BDS - kipr Manager teaser

• Thanks again guys for your encouraging support. :thumbup:

Would like to make a note, that this would have been much harder without the inspiring work of the user trebie on the kipr tag editor. Whenever this goes live I fully intend to give him a percentage of sales. Let me know if you see this, otherwise I will send you a pm.

For all you mac guys, I won't be able to port the application in time for the first release (if I want to release it before the end of the year... :pinch: ). I promise I will start working on it as soon as I have a stable beta version out, while it is being tested. Another option would be to find someone who has experience developing Mac (mono) applications and is willing to work with me on this one. Drop me a line if your interested.

Cheers,

• Looks Sweet ! I am willing to pay too .

I would love some additions :

- Being able to attach a JPEG to each KIPR , that way we could put a photo of the amp, (that would envolve having a space on the view for it , wouldnt need to be a large area ).
    -Having a Text box for us writing our notes on the particular profile
    -Being able to attach a Wav , mp3 file and play it, for demo purpose .

These informations would reside on the user computer , so a link to between the KIPR and these additions would need to be created on the navigation area, without confliting with the other librarian functions.
    This would help us selecting profiles . And would give a great user "Senses" satisfaction , eyes and ears would love it .

:thumbup:

• Do not forget the first free tag editor (PC and Mac) that was released Saturday, July 14th 2012 (search for "Profiler Rigs Tags Editor" thread , in Introduce Yourself section of the forum, currently on page 4)

Totally right Laurent!. My apologies for the omission. At the time I joined the Kemper party the other version was already available, so my bad here for forgetting the roots. :)

- Being able to attach a JPEG to each KIPR , that way we could put a photo of the amp, (that would envolve having a space on the view for it , wouldnt need to be a large area ).

-Having a Text box for us writing our notes on the particular profile

-Being able to attach a Wav , mp3 file and play it, for demo purpose .

It will support custom tags (that will include a large text field for writing whatever notes you want against a profile).

Attaching a sound file is on my todo list, just not sure if it will make it for release 1.

Will add the amp image to the todo list (but what about effects, stomps... ?( )

• Hey - very good job on the UI!

Too bad this is another windows first project.

If you don't mind my asking:

Are you using the KPA_TAG_Editor developed by Laurent (GuyTarero), Waraba others to extract the data from the backup and later import it into to your "database"? Just wondering, because that is what I have been doing while trying to find a suitable database front end for the MAC.

In that case you should be aware, that an essential part of your routine is non-commercial open source code granted to the free use of this boards members generously.
    If you "crack" the tags from the profiles yourself, then please forget, that I ever asked.

I have been searching for "database front ends" on the Mac for a while - first and foremost a RAD-Tool that will give me easy access to data-forms and that would come with a 4G Language or a decent class-library. Not much going on unless people would be willing to pay for distribution licenses - which I don't see as an option, esp. since the mothership will provide a librarian at some point..

There is a small footprint database called iDatabase that is capable of importing the Tag Editors output file (csv). You can later sync that with your iPhone (if you like). It has a simple search and provides a record view (one page per profile) however it is very limited regarding customization and comes with no programming interface at all.

I found a "Tweener" (Spreadbase/Datasheet) tool called Panorama sheets that will open up your csv in an Excel like view. It is very fast and has a powerful search, however as it is meant as a smaller spreadsheet version of the database Panorama - it does not provide a record view.

Filemaker to go - another small scaled product - comes with form designs and some capabilities in this area - however the csv import is taken away and must be done through filemaker pro.

I have also been looking into a workaround for Evernote, but there is no database functionality there, but it might become a decent way to keep track of backups.

Other solutions like 4D or Filemaker require developer licenses - which I would be willing to buy, but they also require a runtime license fee for the user by the time of distribution - which I consider not wanted in this case.

I am willing to share my knowledge (database design, UI, ...), but I won't spend countless hours on coding thousands of lines for a temporary rig database app.
    Anyone any ideas? Please PM me.

Good luck with the windows UI - it looks very pleasing - i just won't return to Windows OS because of your tool.

Hendrik

90% of the game is half-mental.

• Some suggestions from a laiman (I really don´t know if that stuff is even possible to do):

My thoughts were to maybe make something similar to "Steam" (if you´re familiar with it) out of this. Basicly a Steam but instead of games with Rigs on it - maybe a direct link/connection with the rig exchange so people can download their rigs right with this manager. Maybe even some inter-conectivity between users of the application. I hope you know what I mean.

• If you don't mind my asking:

Are you using the KPA_TAG_Editor developed by Laurent (GuyTarero), Waraba others to extract the data from the backup and later import it into to your "database"? Just wondering, because that is what I have been doing while trying to find a suitable database front end for the MAC.

In that case you should be aware, that an essential part of your routine is non-commercial open source code granted to the free use of this boards members generously.
    If you "crack" the tags from the profiles yourself, then please forget, that I ever asked.

Hendrik (and for everyone else) I would like to clarify this (sorry for the jargon):

The application I am developing is a WPF application (.NET), developed in C#, with telerik user controls (I am a licensed developer) and using SQL Server Express as the backend.

The tag editor applications that are elsewhere available in the forum, developed by Laurent and the others are python scripts, based on an open license generic midi (kipr files are just midi files) file reading/writing tool.

I have looked at the scripts as a reference and as I have posted before I give credit where its due.

Now even if I wanted to, there is no way of porting python scripts to c# code directly. I actually searched for a generic midi c# library that would give me a starting point and surprisingly couldn't find anything very useful. So I have actually written one from scratch.

The only thing reused from the tag editor scripts were the labels for the rig tags, cause I was lazy to type them again :whistling: .

I am glad you asked and hope that this post clarifies this subject.

Now regarding the possibilities for a MAC version, I would like to thank you for your background info and suggestions. I do not have experience developing for the Apple OS platform and this is the main reason I am doing a windows version first, so I cannot provide much input on what would be the best option. If someone is willing to develop it I am more than willing to share my source code, notes and help out in any way I can, while let him/her take full credits for the app (and financial benefits).

Another option might be to host the backend on a cloud service (my website is already hosted on the Azure platform) and have the Apple version be just a thin client. The obvious downside to this would be the need for an internet connection to access the database. Not the end of the world these days, but can be a pitfall. Again as I said my experience with developing for the Apple platform is very limited so I am not the best person to make this decision. If no one is willing to do it I will gladly look into it as soon as the Win version is rolling.

My thoughts were to maybe make something similar to "Steam" (if you´re familiar with it) out of this. Basicly a Steam but instead of games with Rigs on it - maybe a direct link/connection with the rig exchange so people can download their rigs right with this manager. Maybe even some inter-conectivity between users of the application. I hope you know what I mean.

This will be done with all rigs that are hosted in my website. I cannot host any rigs that I do not have express permission for from the creator.

I would love to be able to tap into the official Kemper repository, but since they are developing their own application I have a feeling they will not be keen in allowing me to do so. Maybe if we all ask really nicely? Mods? Mr Kemper? Any chance of this happening? :)