Emg 81

• Anyone got any tips on recording with the 81..

I seem to get weak sounding results, and proper recordings get mean screaming tones..

If someone with experience could give me a few tips please :)

thanks

steve

Leg em down and yackem smackem

• without all the info nakedzen asked for it´s hard to give any real advice. The only thing that can be said at this point is that the 81´s are very defined and hot pickups with great definition in the high end and a solid bottom end - however they are not as warm as other metal pickups. So that has to be taken into consideration when choosing and tweaking the profile. But again - you´ll need to give us some more info about pretty much everything

• without all the info nakedzen asked for it´s hard to give any real advice. The only thing that can be said at this point is that the 81´s are very defined and hot pickups with great definition in the high end and a solid bottom end - however they are not as warm as other metal pickups. So that has to be taken into consideration when choosing and tweaking the profile. But again - you´ll need to give us some more info about pretty much everything

i'm just asking a General question... we know how EMGs sound.. just wanted to know if there is some well known mixing/mastering tweak that most people do with these Pickups..

• i'm just asking a General question... we know how EMGs sound.. just wanted to know if there is some well known mixing/mastering tweak that most people do with these Pickups..

Well for starters I´d go with the "Triangle" (at least thats what my studio-friend told me). It basicly means you put in a high and low cut and then boost the mids because (and thats why some of the stuff nakedzen asked would be nice to know) depending on how thick your strings are and how close your pickups are to the strings, string gauge etc. the mids get a bit neglected with the EMG´s, that might be one of the things that make them not as "warm" as other metal pickups.

• I have one guitar equipped with a EMG81 and never had any issues when using it with the Profiler.

Check your battery. ;)

when I use passives it sounds different than EMGs as everyone knows.. some hate them, some love them... hence the question 8o

• Well for starters I´d go with the "Triangle" (at least thats what my studio-friend told me). It basicly means you put in a high and low cut and then boost the mids because (and thats why some of the stuff nakedzen asked would be nice to know) depending on how thick your strings are and how close your pickups are to the strings, string gauge etc. the mids get a bit neglected with the EMG´s, that might be one of the things that make them not as "warm" as other metal pickups.

Thanks, yeah I'm trying these things too, but too much in the mids makes them sound a little like cardboard :)

• Why not just supply the information asked for so that the guys can give some objective advice? :?

This is just beating around the bush and makes the thread pointless.

PS.. if the thread is ruining your day, please go and read something better... no one forced you to reply to this

• JESUS... forget I asked the Fkin question!!!

Because it's simply impossible to figure out your issue and come up with a solution to it without knowing those things?

Short answer, there is no "magic frequency" for the EMG 81. Or any other pickup for that matter. ;)

What woods your guitar has and if it's bolt on / neck through will change the tone enough to make it impossible to give any general advice regarding one specific pickup, and once you count the difference your amp and cab + mic will make on the tone..

The best solution would be to post a sound sample and tell us what you think sounds wrong with it.

• Hey short-temper-guy,

like nakedzen said, these are basic questions and steps in order to know why your sound sucks.
    What you do not seem to understand that there is no general answer to a question like that.

Also post a sample of your recordings because the term weak results could mean anything sonically.

But you've asked for tips, so here we go:

1. Cut the low freqs
    2. at least double your guitars and they have to be tight
    3. use new strings or at least not totally old ones
    and the most important thing ... don't troll duderino

• I'm not trolling.. again, asking questions is causing annoyance and sarcasm from others.. why.. you know more than me..and it's ok for others to troll me :) hey.. anyway, thanks for your advice, thats what I was looking for... had to force it out though :) ... I was born in Berlin, so be careful, we share the same geographic short temper :)

• I must admit I'm not perfectly sure what your question is...

a short sample of the sound you're having issues with would really help.

thanks.

I was Just wondering if EMG's were mixed differently than passive pickups. A lot of people hate them for this reason and for other reason.. so I wondered if there was a general format for mixing when using EMGs

• I'm not trolling.. again, asking questions is causing annoyance and sarcasm from others..

There's no sarcasm or annoyance, at least not from me. :)

Giving any real advice with the information you've made available is just not possible. I mix EMG's the same way as any other pickup.

If you told more about your setup maybe we can come up with a solution to what is causing the thinness you're experiencing.

• OK everyone.. I'll just swear at home here about my recording.. :)

https://soundcloud.com/stevoe/soundcloud-critic

Hellraiser, EMG 81

there's what I typically get.. lasses profile "mean bastard" eq flat... output to scarlett 8i6 focusright... Reaper
    only added one eq to both tracks and only removing freqs from each end... mids are the same..

can't seem to get anything near what Im hearing from other users here.. Fluff has some amazing recordings form the Kemper.. I think I need more advice on recording rather than EMG advice...

It sounds better through my computer speakers as they have the usual added eqs. and worse through studio monitors.. flatter anyway

Thanks for listening to me whine today :)