Kemper gig report

• Well, the Kemper went to its first gig with me last night, and it was, in a word, AWESOME! :thumbup:

I brought up my rig, which was the KPA toaster, Crown rack power amp, and my FRFR wedge (a Fender PA main/monitor). I had tweaked FRPC's Bogner XTC Red profile for my own use, and it sounded truly amazing. I also had lots of effects programmed, all controlled via footswitch in Performance mode with the FCB1010 w/Uno4Kemper chip. Wow, what an incredibly flexible gig rig, with tones that no other gear can touch.

I knew the soundman at this venue - he owns a studio, and we have recorded some demos there. He was a little confused as he saw me set up my rig, and first asked me if I wanted to mic the wedge. I told him I'd prefer to go direct, and pointed at the KPA. Once he saw it, the soundman smiled and said, "Cool. Those Kempers are awesome." :thumbup: He unplugged the mic that the previous band had used to mic the guitar cab, and I plugged in the XLR cable into my Left Main Out.

When we did our soundcheck, I noticed the soundman had a LOT of my guitar coming through the monitors. However, the EQ sounded weird - it didn't sound much like my speaker does, which I know has a pretty flat response. In hindsight, I realized he probably had the EQ set for heavy mids (reverse mid scoop) for mic-ing guitar cabs. I should have asked the him to completely flatten the channel EQ, but we were in a rush to get going (like always, it seems), so it didn't occur to me. I just asked him to turn me down some in the monitors, and I turned up my wedge volume, and I was in tonal heaven.

The gig went great, and the Kemper and FCB1010 worked flawlessly. I loved the Kemper before. Now that I've gigged with it, I have less than zero desire to ever gig a tube amp (or any other amp) again. KEMPER FTW!

[Blocked Image: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2811/10104294523_2aeb87196b_c.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2847/10104274516_95ab87c26d_o.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3756/10104198694_cee6819e51_o.jpg]

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

Edited 4 times, last by Desiato ().

• Thanks, guys. It was a great gig.

Sorry I couldnt make it (had to work till 9) Sounds like all went well. :thumbup:

No problem - we'll see you at our next show!

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

• Congrats, looks like a great gig.

Excellent photos as well!

Thanks!

I'll pass on your compliment to our band photographer (my 16 year old son) :thumbup:

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy