefully I'll get used to it.

Thanks.

• ^^It would be kind of cool if Mr CK gives us the option to use the "buggy" input section. VictorRattlehead, do you use high gain pickups? Maybe this is why you preferred the lower gain structure of the input section. I find that my profiles are no longer equalised in terms of volume, which is sad, though I just have to lower the volume and store.

• ^^It would be kind of cool if Mr CK gives us the option to use the "buggy" input section. VictorRattlehead, do you use high gain pickups? Maybe this is why you preferred the lower gain structure of the input section. I find that my profiles are no longer equalised in terms of volume, which is sad, though I just have to lower the volume and store.

Correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I understand, the lower gain in the input section could have been fixed by raising the distortion sens by +2 . If that is correct, just lower the distortion sens and you are back to what the 2.1 FW was like?!

• I must have missed that bit of information, thanks, Why I mentioned the option to have the "buggy" (quote unquote) input settings is because I noticed we could store multiple input settings and access them by turning the browse knob. So it would be quite simple to access the lower gain input settings. Not necessary if we just need to reduce our distorted sense settings by 2.

I've been trying to raise my clean sense so that I can bring my clean profiles to the same volume as the distorted ones, but find I have to have to set it flat in order to avoid clipping.

Could just be the heavy strings I'm using, too much bass and they bounce around like crazy. Only 5 days of Kemper time, so apologies for all the fuss, just want to make sure I get it set up right at the start ^^