me am Bobbo's Quick Tips for High-Gain Tones

• Ok, I'm going to start compiling a weekly (maybe bi-weekly) release around a particular amp. I can only repost free patches from the RE. For those I get outside of RE that are free, I will ask for the author's permission. For commercial profiles, I will submit my tweaks to the original authors and hopefully they will include them in those bundles - it certainly can't HURT them to include MORE profiles in their bundles that I am providing to them for free.

For me, the most difficult tone to dial in has been a really tight Mesa Mark (II, III, IV, V - I don't care - just make me sound like John P already). The tightest one I found was Steph. L's Mark IV's, but they use the Green Scream to get their tightness, and it definitely adds a TS sound which is NOT what I want. I like to use EQ instead - more transparent and more control. Also I find a lot of the free ones the authors tried all kinds of crazy crap with the amp profile parameters which pushes them away from the sound of a real amp IMO. Simply restoring defaults and using a bit of EQ works wonders.

So I'll shoot for early next week to compile my best Mesa Mark profiles. Most of these use a preset I call "EQ mab Boost". I will upload the preset at some point, but here are the basic settings:
    Low Shelf: -12 db @ 80 HZ - cuts all the mud out without leaving the tone too thin
    High Shelf: +2 db @ 1000 HZ - a light treble boost to get more high frequency harmonics
    Mid 1: +6 db @ 600 HZ w/ default Q - a nice midrange boost that keeps all the treble boosts in balance and warms up the tone, but doesn't get into muddy territory
    Mid 2: +3 db @ 2000 HZ w/ lowered Q - a wide treble boost that brings out the searing djenty distortion but is still too low on the spectrum to get into the splatty, crackly breakup that destroys a singing lead tone

Unfortunately my favorite ones are commercial releases from the Amp Factory and Pete Turley. But I will give "blanks" for those, where I change the amp/cab profiles to something free. The rig name/tags will stay the same, so if you buy either pack, you can easily swap in the amp/cabs. Others that I will feature are DJEMASS, MillA, Bjorn Gottfridssen (spelling?), Thumas, and Steph. L. There's probably more.

Then I just play with mix and make slight adjustments. If done right you get both djenty chunks and singing leads. Plus your power chords have interesting breakup but you still have enough clarity for more complex chords. It's an amazing feat. Why pick and choose when you can have it all?!

• Hey, great post man !!

The problem with the Mesa MARK amps is that they are so versatile that everyone has his own definition of a Boogie MARK tone and each profile is just the interpretation of the guy who profiled it. So very hard to make it working great for everyone.

I mean, Master of Puppets IIC+ and Al Di Meola Boogie tone are totally different.

I personnally like to push the BIAS and Tube setting at max for my profiles, because it adds some life to the tone with my gear. Of course, change the headphones, or put it in studio monitors and it could mud the tone. This is what I love with the Kemper. A profile is the representation of the interpretation of the amp by the author.

This is the definition of a good music instrument. Each one will play with the same gear/same settings, but will sound different ;)

• Hey everybody, I have been completely side-tracked from this task. I didn't mean to leave anyone hanging, but I'm completely a hobby player; so when my free time goes away, so do I so to speak...

I hope to get a pack out by mid-summer. For tweaked commercial profiles I simply change the amp and cab profile to a dummy one. It will be very obvious which amp/cab profile should go on the rig, so long as you own the commercial profile.

In the meantime, I did upload some tweaked Djemass Mark IIC+ profiles to the rig exchange. Just search for "MAB".

Bjorn - I have your profiles from the RE and they're great - most of my modern rhythm tones used your profiles.

• Cool :thumbup:
    Looking forward to that pack.
    I am also a hobby player :)